The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Sheffield accommodation advice

I'm looking to apply for accommodation at sheffield. I think I prefer endcliffe as a place but I'm worried it will be too loud - are there any quieter blocks in endcliffe or would people suggest ranmoor? I'm worried that I'll chose ranmoor, which is also further away with less green space and it will be too quiet and as a result I will never leave my room or go out and feel like I'm out of a bubble. If anyone has any advice on blocks or advice in general I would greatly appreciate it thanks.
Original post by Anonymous
I'm looking to apply for accommodation at sheffield. I think I prefer endcliffe as a place but I'm worried it will be too loud - are there any quieter blocks in endcliffe or would people suggest ranmoor? I'm worried that I'll chose ranmoor, which is also further away with less green space and it will be too quiet and as a result I will never leave my room or go out and feel like I'm out of a bubble. If anyone has any advice on blocks or advice in general I would greatly appreciate it thanks.

Hi :smile:

I'm planning to go to Sheffield but I'm not too sure about the accommodation because I've only just started reading about their accommodation. But if I'm not mistaken, Endcliffe and Ranmoor are located within 5 minutes of each other so I don't really think it matters which one of the two you end up.

Any students already from Sheffield please correct me if I'm wrong about that. :h:
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Original post by SpanishGonkey
Hi :smile:

I'm planning to go to Sheffield but I'm not too sure about the accommodation because I've only just started reading about their accommodation. But if I'm not mistaken, Endcliffe and Ranmoor are located within 5 minutes of each other so I don't really think it matters which one of the two you end up.

Any students already from Sheffield please correct me if I'm wrong about that. :h:

were there specific blocks you personally were considering?
were there specific blocks you personally were considering?

Hello
I'm not really considering any specific blocks yet but I'd like to know more about them, could you please explain a bit more about them.
Thanks
(edited 1 year ago)
I'm not really sure as I have not applied yet.
I have heard endcliffe is a lot noiser and to try and avoid blocks such as burbage which are very noisy as they are close to the taxi rink (I'm not sure but I think derwent is also quite noisy.)
Ranmoor is a bit quieter but I do not know much about the blocks there tbh.
I'm not really sure as I have not applied yet.
I have heard endcliffe is a lot noiser and to try and avoid blocks such as burbage which are very noisy as they are close to the taxi rink (I'm not sure but I think derwent is also quite noisy.)
Ranmoor is a bit quieter but I do not know much about the blocks there tbh.

It's ok. Thanks for replying anyways :smile:
Original post by SpanishGonkey
It's ok. Thanks for replying anyways :smile:

No worries :smile:

Don't know if they have any spaces left but try Crewe flats, it's known for being one of the quieter accomodations and has a close knit feel as well as a lot of green space, it is also closer to the uni than the others but still only around a 5 minute walk away from the other accomodations

Hello!

I was in the same position as you when choosing my accommodation for 1st Year. I decided to stay in Ranmoor as I wanted somewhere a bit quieter but still social and I found I did get the perfect balance there. I stayed in Kinder block B but the majority of the blocks in Ranmoor are very similar (there isn't any known noisy/ party flats as far as I am aware of like there is more in Endcliffe). I see it's already been mentioned but Ranmoor is super close to Endcliffe and in freshers I would go round to friends flats in Endcliffe for some parties and some other flats in Ranmoor too. Both Ranmoor and Endcliffe are in a really green area- this was one of my favourite things about my 1st year accommodation, so I wouldn't worry about feeling like your in a bubble as both are not secluded areas! Blocks in Endcliffe do vary a bit more, Endcliffe is much larger than Ranmoor, as you have mentioned yes Derwent is known as a more noisy/party flat as is Froggatt if this is something you are wanting to avoid. That being said it is a little bit of luck when it comes to student halls as you don't know a lot about people who will be in your flat/block/building, I recommend using the 'bio' section when looking at accommodation to try and find some flatmates with similar interests/preferences.

Hope this helps, feel free to ask anymore questions !:smile:

Alisha
3rd Year
BMedSci Orthoptics
Original post by University of Sheffield Students
Hello!

I was in the same position as you when choosing my accommodation for 1st Year. I decided to stay in Ranmoor as I wanted somewhere a bit quieter but still social and I found I did get the perfect balance there. I stayed in Kinder block B but the majority of the blocks in Ranmoor are very similar (there isn't any known noisy/ party flats as far as I am aware of like there is more in Endcliffe). I see it's already been mentioned but Ranmoor is super close to Endcliffe and in freshers I would go round to friends flats in Endcliffe for some parties and some other flats in Ranmoor too. Both Ranmoor and Endcliffe are in a really green area- this was one of my favourite things about my 1st year accommodation, so I wouldn't worry about feeling like your in a bubble as both are not secluded areas! Blocks in Endcliffe do vary a bit more, Endcliffe is much larger than Ranmoor, as you have mentioned yes Derwent is known as a more noisy/party flat as is Froggatt if this is something you are wanting to avoid. That being said it is a little bit of luck when it comes to student halls as you don't know a lot about people who will be in your flat/block/building, I recommend using the 'bio' section when looking at accommodation to try and find some flatmates with similar interests/preferences.

Hope this helps, feel free to ask anymore questions !:smile:

Alisha
3rd Year
BMedSci Orthoptics

Thank you for that :smile: I have booked a flat and am staying in windgather in ranmoor.

Hi,
I'm Looking for someone to take over my tenancy at The Forge - in Sheffield - from 17th September 2022 - 22nd July 2023. The room is a studio premium range 1 (top of the range) and is very specious and well done up. All bills are included within the rent.
The room has a double bed and your own kitchen as well as a large desk.
Rent is £155 a week. (this price is negotiable as I am in a rush to transfer so I am willing to subsidies some of the rent).
email me at [email protected] for anyone interested / for more details.
Original post by Jess_Lomas
Don't know if they have any spaces left but try Crewe flats, it's known for being one of the quieter accomodations and has a close knit feel as well as a lot of green space, it is also closer to the uni than the others but still only around a 5 minute walk away from the other accomodations

Am currently in Crewe

Would like to correct this haha. Its arguably one of the loudest and most social accommodations as is away from the watchful eye of the edge security team who come and shut down loud music etc after 11pm.

Super close knit community and great vibe but defineitlty one of the loudest accommodations, not helped by extremely thin walls.
Am currently in Crewe

Would like to correct this haha. Its arguably one of the loudest and most social accommodations as is away from the watchful eye of the edge security team who come and shut down loud music etc after 11pm.

Super close knit community and great vibe but defineitlty one of the loudest accommodations, not helped by extremely thin walls.

Oh, I was told it was one of the quite ones by the uni as I have autism, by any chance do you know which are the quietest
Original post by Jess_Lomas
Oh, I was told it was one of the quite ones by the uni as I have autism, by any chance do you know which are the quietest

If noise is going to be a big issue, Crewe is almost definitely not the best place for you at least if your years anything like its been here

If you want guaranteed quiet accodation, i absolutely recommend any city accommodation. Ive heard Allen Court is a nice mis of the walls being really thick so its very quiet, but also having a social life. In term of quiet ones on or around endcliffe, theres Cresent Flats on Endcliffe, and then basically anywhere on ranmoor which is generally much quieter than endclliffe.

But yeah, please think twice about Crewe if noise is something that will really bother you
Thank you for that :smile: I have booked a flat and am staying in windgather in ranmoor.

You're welcome ! Hope you have a great time there:smile:

Alisha
3rd Year
BMedSci Orthoptics
Reply 15
I really liked the look of Endcliffe when I visited but Ranmoor seems to have better availability. I like a bit of social life but not after non stop loudness so wondering if there are any blocks like that in Endcliffe? Otherwise Ranmoor still looks a great option.
Original post by GL_9
I really liked the look of Endcliffe when I visited but Ranmoor seems to have better availability. I like a bit of social life but not after non stop loudness so wondering if there are any blocks like that in Endcliffe? Otherwise Ranmoor still looks a great option.

Hi there!

I don't know a lot about specific blocks in Endcliffe in terms of which would be a bit quieter. My best advise would be to avoid the main central blocks (Derwent/Frogatt/Howden etc.) as these are stereotyped as a bit more partyish and go for some that are on the edge of Endcliffe. That being said it is definitely still a bit of pot luck as it depends who is in your block!

I've linked here to a map of Ranmoor/Endcliffe to help you out a bit. Let me know if you have anymore questions!

Alisha
3rd Year
BMedSci Orthoptics
Original post by GMcCarthy_03
Does anyone know how many fridges, ovens etc there are in accommodation in Howden sharing with 8? Also where is the best place to be in Howden that isn’t really really loud. What is the B block like?. Any help would be great :smile:

Hi there!

The number of fridges/ovens etc does vary slightly between blocks. I stayed in a 6 person flat and had 2 fridge freezers and 1 oven between us. One of my friends had a 10 person flat and had 3 fridges between them and I believe still 1 oven just to give you an idea. I can't reliably comment on how loud Howden is, it is known to be a more social block and is more central in Endcliffe but that's as much as a know. Hope this helps a little bit, let me know if you have anymore questions! :smile:

Alisha
3rd Year
BMedSci Orthoptics

Quick Reply

Latest