The Student Room Group

Tips for English Language?

I find myself struggling so much with language, I’m predicted a 7 in English literature but literally a 5 in language. Does anyone have any advice it would be very much appreciated 🙈
Hey. I got a 9 in English Language. Even though it was like 3 years ago- I have some tips! You really need to familiarise yourself with rhetorical devices. As many as you can, and I'm not referring to basic ones like alliterations, similies, etc.

To impress the examiner, have a look at these. https://examples.yourdictionary.com/examples-of-rhetorical-devices.html

Make sure to analyse a lot of texts and look for these rhetorical devices throughout once you have an understanding of what they are. Do a lot of wider reading, read newspapers etc.
Reply 2
Original post by LawApplicant03
Hey. I got a 9 in English Language. Even though it was like 3 years ago- I have some tips! You really need to familiarise yourself with rhetorical devices. As many as you can, and I'm not referring to basic ones like alliterations, similies, etc.

To impress the examiner, have a look at these. https://examples.yourdictionary.com/examples-of-rhetorical-devices.html

Make sure to analyse a lot of texts and look for these rhetorical devices throughout once you have an understanding of what they are. Do a lot of wider reading, read newspapers etc.

Hey thanks so much for your help! I’ll have a look at the website :smile:
Original post by Heylove
I find myself struggling so much with language, I’m predicted a 7 in English literature but literally a 5 in language. Does anyone have any advice it would be very much appreciated 🙈

I advise you to read the mark scheme a little bit more in depth. Try to think of every single viewpoints you can think of in terms of the non-fiction paper. Build up your ideas as you go through the paper, the previous questions you may have done will help you with the big the question.

In terms of essay writing, avoid writing essays that are too abstract or overexaggerated. For example, don't say something like "I can see tall figurines of flesh waving towards me as I swim across the golden sea of society" if describing your day at the beach, since the reader will think you must have smoked 5kg of wed. If your grammar is crap (like mine), be very careful using high valued vocab. The examiners want you to correctly use the vocab. If you don't, you will look like a fool
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest