The Student Room Group

Accidentally reversed and bumped my car into someone else’s

I stopped immediately and made sure there was no damage and the driver of the car came out too to have a look.

I was driving ahead when a car came in front and they just wouldn’t budge so made me reverse in the street. That’s when I didn’t realise I hit my car.

There was no sign of damage and I even apologised to the driver who inspected his car very carefully. I even called him to me to apologise.

He was frustrated and I was quite panicky but there was no damage on both of our casr. But for some reason, the next afternoon I saw huge scratch marks on the car in the afternoon (shared with my family member who took the car the day after). Those scratches were not related to this incident at all, as all that happened was my wing mirror just hit a bit of the car. Nothing else. I sat as a passenger the next day to be dropped off to work, as there was nothing when I saw it in morning.

But now looks like the driver has gone an done a claim. I’m a so scared! I don’t want to get into trouble by my family.

The claimant though has provided the incorrect date for the accident claim. My dad is the registered driver and I don’t want to be in trouble.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Lazy1212342
I stopped immediately and made sure there was no damage and the driver of the car came out too to have a look.

I was driving ahead when a car came in front and they just wouldn’t budge so made me reverse in the street. That’s when I didn’t realise I hit my car.

There was no sign of damage and I even apologised to the driver who inspected his car very carefully. I even called him to me to apologise.

He was frustrated and I was quite panicky but there was no damage on both of our casr. But for some reason, the next afternoon I saw huge scratch marks on the car in the afternoon (shared with my family member who took the car the day after). Those scratches were not related to this incident at all, as all that happened was my wing mirror just hit a bit of the car. Nothing else. I sat as a passenger the next day to be dropped off to work, as there was nothing when I saw it in morning.

But now looks like the driver has gone an done a claim. I’m a so scared! I don’t want to get into trouble by my family.

The claimant though has provided the incorrect date for the accident claim. My dad is the registered driver and I don’t want to be in trouble.

It sounds like you did the right thing - accidents can and do happen so don't worry.

@Driving_Mad could help with your claim query perhaps :smile:

Best wishes.

Are you insured on the car? It doesn’t sound like you are by your last sentence?
Are the scratches on your car or theirs?
I am fully and legally insured on the car. There were no scratches or any form of damage on either of our cars when we inspected straight away.But a day later, I noticed severe damage as though someone has reversed into my car and driven off (this is a separate incident, but I feel the insurers might end up linking the two).
I wouldn’t of told your insurers about the scratches if it’s not related to the claim. You could end up paying excess twice for 2 separate accidents.
You really should of taken photos of the other car when the accident happened so that if the insurers did get involved you’ve got evidence that there wasn’t any damage. Or you need to get in contact with the person claiming and ask to see what damage they are claiming for and ask for some quotes they have gotten from garages.
Original post by sleepingsunshine
I wouldn’t of told your insurers about the scratches if it’s not related to the claim. You could end up paying excess twice for 2 separate accidents.

You are obligated to tell them even if not claiming, esp if it as described 'severe damage' (how would you explain yourself if they inspect the car as part of the claim and you haven't mentioned the damage?)

Tbh this tale is sounding a bit suss to me anyway, best letting the car owners and insurers deal with it imo.
Original post by sleepingsunshine
You really should of taken photos of the other car when the accident happened so that if the insurers did get involved you’ve got evidence that there wasn’t any damage. Or you need to get in contact with the person claiming and ask to see what damage they are claiming for and ask for some quotes they have gotten from garages.

I’m not making any claim myself, it is the opposite driver. Plus some of the scratches were on the opposite side.

how would I get in touch with them? As my insurers have not provided me with their details.
Reply 7
I’m not making any claim myself, it is the opposite driver. Plus some of the scratches were on the opposite side.

how would I get in touch with them? As my insurers have not provided me with their details.

You don't get in touch with them. You have no reason to do so. This is being dealt with by the two insurers.

Quick Reply

Latest