The Student Room Group

Maths Opportunites

What opportunities are there for sixth formers who wish to do super-curriculars for maths, in preperation for university? I already know of the UKMT Challenges, but other things beyond that, like competitions or lectures or work experience etc. For reference, I'm currently studying in year 12.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by superharrydude09
What opportunities are there for sixth formers who wish to do super-curriculars for maths, in preperation for university? I already know of the UKMT Challenges, but other things beyond that, like competitions or lectures or work experience etc. For reference, I'm currently studying in year 12.

There are maths competitions run by Ritangle (Nov/Dec), Lincoln (Christmas), Manchester (Jan), Liverpool (Feb/Mar), amongst others. Theres the Euler coding, plenty of "pop" maths lectures on youtube. Nrich and Plus from Cambridge. You could work through some historical maths stuff (greek geometry / diophantine / ...) or pick some current problems like collatz and see what you understand / has been done / ... Martin Gardner has done a ton of recreational maths books, amongst many others. There are some problem solving olympiad books (beyond the multichoice challenges) to learn / practice on. The ukmt mentoring program.

Thats barely scratching the surface. Just pick something thats interesting and get stuck in.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by superharrydude09

If your good at it they can consider you for a class to lecture

Quick Reply

Latest