The Student Room Group

About to publish something with offensive content in it

I am self publishing on amazon and there are characters in the short story who are not very nice. - racist homophobic. I know that the narrative which doesn’t endorse such behaviours overall will , nevertheless, offfend people.

Should I be worried it having an effect on my personal life?

Surely its just fiction
Reply 1
Anyone
Original post by Anonymous
I am self publishing on amazon and there are characters in the short story who are not very nice. - racist homophobic. I know that the narrative which doesn’t endorse such behaviours overall will , nevertheless, offfend people.

Surely its just fiction

I mean, many books have characters like that. Unless that character is an author surrogate, I think you should be fine. But I think you should share the book I would love to read it
Original post by Anonymous

Surely its just fiction

No.
It is merely fiction, as per your words.
I doubt anyone would care enough about it such that they would try to affect your personal life...
(edited 2 years ago)
Almost all fiction has either a villain or some very unpleasant minor characters who say/do things that show the reader how nasty their personalities are.
Many of the most famous and best selling authors in the uk have included very nasty characters, disturbing crimes or horrifying scenes in their fictional works.

You should be fine as long as you have not used the names or titles of real people alive today and use the fiction disclaimer below.
'All names, characters, business, events and incidents are the products of the author's imagination. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental'.

Always trust your gut instinct and listen to what your common sense is telling you. :smile:
If you prefer to publish under a pen name to protect your own identity, do that.
Original post by londonmyst
Almost all fiction has either a villain or some very unpleasant minor characters who say/do things that show the reader how nasty their personalities are.
Many of the most famous and best selling authors in the uk have included very nasty characters, disturbing crimes or horrifying scenes in their fictional works.

You should be fine as long as you have not used the names or titles of real people alive today and use the fiction disclaimer below.
'All names, characters, business, events and incidents are the products of the author's imagination. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental'.

Always trust your gut instinct and listen to what your common sense is telling you. :smile:
If you prefer to publish under a pen name to protect your own identity, do that.

PRSOM.
I preferred this thread the first time around to be honest.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7163327
(edited 2 years ago)
londonmyst hit the nail on the head in her first para; i mean sums it up perfectly.

moreover OP you need to bear in mind it's one thing to write flawed (or 'offensive' as you call it) characters and quite another to write an offensive story. flawed characters are just an expression or example that exists in the world and sometimes they're even the hero of the story - and they are fiction; it's not like the reader takes it personally against them if the lead character is a sexist. however, if you write an offensive story that celebrates and promotes certain ideas then maybe your book won't sell that well. like is your story about a protagonist who's arresting homos and people of colour then sticks them in a gas chamber for societal cleansing and at the end of the book you all have a massive celebration like it was best idea ever and your hero has saved the day?

have you had any feedback from other writers, people you don't know personally? what did they think?

i can't help but wonder if you're putting your energy into the wrong worries. if you are self publishing you really need to focus and work damn hard at marketing and promoting your novel, especially if you've never done it before cuz there are heaps(!!! !) of self published novels on Amazon and it's easy to not get noticed. do you have a game plan?

Latest

Trending

Trending