The Student Room Group

further math - past papers

How does the old spec pass papers work for the modules I take

Core 1
Core 2
Statistics 1
Decision 1

I can’t seem the figure it out for the further maths pass papers
It depends which exam board and specification you are now studying.

Core 1, Core 2, Statistics 1 and Mechanics 1 are roughly what students used to do in 1st year of A-level maths although a few of the topics have now been switched into 2nd year and some 2nd year topics are now in 1st year so you may have to skip some questions or use the A2 papers for some topics.
Reply 2
Original post by physgradstudent

Core 1, Core 2, Statistics 1 and Mechanics 1 are roughly what students used to do in 1st year of A-level maths although a few of the topics have now been switched into 2nd year and some 2nd year topics are now in 1st year so you may have to skip some questions or use the A2 papers for some topics.

Okay so I take edexcel
From my understand C1,C2,C3,C4 - normal maths (pure )

S1 and M1 are normal maths stats and mech

But for the “further math D1, S1 modules it’s abit more confusing on figuring out the papers… and even the further maths pure content

The new further maths pure section has elements from FP1, FP2 and FP3. The new further S1 is mostly like the old S2, but with a couple of topics from S3 (Chi-squared tests) and S4 (Quality of tests). The new further D1 is mostly like the old D1 with some extra topics from D2. Be careful though because there's also some new topics that weren't on any of the old A-level papers
Reply 4
The new further maths pure section has elements from FP1, FP2 and FP3. The new further S1 is mostly like the old S2, but with a couple of topics from S3 (Chi-squared tests) and S4 (Quality of tests). The new further D1 is mostly like the old D1 with some extra topics from D2. Be careful though because there's also some new topics that weren't on any of the old A-level papers

Okay thank you for letting me know all this !

Any suggestion on what to do is it worth doing these papers ?
It's definitely worth doing the questions in the old papers. I would recommend for example doing the S1/D1 papers, but you hopefully should be able to spot if a question is on something that you've not covered in your course and if that's the case do a different question from S2/S3/D2 that is on a topic you recognize in its place.

For further pure maybe just go through all the papers from a particular exam season and mark out all the questions that are relevant to you and just do those rather than the whole paper.
Reply 6
It's definitely worth doing the questions in the old papers. I would recommend for example doing the S1/D1 papers, but you hopefully should be able to spot if a question is on something that you've not covered in your course and if that's the case do a different question from S2/S3/D2 that is on a topic you recognize in its place.

For further pure maybe just go through all the papers from a particular exam season and mark out all the questions that are relevant to you and just do those rather than the whole paper.

Okay thank you for the advice ! So s3 and D2 may also have some relevant topics ?
Original post by 8728
Okay thank you for the advice ! So s3 and D2 may also have some relevant topics ?

Yes definitely. S4 even has the quality of tests stuff too.
Reply 8
Yes definitely. S4 even has the quality of tests stuff too.

Damn okay I will 😭 it’s so confusing but thank you for explaining it because I find the text book questions much easier but now I’ll start the old spec pass papers

Quick Reply

Latest