The Student Room Group

A Level options

Please choose 4 subjects that you think would be most useful/that I should do. I have listed subjects I think I would be able to do. Thank you. I want to keep my options open, but still be able to do medicine if I want to.

I put the last two options because I couldn't think of anything else...

ICT - is that a bit pointless? It seems to be just like GCSE but on a larger/harder scale, messing around with Microsoft programs...Surely that's not "real" computing....

Physics - my worst science (if you don't count maths as a science :frown: )
Reply 1
I voted Biology, Chemistry, English Lit and Spanish.

You usually need Chemistry and either Biol, Maths or Physics to do Medicine (I think).

Physics might be useful but there isn't much point doing it if you won't like it and if you might not get such a good grade.

English Lit, History and a language are all respected subjects that complement most things, so any 2 of the 3 would be fine. I would choose English Lit personally, but I think your remaining choice should be based on personal preference.
Reply 2
I voted for Chemistry, Biology, English language and Spanish. Chem because it's needed for Medicine by most of the unis, Biology because it's relatively straight forward, English language because some of the medical schools now favour a non science third subject and spanish because it's impressive (In England!) to speak a foreign language to a good level.
Well I'm more of an arty person so didn't vote for any science. Also, English lit is much more respectable than English language.

ICT... I do it and I'm enjoying it. It's a bit less technical than Computing. You learn about how IT is integrated into businesses and its effect on society, then also a module on the more technical side. You also do coursework in Excel/Access.

Economics you have to do because it is the best subject ever. :cool:
smallthoms
I voted Biology, Chemistry, English Lit and Spanish.

Me too. Chemistry and usually biology are essential for medicine. Maths or physics might be good, but if you don't think you'll do very well, it would be better to do something else. 2 sciences and 2 arts would be a perfect balance, allowing you to do either medicine or something else. I chose Spanish because it looks really good to have a foreign language (not biased at all, honest! :biggrin: ) and English lit because I personally prefer it to history, but both are good subjects.
Reply 5
It seems that bio, chem and English lit (ones that I was thinking of doing anyway) are almost definitely yes...Hmm, but what other subject to do?
No Future
It seems that bio, chem and English lit (ones that I was thinking of doing anyway) are almost definitely yes...Hmm, but what other subject to do?

History and Spanish are probably the most respected out of the ones that are left (not including physics because you don't seem too keen on that!) but it depends which you prefer.
Reply 7
Choose chemistry and biology for sure, as you are gonna do medicine. For the 3rd A-level, choose anything you like. :smile:
Reply 8
I chose Biology, Chemistry, Physics and English lit. Chemistry is pretty much essential for medicine, Biology is increasingly being asked for, then Physics gives you a coomplete science base, which will be invaluable for medicine, but physics is by no means essential. Two sciences is enough for medicine. I take all three of these subjects for AS, and Chemistry and Physics are great! Biology isn't SO great, but still quite good at times. I don't take English lit, but I loved English at GCSE, so had it been possible for me to fit an English course into my AS's (I do 5 subjects - the 3 sciences and double maths), I would've definitely taken some form English, probably literature or language/literature combined :smile: Good luck with the decision anyway :biggrin:
Reply 9
History would be the best 4th subject, if you want to keep your options open, as you would have 2 science and arts subjects.
Reply 10
History is really useful for essay skills and ways of thinking, and would provide a decent contrast to show that you can tackle boths arts and sciences.
i choose phy, bio, chem, the subject u like most take it as the 4th one. as chem and bio is needed to study medicine. phy also has its imp in medicine. if u want to keep options open for engeering take maths too. u can switch to any group any time if u have science background
Reply 12
I think you could take a random 4th subject that you will enjoy.
if u wana do medicin choose chem and bio DEFINATELY. try Math, and its a good alevel to have anyway. im doing law degree and math has helped me alot.

do Spanish or Music to make the applicatio n stand out. economics good too.
Reply 14
It's quite strange that not much uni's don't have math as a requirement for medicine and dentistry courses. Anyway, taking Math won't be that bad, as some uni's want some "critical thinking" A-level courses.

In Canada and US, they require Math.
Reply 15
dont do physics, ever.
take maths (AS), itll really help you with bio and chem trust me
alkaeda
dont do physics, ever.
take maths (AS), itll really help you with bio and chem trust me

not really. If you're GCSE grade B or above in maths, you'll be fine.
Reply 17
Grade C in math would also be fine too though.
Reply 18
most people have made reasonable suggestions!

i'd say just go with Biology & Chemistry definitely - makes life significantly easier for medicine & they're traditional subjects, so held in high regard.

with the other two - i'd just say go for what you enjoy most!

but with respect to keeping 'options open' i'd say languages/humanities/arts would be your best bet - to show your language/interpretation/creative skills rather than merely analytical & factual learning.

by not taking maths you'd make Biology or Chemistry more difficult at uni level, perhaps.. but if you're not thinking along these lines.. & you like all other subjects equally..

i'd recommend a foreign language - very useful - especially if you're thinking medicine & fancy doing an elective abroad. i'm so hopeless at foreign languages! :frown:

then it depends perhaps what sort of medical schools you'd be looking at - i'd have a tendency to advise English Lit/History for your other option (not just out of pure bias because i took them! :p: ) because London med. schools increasingly like 'arts' & i've thought history was one of the most invaluable subjects in terms of skills for the medical school i'm now at.

hope this may help. :smile:

Edit - re the talk of GCSE Maths - C grade may be 'fine' for doing AS Chem/Bio, but remember for a number of medical schools - they have minimum GCSE requirements, including Bs in English, Maths, Science etc.
Reply 19
I voted for biology, chemistry, history and economics.

I selected chemistry on the basis I believe it is essential for medicine and biology on the basis that it is often desirable. As for history, that was simply my interests getting away with me! As for economics, I selected that simply because I read recently that chemistry and economics go well together because they require similar skills - analysing data and applying it to new situations (or at least that's what this site says).

I received a sixth form prospectus for where I'm going next year (my school's sixth form centre) and it seemed a crazy amount of people took psychology! When you compare the number of psychology students to the number of French/German/Spanish students at my school, you really do see a big difference. Of course, that is just an isolated example so I don't know if it is the same all over the country.

I really suggest taking the subjects you enjoy and that you are good at. Of course, take the subjects you need to study medicine but also take the subjects you really have a passion for.

I've always been under the impression that computing is more respected than ICT though, if anyone knows any different, please correct me.

As for the maths thing: my school offers classes in maths for scientists (i.e. people studying science who aren't studying maths and need a bit of help). When I say classes, I imagine they are more one-to-one lessons with a teacher but I don't know for sure.

Latest