The Student Room Group

Spanish

I was hesitant at first on whether or not to pick Spanish for my GCSE but in the end, I chose to take the course as it was good for my future like all language subjects do. My grades were pretty good during year nine as I had a pretty good teacher, but later on, when I found out I was going to have a **** teacher after year nine that's when my grades went downhill.
Despite my current teacher having more experience than my previous teacher, she cannot teach at all. She makes us do textbooks every lesson without explaining how to form actual sentences, teaches us phrase formulas that never get brought up again, and makes us remember paragraphs that 'she' made up. Although I did do pretty well on my first reading test last term but this term I did completely ****. (This term we only had reading and listening) Most people did pretty well despite them saying it was a fluke but I felt that I was left out. Even my friend (that doesn't put in the effort at all) sitting next to me did better in her reading test than me, just saying she copies me ALL THE TIME. The reason why I did so **** is that the words she told us to remember were supposed to come up in the test. HARDLY any popped up. Does anyone know what to do or how I can revise with such a bad teacher? I'm also pretty sure she hates me because some people reported her because I was the victim of her being racist/offensive to me? To all the grade nine students how do I do better in Spanish?
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 1
Original post by userXi
I was hesitant at first on whether or not to pick Spanish for my GCSE but in the end, I chose to take the course as it was good for my future like all language subjects do. My grades were pretty good during year nine as I had a pretty good teacher, but later on, when I found out I was going to have a **** teacher after year nine that's when my grades went downhill.
Despite my current teacher having more experience than my previous teacher, she cannot teach at all. She makes us do textbooks every lesson without explaining how to form actual sentences, teaches us phrase formulas that never get brought up again, and makes us remember paragraphs that 'she' made up. Although I did do pretty well on my first reading test last term but this term I did completely ****. (This term we only had reading and listening) Most people did pretty well despite them saying it was a fluke but I felt that I was left out. Even my friend (that doesn't put in the effort at all) sitting next to me did better in her reading test than me, just saying she copies me ALL THE TIME. The reason why I did so **** is that the words she told us to remember were supposed to come up in the test. HARDLY any popped up. Does anyone know what to do or how I can revise with such a bad teacher? I'm also pretty sure she hates me because some people reported her because I was the victim of her being racist/offensive to me? To all the grade nine students how do I do better in Spanish?

hi, i think the best thing to do would just be to find people who are good at the subject or have been doing well in tests and ask them to tutor. or even just find an outside tutor. i don't do Spanish but i do mandarin and my teacher is also not amazing. but i got one of my friends to be tutoring me and now my grades are much better
i'm not entirely sure if this is helpful to your situation (or if it was just too vague in general) but i hope it helps and you do find a solution!
Original post by userXi

Hi there! I'm sorry that you're stuck with such an insufferable, racist teacher. To put bluntly, I hope you get a better teacher next year :tongue:
In all seriousness, you are not alone when it comes to self-studying for Spanish. Before you advance any further, note down the words you got wrong, and look them up. Note them down. Next: are you familiar with all the grammar principles, conjugation and tenses that came up on that test? I think at Year 10 you're juggling between 4-5 tenses so it's easy to confuse them and they often catch people out in reading/listening activities. To practise them, there are plenty of worksheets online, just search up GCSE [Exam Board] Spanish [Grammar Point] Worksheets. A good way to teach yourself grammar and tenses is to use textbook examples. Truthfully, a lot of the language is based on chunks rather than individual words since the translations aren't a cookie-cutter fit, you know? My school uses the Viva! online textbooks, and on every topic summary there are grammar and vocab summaries. Check it out if your school has it, if not I'll try and find you a PDF floating around online if you lmk the exam board.
For vocabulary learning, there are some godsent teachers who put entire topics (even grammar and conjugation) on Quizlet. Active Recall is essential for language learning - you need to remind yourself of the words again and again or you won't remember them! It does get boring, but there are several practise modes that can keep you occupied and jam the words into your brain.
Practise speaking Spanish when you can. I have a native Spanish friend who's open to listening to my flimsy Spanish. For passive learning, scrolling through Spanish social media is really fun and interesting: you can learn phrases and culture from it. You can also watch Spanish movies, or read Spanish articles, etc...
The key is to keep practising. Some people can absorb the vocab really easily but for most people it's about practise and usage.
Have fun and let me know if you need any help!! :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by salosalo
Hi there! I'm sorry that you're stuck with such an insufferable, racist teacher. To put bluntly, I hope you get a better teacher next year :tongue:
In all seriousness, you are not alone when it comes to self-studying for Spanish. Before you advance any further, note down the words you got wrong, and look them up. Note them down. Next: are you familiar with all the grammar principles, conjugation and tenses that came up on that test? I think at Year 10 you're juggling between 4-5 tenses so it's easy to confuse them and they often catch people out in reading/listening activities. To practise them, there are plenty of worksheets online, just search up GCSE [Exam Board] Spanish [Grammar Point] Worksheets. A good way to teach yourself grammar and tenses is to use textbook examples. Truthfully, a lot of the language is based on chunks rather than individual words since the translations aren't a cookie-cutter fit, you know? My school uses the Viva! online textbooks, and on every topic summary there are grammar and vocab summaries. Check it out if your school has it, if not I'll try and find you a PDF floating around online if you lmk the exam board.
For vocabulary learning, there are some godsent teachers who put entire topics (even grammar and conjugation) on Quizlet. Active Recall is essential for language learning - you need to remind yourself of the words again and again or you won't remember them! It does get boring, but there are several practise modes that can keep you occupied and jam the words into your brain.
Practise speaking Spanish when you can. I have a native Spanish friend who's open to listening to my flimsy Spanish. For passive learning, scrolling through Spanish social media is really fun and interesting: you can learn phrases and culture from it. You can also watch Spanish movies, or read Spanish articles, etc...
The key is to keep practising. Some people can absorb the vocab really easily but for most people it's about practise and usage.
Have fun and let me know if you need any help!! :smile:

Thank you soo much!

Quick Reply

Latest