The Student Room Group

english essay help!

Ive picked up english literature really late on in the year because of issues with other subjects and ive been set a 25 mark essay to do for homework and im absolutely stumped. ill post the question and if anyones done this question or a similar one could you pleeaaseee copy it into a comment on this thread because im having such a struggle working out what points to use and how to structure my essay so any help and examples would be hugely appreciated so i can try and get the hang of essay writing and at least produce something to hand in
the question is from june 2020 on Othello,
‘Iago does not understand love.’ In the light of this view, discuss how Shakespeare presents Iago’s attitudes to love in this extract and elsewhere in the play.
I reallly need help on this as my predicted grades are pretty much shot after changing subjects like 5 times and i dont know if im going to manage to get into uni at this rate
TIA
Original post by Quicksilver3690
Ive picked up english literature really late on in the year because of issues with other subjects and ive been set a 25 mark essay to do for homework and im absolutely stumped. ill post the question and if anyones done this question or a similar one could you pleeaaseee copy it into a comment on this thread because im having such a struggle working out what points to use and how to structure my essay so any help and examples would be hugely appreciated so i can try and get the hang of essay writing and at least produce something to hand in
‘Iago does not understand love.’ In the light of this view, discuss how Shakespeare presents Iago’s attitudes to love in this extract and elsewhere in the play.
I reallly need help on this as my predicted grades are pretty much shot after changing subjects like 5 times and i dont know if im going to manage to get into uni at this rate
TIA

you want it done or want advice
Have you looked at the exemplars for past papers? I don't think they're available for 2020, but that will give you an idea of what is expected.
You might find these useful for study skills - https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/student-life/study-skills-guides
Original post by Leishanti12
you want it done or want advice

i dont want it done for me id just like to see if anyone has any example essays around a similar area/ about othello as i have no idea really what a 25 marker should look like or how to structure it
a

Original post by penguingirl18
Have you looked at the exemplars for past papers? I don't think they're available for 2020, but that will give you an idea of what is expected.

i cant find any actual complete essays to look at to see how they should be structured or the sort of things i should be writing about if you had the link to something like that i would really appreciate it:smile:
a

i cant find any actual complete essays to look at to see how they should be structured or the sort of things i should be writing about if you had the link to something like that i would really appreciate it:smile:

What exam board do you do? Here's one examiner's report from Edexcel. Several full level 5 responses are included, but you have to scroll to find them because most of the document is general examiner commentary.
https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A-Level/English-Literature/2015/Exam-materials/9ET0_01_pef_20190815.pdf
Best of luck :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
TIA

This sounds like a fun question!

I don't know what you mean by '25 marker' (if I knew the board I could provide more advice) but most English essays are structured in the same way: intro has your main argument (thesis statement) and then say... 3 main body paragraphs, each with the first sentence expressing sub-arguments.

So your overall argument could be: it initially seems like Iago doesn't understand love because of the way he destroys Desdemona and Othello's marriage. However, Iago just doesn't value their love, he still understands it, as this understanding of it is what allows him to corrupt their relationship.

Then you could have a paragraph on three different ways Iago's understanding of love is used maliciously, how he manipulates these passions to bring about destruction (eg. inciting jealousy in Othello by suggesting Desdemona has been sexually unfaithful so his stong soldier like will goes from being what protects her to what kills her; reducing their love for each other at multiple times to just lust eg. 'beast with two backs', how he creates a sense of Desdemona's dirtiness and how this might play with imagery of whiteness and blackness, cleanliness and dirtiness; and a third idea).

Because you have an extract that you also need to write about, at some points in your paragraph just have the phrase 'this links to x quote from the extract' and explain that connection, and perhaps analyse the language devices in that particular quote. Check to see if the markscheme requires you to write 50/50 on the extract and the play as a whole: if it doesn't say, you're probably fine just referring to the extract once per paragraph! (but try and refer to a quote from the beginning and, crucially, the end of the extract so it looks like you've covered the entirety of it).

Relevant context, if this question is being assessed for context, is that in Shakespeare's source text for Othello, Iago does all this awful stuff to Othello because he's in love with Desdemona! But Shakespeare's villain seems far more cold and motiveless, and he removes Iago's love for Desdemona as being his motive. Also, I think that a lot of Othello's passions (a good word for describing strong emotions in Early modern literature) are described with medical terms from Galenic or humoural theory. IDK: look up Galen and Love I suppose! It is good context.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending