Asking my boss to change my hours

Watch this thread
eveabdel
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I recently started a new job and I have been here for a month. 9-5 in a law firm. I enjoy the work.

I have noticed that a few of my colleagues, some who travel for work and some who don't, work slightly different hours, ie. 8-4, 8.30-4.30. I was going to ask my boss when I start studying the LPC part time in September if I could change to 8-4 to free up evening time to study. I live close to the office, and get up early anyway because my boyfriend works at 7, and therefore I rarely gwt back to sleep.

At my last 9-5 the hours worked well for me, as I was driving to work, staying over at my boyfriends before we lived together etc and so I needed the time in the morning. However, since moving to Manchester and living in the city, I have realised that I am spending about 2 hours in the morning with little to do but get ready for work, I'm usually ready to go for 8 anyway and just watch TV. I want to ask my boss about changing my hours, even some of the days, to 8-4.

He usually works 7.30 until 4 anyway, then leaves for his train etc. And I think j it would be much better to be working when he is anyway.

How should I approach him about this? As I say, I've only been here 4 weeks and didn't anticipate the 9-5 not working well for me until I moved, but it would really help my overall lifestyle and mental health if I could switch.
DataVenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by eveabdel)
How should I approach him about this?
You're new to the company, so I suspect any conversation you have with your boss is going to a little awkward - as you'll be desperate not to look foolish or to ask for something that he's going to have to decline.

However, I'd have thought that the direct approach would work best: "John, I know my official hours are 9 to 5 but would 8 to 4 work for you just as well?"

All he can say is "Sure, no problem" or "Not really - let's stick with 9 to 5". No harm done.
threeportdrift
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
I recently started a new job and I have been here for a month. 9-5 in a law firm. I enjoy the work.

I have noticed that a few of my colleagues, some who travel for work and some who don't, work slightly different hours, ie. 8-4, 8.30-4.30. I was going to ask my boss when I start studying the LPC part time in September if I could change to 8-4 to free up evening time to study. I live close to the office, and get up early anyway because my boyfriend works at 7, and therefore I rarely gwt back to sleep.

At my last 9-5 the hours worked well for me, as I was driving to work, staying over at my boyfriends before we lived together etc and so I needed the time in the morning. However, since moving to Manchester and living in the city, I have realised that I am spending about 2 hours in the morning with little to do but get ready for work, I'm usually ready to go for 8 anyway and just watch TV. I want to ask my boss about changing my hours, even some of the days, to 8-4.

He usually works 7.30 until 4 anyway, then leaves for his train etc. And I think j it would be much better to be working when he is anyway.

How should I approach him about this? As I say, I've only been here 4 weeks and didn't anticipate the 9-5 not working well for me until I moved, but it would really help my overall lifestyle and mental health if I could switch.
It's not usually a big issue for a company, especially if you can see others are already doing it. however, a) you need to make the request much simpler than the above and b) I'd wait until much closer to September to ask because you will have established yourself much more within the organisation and if the answer is no, you can't do anything about it anyway.

Wait until July/August and then just ask your Boss if you can shift your working hours from 8-4 because you start a course in September. It's not a big issue for a Boss to deal with.
Muttly
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
Chat with your colleagues and ask if there is a process (form for HR) or protocol to request changing hours to 8x4?

That said if the office is open 9x5 they might need someone to stay and answer the phones until 5pm and that might be the newbie role?
eveabdel
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Update- he was super flexible about it and said as long as the hours aren't ridiculous I can work whatever suits me!
DataVenia
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Update- he was super flexible about it and said as long as the hours aren't ridiculous I can work whatever suits me!
Perfect! That's exactly what a good boss should have said.

Thanks for updating us too (it's always nice to know how these things pan out.)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (57)
26.51%
As I expected (68)
31.63%
Harder (82)
38.14%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (8)
3.72%

Watched Threads