The Student Room Group

Gcse grade too low to study at a Russel Group / Oxbridge

I am posting to enquire about my future in regards to an application for Cambridge in a couple of years time.
I am due to sit my GCSE exams in a matter of months and am concerned about my results in comparison to the aspiration of studying at Cambridge and the wider russel group unis / elite universities, when the time arrives.

I attend a fairly 'poor performing' school unfortunately and there have been a multitude of staff inconsistencies which have resulted in a wide array of grade droppings in the GCSE subjects, in addition to the disruption Covid has brought to my education and various other factors in relation to the school.
Due to having various maths teachers along my two years studying at this school, my entire class has been told to take the foundation paper meaning the highest grade I can achieve is a 5, this is the same for my sciences too, but the low grades in science are a trend amongst my piers and the school as a whole.
I am predicted grade 9's in English,
8/9 in History,
And 7/8 grades in Media Studies,
I am just emailing to enquire whether my low performance in my GCSE's will affect my application, and the likely hood in my application success to study Law or a Politics related course, when the time comes.
I am looking to study: Politics, History, music and Philosophy at A-Level; should my target grades reflect those necessary to apply for an undergraduate degree at Cambridge or one of the other russel group unis like York, Bristol or Durham: (A*/A), will my GCSE's stop me from being successful in my application, or will my GCSE's be unconsidered as I appreciate my GCSE's are unfortunately going to be low for a Cambridge / Russel prospective student but I don't believe they will represent fully my work ethic or academic abilities.
Any information would be really appreciated and any advice in the relevant A-Levels for a competitive application for studying law or a politics related course, as I know most uni's do not require specific subjects,
Ellis :smile:
Reply 1
My understanding is that GCSEs can have quite a big impact on your application if you want to go to Oxford or Cambridge, but most other universities focus on personal statement and A level grades.

The absolute best thing you can do is look at the universities' websites in detail (i.e. entry requirements for your subject/admissions policies for that faculty) and email them if anything is too vague for your liking
Doesn't matter for most "Russell Group" unis (which is also a meaningless metric as it's a political lobbying group *** graduate research consortium and hence membership has no bearing on undergraduate teaching whatsoever), and Cambridge do not put a great deal of emphasis on GCSEs, and consider them holistically. Cambridge also generally views an "upwards trajectory" in grades favourably. It would really only be a major issue for Oxford or LSE I would imagine.
I got rejected from Oxford because of my GCSEs - applied for Law with A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*AAB. GCSEs are very important for Oxford but less important for Cambridge, I’ve heard.

I have an offer to study Law at Durham next year though, and I’m pretty sure if you’re a contextual applicant (go to state school, live in a disadvantaged area) they are a bit more lenient as I know people who go to private school who have been rejected that have the same GCSE grades as me.

However, keep in mind that GCSEs are one aspect of your application, personal statement and predicted grades for A-Levels are very important also. If you do go on to apply for Law, the LNAT (admissions test) is very very important. :smile:
Reply 4
Hii so I am currently in year 12 and I study history and politics a level and I want to go on to study law at uni too. Oxbridge definitely looks more at gcses than any other Russel group unis, and I believe a minimum 7s is what they want (this is what my career advisor told me.) I'm not sure abt Cambridge, but I'm due to apply to Oxford and they look at GCSE grades in context, so they take into consideration things such as applicant's school and neighborhood. Unfortunately, it will affect Oxbridge applications, not TOO much but it is something they look at. Successful oxford applications have had 7s,8s,9s at GCSE.
And for a competitive application, extracurriculars r a good thing to have. unis want to see u go above and beyond for yr desired subject, so things like work experience (even virtually) taster days, masterclasses, open days and wider reading help too.
Reply 5
Original post by isabel13x
I got rejected from Oxford because of my GCSEs - applied for Law with A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*AAB. GCSEs are very important for Oxford but less important for Cambridge, I’ve heard.

I have an offer to study Law at Durham next year though, and I’m pretty sure if you’re a contextual applicant (go to state school, live in a disadvantaged area) they are a bit more lenient as I know people who go to private school who have been rejected that have the same GCSE grades as me.

However, keep in mind that GCSEs are one aspect of your application, personal statement and predicted grades for A-Levels are very important also. If you do go on to apply for Law, the LNAT (admissions test) is very very important. :smile:

u got rejected with those GCSEs??? those look great imo
Original post by s__k
u got rejected with those GCSEs??? those look great imo

Yeah I was quite shocked when they gave my GCSEs as a reason. To be fair most people that apply to Oxbridge have all A*s/9s and competition was tough this year, so I guess that’s probably why!
Reply 7
Original post by isabel13x
Yeah I was quite shocked when they gave my GCSEs as a reason. To be fair most people that apply to Oxbridge have all A*s/9s and competition was tough this year, so I guess that’s probably why!

Damn I was due to apply to oxford and u got way better than me! Hope u have fun at Durham x
Original post by artful_lounger
Doesn't matter for most "Russell Group" unis (which is also a meaningless metric as it's a political lobbying group *** graduate research consortium and hence membership has no bearing on undergraduate teaching whatsoever), and Cambridge do not put a great deal of emphasis on GCSEs, and consider them holistically. Cambridge also generally views an "upwards trajectory" in grades favourably. It would really only be a major issue for Oxford or LSE I would imagine.

Cambridge was always the "more desired" for me out of Oxbridge anyway,
I do live in what would be considered a "low socio economic area" and attend a school with no good track record. I am in one of the top classes and every student has been put onto foundation maths and sciences. I'm going to try bargaining with my maths teacher, but I've missed too much content to even start and I'm really worried i cant get into a good uni :/
Only important for places like Oxford (Cambridge places Α LOT less emphasis) and if you wanted to do a course like medicine, however as you’ve stated you could eligible for contextual offers
Original post by Egrayson225
I am posting to enquire about my future in regards to an application for Cambridge in a couple of years time.
I am due to sit my GCSE exams in a matter of months and am concerned about my results in comparison to the aspiration of studying at Cambridge and the wider russel group unis / elite universities, when the time arrives.

I attend a fairly 'poor performing' school unfortunately and there have been a multitude of staff inconsistencies which have resulted in a wide array of grade droppings in the GCSE subjects, in addition to the disruption Covid has brought to my education and various other factors in relation to the school.
Due to having various maths teachers along my two years studying at this school, my entire class has been told to take the foundation paper meaning the highest grade I can achieve is a 5, this is the same for my sciences too, but the low grades in science are a trend amongst my piers and the school as a whole.
I am predicted grade 9's in English,
8/9 in History,
And 7/8 grades in Media Studies,
I am just emailing to enquire whether my low performance in my GCSE's will affect my application, and the likely hood in my application success to study Law or a Politics related course, when the time comes.
I am looking to study: Politics, History, music and Philosophy at A-Level; should my target grades reflect those necessary to apply for an undergraduate degree at Cambridge or one of the other russel group unis like York, Bristol or Durham: (A*/A), will my GCSE's stop me from being successful in my application, or will my GCSE's be unconsidered as I appreciate my GCSE's are unfortunately going to be low for a Cambridge / Russel prospective student but I don't believe they will represent fully my work ethic or academic abilities.
Any information would be really appreciated and any advice in the relevant A-Levels for a competitive application for studying law or a politics related course, as I know most uni's do not require specific subjects,
Ellis :smile:

Original post by s__k
Hii so I am currently in year 12 and I study history and politics a level and I want to go on to study law at uni too. Oxbridge definitely looks more at gcses than any other Russel group unis, and I believe a minimum 7s is what they want (this is what my career advisor told me.) I'm not sure abt Cambridge, but I'm due to apply to Oxford and they look at GCSE grades in context, so they take into consideration things such as applicant's school and neighborhood. Unfortunately, it will affect Oxbridge applications, not TOO much but it is something they look at. Successful oxford applications have had 7s,8s,9s at GCSE.
And for a competitive application, extracurriculars r a good thing to have. unis want to see u go above and beyond for yr desired subject, so things like work experience (even virtually) taster days, masterclasses, open days and wider reading help too.

You'll probably get an interview if applying Cambridge. A-levels are defo more important so focus on those. For example, you mentioned doing A-level Politics for which I found this TES shop selling notes and essay plans super useful. https://www.tes.com/teaching-resources/shop/PearsonPolitician
If you email them, they'll sell you whatever you want, sometimes offering personalised essay plans and stuff.
Reply 11
Original post by snow.fall15
You'll probably get an interview if applying Cambridge. A-levels are defo more important so focus on those. For example, you mentioned doing A-level Politics for which I found this TES shop selling notes and essay plans super useful. https://www.tes.com/teaching-resources/shop/PearsonPolitician
If you email them, they'll sell you whatever you want, sometimes offering personalised essay plans and stuff.

Tysm for the website!!
I was looking at cambridge, however they want A*AA for law, Oxford want AAA minimum and I haven't been predicted an A*. I'm eligible for contextual offers but I haven't checked the specific oxbridge requirements.

Quick Reply

Latest