Biopsychology revision help for someone who doesn't do biology

Watch this thread
diya277
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I'm doing A Level Psychology and I am trying to revise the biopsychology topic. I don't study biology for A Level so I find it harder to grasp some of the concepts. Does anyone have any tips for me on how to revise biopsych specifically (especially since biology was my worst out of the sciences at GCSE)?
LivQMUL
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by diya277)
I'm doing A Level Psychology and I am trying to revise the biopsychology topic. I don't study biology for A Level so I find it harder to grasp some of the concepts. Does anyone have any tips for me on how to revise biopsych specifically (especially since biology was my worst out of the sciences at GCSE)?
Hey!

Something I would suggest is, to make it not too technical, look at the specification on your exam boards website for Psychology and compile a list of every topic within biopsychology so that you don't go too off-track in terms of trying to understand the biology. Then I would rank the topics in a traffic-light system (red being what you find most difficult and so on) and then focus on the things you find most difficult first and change your traffic-light ratings over time, changing what you focus on as you revise. And in terms of how to revise, I personally found the textbook really informative and comprehensive but there's many online resources, such as YouTube videos (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_U5...nel=emilyfroud) or summary documents for revision (https://www.simplypsychology.org/a-l...iological.html).

You could also ask a friend/relative who studies or has studied biology at A-Level or was good at it at GCSE level OR your teacher/a biology teacher to help you understand it. The biology in the topic isn't too much higher than GCSE level so you don't necessarily have to ask for help from someone who doesn't study/teach it at A-Level.

Biopsychology isn't as focused on biology as it seems, though! There are lots of very psychology-specific topics within it, such as ways of investigating the brain, but I imagine it's hard not to focus more on the biological aspects of it if you find it difficult. Once you start practicing and finding your best revision method, you will get the hang of it and eventually feel comfortable with the topic

Hope this helps!

- Liv, Student Ambassador and Official Rep
diya277
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Thank you!! I'll try these out!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (50)
26.04%
As I expected (64)
33.33%
Harder (70)
36.46%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (8)
4.17%

Watched Threads