Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I know the majority of first-year undergrads live in catered Halls of Residence because you don't have to worry about cooking or cleaning, all costs are included, it's more social, it's closer to everything etc...but are there any things you don't like about them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellywood_5)
    I know the majority of first-year undergrads live in catered Halls of Residence because you don't have to worry about cooking or cleaning, all costs are included, it's more social, it's closer to everything etc...but are there any things you don't like about them?
    The good in general is poor quality. And if you're a picky eater you can end up buying your food from elsewhere rather more than you can actually afford.

ReputationRep:
    The disadvantage is that you have to cook and buy your own food. You can also eat healthily, as the catered food is not that healthy in some way. In addition, you might get bored with the food in cater halls.

ReputationRep:
    also in catered halls, there is a set time where you have to eat. if you are busy and cant make these times then you miss your breakfast,lunch,dinner etc and are paying for something your not getting

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chats)
    if you are busy and cant make these times then you miss your breakfast,lunch,dinner etc and are paying for something your not getting
    That's true. Although in my hall last year, if you knew that you wouldn't be able to attend a meal, you could fill in an 'absent from dinner' form and they would either keep a meal behind for you or you could arrange a packed meal to take beforehand.

I'm not sure this is a common thing amongst catered halls, but it at least made you feel you weren't paying for nothing.

ReputationRep:
    I would personaly hate the idea of a catered hall, I am a fussy eater and I hate not having a cooker or microwave when I go on holiday in hotels. Ther other problem is you have to have the meals at set times that may not fit into your social life well.

I know Salford have a system where for lunch they give you a voucher so you can get upto £2.60 worth of stuff from the canteen including in the rent. This I suppose is quite flexable but you must still eat dinner in the resturant at a set time.

Also rent for catered halls tends to be a lot more expensive and it often works out more expensive that just going to Tesco or Quality Save to buy the food.

ReputationRep:
    We have a card that you put credit on, and whenever you go for meals the credit is deducted so it's not a problem if you miss meals, you just put more money on when the credit goes down.

ReputationRep:
    I can't speak from experience, but my friend told me that it's impossible to sleep in halls because everyone is so noisy when they come in and basically don't give a f*** about anyone else... but then again she is quite negative about the whole uni experience :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophistiCat)
    I can't speak from experience, but my friend told me that it's impossible to sleep in halls because everyone is so noisy when they come in and basically don't give a f*** about anyone else... but then again she is quite negative about the whole uni experience :rolleyes:
    That can be a problem in all university accomodation. Self Catering flats could have a noisy housemate. If you live in private sector accomodation you stil have all the students who walk past late at night singing!

love Katy***

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophistiCat)
    That ties in with my experience of halls.

ReputationRep:
    i'd agree with most of that: 1) i have a very noisy neighbour who watches TV until 2am and brigs all her mates home etc....
    2)the food is pretty rubbish - different variations on rubber which i spose you get used to after a while!
    3.Mealtimes can be a bit of a nuisance at times eg i have hockey practice on a monday which means that i have to miss tea and so cook my own - which is a bit limiting when there is only a microwave and a toaster.
    4)it is really hard to concentrate sometimes especially when your subjects have exams at a different time ot the majority of other subjects and they are all out making loads of noise and you are trying to work.
    5) not forgetting the people who stand outside the back door having a fag!
    Having said all that it is easier in the respect that i dont have to cook or clean which made it much easier at the beginning when i was trying to cope with making new friends, finding my way around etc as it was one less pressure to cope with.

ReputationRep:
    Why are catered halls are more noiser and "troublesome" than non-catered halls?

ReputationRep:
    No, I wouldn't say catered halls are any noisier than self-catered. I'm in catered halls and they are quite noisy but I've been to self catered and it's the same. Plus, there is no reason why they shld be noisier. My worst experience was getting woken up at 2am by my next door neighbour's drunk boyfriend banging on the door the night before my first exam. He's a decent guy but I was so annoyed! Generally though, it's not too bad and u get used to the noise that there is.
    I agree with the disadvantages other ppl pointed out about catered halls. The food can be fairly nasty but in my experience it's usually fairly edible. However I've found that a lot of food is fried and the puddings are much more tempting than anything else. But where I am there usually are some relatively healthy options and a salad bar if u have the willpower! Finally, I seriously wldn't hav had the time to make myself proper food this year so I'm glad I'm catered. Self catering next year though, scary thought.

ReputationRep:
    No matter what kind of halls you live in, sometimes it's noisy. Depends on the people you live with.

ReputationRep:
    my halls are self-catered and i like it, although i run out of ideas for meals so quickly and sometimes i can't be bothered at all... i don't find my halls that noisy (although i think everyone gets the occasional 4am bang on the door as people come home... so annoying)

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    apparantly in durham they make you wear stuff to eat? dont know if this is true but i heard it from a fairly reliable friend.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danmint)
    apparantly in durham they make you wear stuff to eat? dont know if this is true but i heard it from a fairly reliable friend.
    what you mean like a bib? LMAO

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.