The Student Room Group

What can i do with an early childhood studies degree?

Hello,
Can someone tell me what i can do with my early childhood studies degree? I have so many different ideas and am not too sure.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by martii123
Hello,
Can someone tell me what i can do with my early childhood studies degree? I have so many different ideas and am not too sure.

What are you interested in?

I graduated with a degree in Early Childhood Studies, many people including myself have gone into primary teaching. Some have gone into being a children's support worker and even social work. One of my friends in the course is now a teaching assistant, and my other two friends now work in the NHS (though not working directly with children).
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by 1secondsofvamps

I graduated with a degree in Early Childhood Studies, many people including myself have gone into primary teaching. Some have gone into being a children's support worker and even social work. One of my friends is now a teaching assistant, and my other two friends now work in the NHS (though not working directly with children).

i am interested in doing something about speech and language therapist. Do you think this is a good course and where can i apply for it? I was also thinking about becoming an early years teacher.
Wait so are you interested in Speech and Language Therapy or Teaching as a career?
i am interested in doing something about speech and language therapist. Do you think this is a good course and where can i apply for it? I was also thinking about becoming an early years teacher.

You would need to look at masters in speech and language therapy.
To be an early years teacher, you need either a PGCE with QTS or an EYITT.

Both careers you've mentioned are good, but you would need further studies.
Both are also very different, so think carefully about what it is you actually want to do.
Reply 5
You would need to look at masters in speech and language therapy.
To be an early years teacher, you need either a PGCE with QTS or an EYITT.

Both careers you've mentioned are good, but you would need further studies.
Both are also very different, so think carefully about what it is you actually want to do.

does the grades matter if i want to apply for a master degree in speech and language therapist?
Teaching
does the grades matter if i want to apply for a master degree in speech and language therapist?

This will differ depending on what university you apply to. But it's usually a minimum of 2:2
SLT is competitive so ideally you'd need a 2:1, though in any degree ideally in perhaps Biology/Psychology/English/Linguistics etc (so even Early Childhood Studies) would be good degrees. Experience is needed but would you not want to do SLT as a degree. What is your situation atm?
Reply 9
Original post by naanybready
SLT is competitive so ideally you'd need a 2:1, though in any degree ideally in perhaps Biology/Psychology/English/Linguistics etc (so even Early Childhood Studies) would be good degrees. Experience is needed but would you not want to do SLT as a degree. What is your situation atm?

at the moment i am writing my dissertation and was thinking about working with children in the early years. Then SLT degree was my option but i am still deciding what i want to do. I have been getting good grades 50% from my assignments.
ensure you get a 2:1 or 2:2. are you in your final year?
Reply 11
hello,
yes i am in my final year.
when is the deadline for you to apply for slt? would you rather do slt or teaching? you could even do social work msc
Reply 13
the application for Speech and language is now closed.
Hi, hope you are well. I studied for an Early Childhood degree at Newman university and now I’m currently near completing a MA in Education. There are lots you can do with an early years degree. For me personally i always wanted to teach but not on a primary education level. As i have a passion for early years i became interested in becoming a lecturer so i can teach my undergraduate degree to students. If you are thinking of going into early years teaching then I suggest looking at a PGCE where you can focus on a younger age group.
Reply 15
Original post by Alinah_NewmanUni
Hi, hope you are well. I studied for an Early Childhood degree at Newman university and now I’m currently near completing a MA in Education. There are lots you can do with an early years degree. For me personally i always wanted to teach but not on a primary education level. As i have a passion for early years i became interested in becoming a lecturer so i can teach my undergraduate degree to students. If you are thinking of going into early years teaching then I suggest looking at a PGCE where you can focus on a younger age group.

hello,
my passion is to work with the three to five year olds so which course can i apply for?
Education maybe :smile:
Reply 17

I graduated with a degree in Early Childhood Studies, many people including myself have gone into primary teaching. Some have gone into being a children's support worker and even social work. One of my friends in the course is now a teaching assistant, and my other two friends now work in the NHS (though not working directly with children).

Hi, sorry to ask u but I got a question for u. If I do a degree on Early Childhood studies, ho do I so onto children's support worker? will I have to do another academic year ?
Original post by Pao_
Hi, sorry to ask u but I got a question for u. If I do a degree on Early Childhood studies, ho do I so onto children's support worker? will I have to do another academic year ?

Nope. Luckily, children's support worker doesn't require specific qualifications.
You should be able to get a job one you've got your ECS degree.
hello,
my passion is to work with the three to five year olds so which course can i apply for?

Hi, I would either suggest you apply for a primary education degree with QTS (qualified teacher status) or you can do a degree in early childhood then a PGCE on top after which is an extra year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending