The Student Room Group

How can I motivate myself to revise for GCSEs?

I’m in serious need of help. My GCSEs start in exactly 4 weeks and I’m as unmotivated as I’ve ever felt. I’ve had the whole 2 weeks of Easter to revise and as you’re probably guessing I’ve managed to do no revision, which now that I think about it makes me feel completely terrible. As soon as I try to revise and I attempt to memorize something I get instantly hit with this sense of dread. It’s like something that just instantly demotivates me when I start to revise holding me back! No matter what I do, I gain no motivation. I’ve tried youtube motivational speeches, tutorials on how to motivate yourself etc. but nothing’s really hit me. The state of mind I’m on right now is so bizarre, the days are passing by and the more I’m getting more stressed out, but at the same time you’ll see in my room sitting on my desk with a textbook open, staring blank at the wall having learnt nothing in 2 hours. Not to mention that I’m not the most academically gifted kid. In my mocks this year I got an 8 for French (which was expected as I come from a French speaking background), my second most notable grade was a 65 for science. The rest were either 4s or fails. Those grades included a grade 3 in Maths which I wasn’t expecting as I’m not that bad, but I just want to mention that I’m not that worried about that rn, as I ended up compensating for it in the smaller mocks we did later on with a high 5 (80%) as I’m doing foundation. For someone in my case I’m just wondering what’s the best thing for me to do? I have aspirations to go to 6th form as I have already got a conditional offer for my school’s.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Lost Kid
I’m in serious need of help. My GCSEs start in exactly 4 weeks and I’m as unmotivated as I’ve ever felt. I’ve had the whole 2 weeks of Easter to revise and as you’re probably guessing I’ve managed to do no revision, which now that I think about it makes me feel completely terrible. As soon as I try to revise and I attempt to memorize something I get instantly hit with this sense of dread. It’s like something that just instantly demotivates me when I start to revise holding me back! No matter what I do, I gain no motivation. I’ve tried youtube motivational speeches, tutorials on how to motivate yourself etc. but nothing’s really hit me. The state of mind I’m on right now is so bizarre, the days are passing by and the more I’m getting more stressed out, but at the same time you’ll see in my room sitting on my desk with a textbook open, staring blank at the wall having learnt nothing in 2 hours. Not to mention that I’m not the most academically gifted kid. In my mocks this year I got an 8 for French (which was expected as I come from a French speaking background), my second most notable grade was a 65 for science. The rest were either 4s or fails. Those grades included a grade 3 in Maths which I wasn’t expecting as I’m not that bad, but I just want to mention that I’m not that worried about that rn as I ended up compensating for it the smaller mocks we did later with a high 5 (80%) as I’m doing foundation. For someone in my case I’m just wondering what’s the best thing for me to do? I have aspirations to go to 6th form as I have already got a conditional offer for my school’s.

Do papers then tailor revision to the questions you struggled with.
Reply 2
Can this be like a way for me to start and adapt to revising. Or shall I just do this for the whole next 4 weeks
Reply 3
I’m in serious need of help. My GCSEs start in exactly 4 weeks and I’m as unmotivated as I’ve ever felt. I’ve had the whole 2 weeks of Easter to revise and as you’re probably guessing I’ve managed to do no revision, which now that I think about it makes me feel completely terrible. As soon as I try to revise and I attempt to memorize something I get instantly hit with this sense of dread. It’s like something that just instantly demotivates me when I start to revise holding me back! No matter what I do, I gain no motivation. I’ve tried youtube motivational speeches, tutorials on how to motivate yourself etc. but nothing’s really hit me. The state of mind I’m on right now is so bizarre, the days are passing by and the more I’m getting more stressed out, but at the same time you’ll see in my room sitting on my desk with a textbook open, staring blank at the wall having learnt nothing in 2 hours. Not to mention that I’m not the most academically gifted kid. In my mocks this year I got an 8 for French (which was expected as I come from a French speaking background), my second most notable grade was a 65 for science. The rest were either 4s or fails. Those grades included a grade 3 in Maths which I wasn’t expecting as I’m not that bad, but I just want to mention that I’m not that worried about that rn as I ended up compensating for it the smaller mocks we did later with a high 5 (80%) as I’m doing foundation. For someone in my case I’m just wondering what’s the best thing for me to do? I have aspirations to go to 6th form as I have already got a conditional offer for my school’s.

- Prioritise revising the things you don’t know. Do a RAG rating sheet on each topic for all your GCSEs and revise the reds the most, then the oranges and if you have time, go over the greens.

- Start a 5 minute timer and force yourself to focus and do as much work as you can in those 5 mins. Sometimes, the hardest part of revising is getting started.

- Make sure you get at least eight hours of sleep and eat healthy so you can focus. Also maybe avoid social media and distractions.

- Try focusing 5 mins, then 10, then 20 mins and every time you get something done, reward yourself with something. Make sure you don’t try to revise everything at once and take frequent breaks- maybe do 30 min sessions on each subject.

- Make a revision plan and follow it- but don’t spend ages making the plan because you have to get started ASAP.

- Do lots of past papers for maths (and other subjects too) and mark them. Whatever you got wrong, revise. Put a timer on so you don’t waste time looking at the wall or something (I do that too).

My GCSEs start in 24 days :redface: Good luck with yours!
Reply 4

I'm in year 12 and basically the same as you I've wasted my holiday with no revision and i practically live in my desk but do absolutely no work. But the past two days I've been trying to motivate myself. Motivation is temporary, you'll never really be motivated for a long period of time. I would say start off by taking all your distractions away, for me it was my phone and especially tiktok so i deleted it. I put my phone away too. Set a timer and test yourself to see how long you can work for before you get tired. If you stopped at 20 mins then have a 5 min break and study again for 20 mins and as the days go on try to increase the time or stay doing 20 mins if that works for you. After figuring that out then i suggest making a timetable and putting in what time you're going to study which subject and stick to it. Try to revise different subjects every now and then so you don't get bored of studying just one. It seems to me that you have the potential but you just need to put in the work. I'm very lazy too but i'm trying my best to overcome it. I have been feeling very guilty for wasting almost 20 days doing nothing but there's no point dwelling over what you can't change. Use the time that you have left to do as much revision as you can. Better late than never. Even if you start with an hour a day that's still an improvement. Don't overwork yourself to avoid burnout. Also use the advanced information, they've made it fairly easier than before because they literally tell you which topics will come up so use the advanced info as a guide. You can do this, get up and start now, once you've started you'll get into studying for longer just try not to think about how you've wasted so much time try to be your own motivator and reward yourself with a snack or something. You can do this!

Good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest