The Student Room Group

Re-take module exam at uni

I have to retake an exam for just 1 module (out of 13 this year) in August. It's going to show on my transcript, and it will say 'attempt 2' next to it. Is this a big deal? I'm just in my first year, and the results for all my other modules are very good. I'm worried it will reduce the chances for me to get into a master's program after, as they ask for a transcript too.
I’m under the illusion that most universities don’t pay much attention to first year marks, as students are adjusting to a lot of change and a new way of working, so grades are often a lot lower. That why most universities/courses don’t count 1st year towards degree classifications and those that do, most disregard the first semester. If you do well at everything else you shouldn’t be affected. It’s the end classification they will pay most attention to. A lot of students also fail at least one module during their time at uni so you definitely won’t be alone, it’s how you manage it to prevent it from reoccurring. Good luck :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
I have to retake an exam for just 1 module (out of 13 this year) in August. It's going to show on my transcript, and it will say 'attempt 2' next to it. Is this a big deal? I'm just in my first year, and the results for all my other modules are very good. I'm worried it will reduce the chances for me to get into a master's program after, as they ask for a transcript too.

Hi!

It's only your first year so I wouldn't worry too much, as most universities don't pay much attention to first year. I'm currently doing my masters and when I applied they didn't pay any attention to my first year grades, the only grades I submitted were what I achieved in my second and final year in my undergrad.

I hope this helps!
Best wishes
Chloe - Official Student Rep :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending