The Student Room Group

Is a Level 3 Teaching Assistant Apprenticeship worth pursuing?

I already have my A-levels but I'm not sure if I want to go to university. I've always considered a career in teaching but I know that you really should go to university for this so I was wondering if this apprenticeship would be worth my time or not? It's low paid as is only a level 3, and obviously 'teaching assistant' which isn't the direction I necessarily want to go in future. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Original post by stillcrying
I already have my A-levels but I'm not sure if I want to go to university. I've always considered a career in teaching but I know that you really should go to university for this so I was wondering if this apprenticeship would be worth my time or not? It's low paid as is only a level 3, and obviously 'teaching assistant' which isn't the direction I necessarily want to go in future. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Hi @stillcrying,

I think this is actually a great option! It will give you a lot of insight in to whether or not teaching is something you want to pursue long term Universe is great, but it is a big commitment. With teaching being such a vocational degree it would be a shame to come out at the end, get a teaching job and then realise it's not for you. At least doing it this way around, you're getting real exposure of what it's like to be in the school environment full time, and you can make your decision based off your own real life experience.

If you decide that teaching isn't for you, you can always do something else. Working as a teaching assistant is going to give you a lot of experience that's applicable in a lot of area's. It will also give you insight in to the range of roles that exist in the education sector. For instance, you might decide that you don't want to be a teacher, or a teaching assistant long term, but educational psychology is something you'd be interested in.

Either way, it sound's like a win win situation. I did an apprenticeship before coming to uni, and it really shaped me and University experience massively (for the better). I also learned that knowing what you don't want to do, is just as important as knowing what you do want to do!

Hopefully this helps a little! All the best☺️
- Rebecca, 3rd Year Psychology Student

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending