The Student Room Group

Can I send my UCAS application without the reference being sent yet?

My application is all done but my teacher can't complete my reference until Wednesday, is there any way I can submit it before hand as I've tried but it won't let me? I'm on a gap year and doing it all by myself so I am a bit lost. Any advice would be appreciated!

Scroll to see replies

Wait until Wednesday. Most Uni offices will not reopen until then and Admissions staff will then have a mountain of work to get through so there is no urgency. They wont process your application without the reference so sending it without one just creates further delay.

(Why are you applying so late?)
Agree with McGinger. Wait until Weds. It’s not going to make any difference to how you’re considered.
Reply 3
Original post by McGinger
Wait until Wednesday. Most Uni offices will not reopen until then and Admissions staff will then have a mountain of work to get through so there is no urgency. They wont process your application without the reference so sending it without one just creates further delay.

(Why are you applying so late?)

Okay thank you I will wait until Wednesday instead. I am applying late as I have been in and out of the psych ward since end of last year (my mental health is the reason why I took a gap year) so with no teachers to help me and no motivation I realised it was suddenly april and I hadn't applied yet. I had just been sleeping all day for months. I am stressing that late applications will close before my teacher sends the reference but I hope it won't
Original post by hihello__
I am stressing that late applications will close before my teacher sends the reference but I hope it won't

Have you phoned your 5 Universities to check that those Universities are still accepying applications for your chosen course?
Reply 5
Original post by McGinger
Have you phoned your 5 Universities to check that those Universities are still accepying applications for your chosen course?

my teacher said the reference is done, what do i do now?
my teacher said the reference is done, what do i do now?

You Pay and send. It then goes to your referee to add their bit and then they send it.
Reply 7
Original post by bamtutor
You Pay and send. It then goes to your referee to add their bit and then they send it.

i pay? what for and how do i do it?

You need to pay a UCAs fee of £22 if applying to one Uni and £26.50 if applying for 2-5.
Are you applying through a school using their Buzzword, or applying as an Independent?
Full details are at; https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/applying-university/ucas-undergraduate-when-apply?msclkid=1e63586dc0b211ecb038b0455f123f53

You pay for your application, once all the sections are done there should be a section where you can do it and it'll get sent off to unis by your referee.
Original post by WTSBLG
You pay for your application, once all the sections are done there should be a section where you can do it and it'll get sent off to unis by your referee.

So if you are applying independently, does it still need to be sent off to unis by the referee?
Just wondering because I am also applying via ucas
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Aminah T
So if you are applying independently, does it still need to be sent off to unis by the referee?

From UCAS guide at; https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/applying-university/how-get-ucas-undergraduate-reference
Or you can request a reference independently from someone else like a current or previous employer. Contact them and explain you’re looking for a personal reference/ recommendation to study so they know not to provide a standard HR reference. If they agree, head to the reference section of your application and fill in their details, we’ll email them instructions on what they need to do. Given them plenty of time to complete the reference. If you don’t hear back from them and decide to ask someone else, you can request another reference by clicking ‘Add a different person’. Once the reference has been provided we’ll email you to let you know the section is complete.

Keep in touch with your referee to make sure the reference is completed in time, and then you’ll be able to pay your application fee and send your application to us.
Original post by Aminah T

As said above, I believe that once your reference section is filled in by your referee, you can just hit pay and it'll be sent off :smile:
Original post by WTSBLG
As said above, I believe that once your reference section is filled in by your referee, you can just hit pay and it'll be sent off :smile:

Original post by bamtutor
From UCAS guide at; https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/applying-university/how-get-ucas-undergraduate-reference
Or you can request a reference independently from someone else like a current or previous employer. Contact them and explain you’re looking for a personal reference/ recommendation to study so they know not to provide a standard HR reference. If they agree, head to the reference section of your application and fill in their details, we’ll email them instructions on what they need to do. Given them plenty of time to complete the reference. If you don’t hear back from them and decide to ask someone else, you can request another reference by clicking ‘Add a different person’. Once the reference has been provided we’ll email you to let you know the section is complete.

Keep in touch with your referee to make sure the reference is completed in time, and then you’ll be able to pay your application fee and send your application to us.

Ah ok thank you so much! :h:
Reply 14
Original post by WTSBLG

my teacher said the reference is now done i can’t see the “pay” section anywhere?
my teacher said the reference is now done i can’t see the “pay” section anywhere?

Have you made sure that all the other sections have been marked as complete?
Reply 16
Original post by WTSBLG
Have you made sure that all the other sections have been marked as complete?

all sections are complete except the reference section, says section in progress?
all sections are complete except the reference section, says section in progress?

Has UCAS sent an email that the reference has been completed?
Reply 18
Original post by WTSBLG
Has UCAS sent an email that the reference has been completed?

no they haven’t
no they haven’t

It's possible that whilst your teacher has completed it, it hasn't been submitted yet? Are you able to email your teacher to ask about it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending