The Student Room Group

Injured myself at university 8 years ago and it’s still affected

They let me walk to AE on a sprained ankle by myself. The injury was severe and it still impacts me today and i believed that it triggereed the onset of an autoikmmune disease. I raised it with the health and safety officer and she laughed at me in 2020. She didnt take it seriously and I found that errors had been made in the documentation of the incident.
I raised it with the director at the time and got a written response.
I am considering raising it for the devastating impact its had on my life as a result of it, and the university should be held accountable

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Anyone
There is not a huge amount of information here, but I would assume that whoever told you to walk to A&E probably wasn't medically trained to know whether or not you could walk on the injury. And you were presumably an adult and could have decided for yourself whether or not you could could walk. But if you think there is a case against your university here, you would be best speaking to a lawyer, not a bunch of school kids on TSR.

What makes you think your injury triggered an autoimmune illness?
Reply 3
Original post by black tea
There is not a huge amount of information here, but I would assume that whoever told you to walk to A&E probably wasn't medically trained to know whether or not you could walk on the injury. And you were presumably an adult and could have decided for yourself whether or not you could could walk. But if you think there is a case against your university here, you would be best speaking to a lawyer, not a bunch of school kids on TSR.

What makes you think your injury triggered an autoimmune illness?

Because this disease usually has a trigger and i started developing symptoms after it. It’s worth noting that I have autism and so couldn’t understand the lack of support. Considering the time passed, I can’t take any legal action.. Do you know of any further action, I can take.
Original post by Anonymous
Because this disease usually has a trigger and i started developing symptoms after it. It’s worth noting that I have autism and so couldn’t understand the lack of support. Considering the time passed, I can’t take any legal action.. Do you know of any further action, I can take.

Something such as a sprain wouldn't have caused the auto immune disease
The most common trigger for it is a bacterial or viral infection which could include things such as the common cold, flu, chest infections etc.

Your posts read as though you're blaming the university for your auto immune condition just because it happened at the same time as a sprained ankle.
If that's the case, there's a saying "Correlation doesn't always mean causation"
Reply 5
Something such as a sprain wouldn't have caused the auto immune disease
The most common trigger for it is a bacterial or viral infection which could include things such as the common cold, flu, chest infections etc.

Your posts read as though you're blaming the university for your auto immune condition just because it happened at the same time as a sprained ankle.
If that's the case, there's a saying "Correlation doesn't always mean causation"

The symptoms literally started after I had the injury. And if you saw the extent of the injury, it is /very consistent with the inflammation and swelling of my joints due to the autoimmune disease. I haven’t had a bacterial or viral infection for years before I developed the illness. I’m blaming the University for the neglect on that night and the behaviour of the health and safety professional.
The symptoms literally started after I had the injury. And if you saw the extent of the injury, it is /very consistent with the inflammation and swelling of my joints due to the autoimmune disease. I haven’t had a bacterial or viral infection for years before I developed the illness. I’m blaming the University for the neglect on that night and the behaviour of the health and safety professional.

An injury can cause a flare up of an auto immune condition which sounds like what you're describing. It may have been your first flare up which would explain why you're connecting the two in the wrong order. This means that you had the auto immune condition BEFORE the injury but were just unaware at the time.

You've most likely had quite a few viral and bacterial infections without realising it. If you've had a cold or flu then you've had a viral infection. A sore throat for no apparently reason (not burnt it etc) then you would have had a viral or bacterial infection. If you cut yourself, tons of bacteria and viruses can enter. There's also the high likelihood that you've had multiple viral or bacterial infections and been asymptomatic which is quite common, especially with weaker strains.
Reply 7
An injury can cause a flare up of an auto immune condition which sounds like what you're describing. It may have been your first flare up which would explain why you're connecting the two in the wrong order. This means that you had the auto immune condition BEFORE the injury but were just unaware at the time.

You've most likely had quite a few viral and bacterial infections without realising it. If you've had a cold or flu then you've had a viral infection. A sore throat for no apparently reason (not burnt it etc) then you would have had a viral or bacterial infection. If you cut yourself, tons of bacteria and viruses can enter. There's also the high likelihood that you've had multiple viral or bacterial infections and been asymptomatic which is quite common, especially with weaker strains.

Rather than get into a discussion about whether the injury triggered the autoimmune disease which was confirmed by the rheumatologist, I want to talk about more about the issue around whether or not I have a case to take up with the university based on what I’ve told you
Reply 8
They let me walk to AE on a sprained ankle by myself. The injury was severe and it still impacts me today and i believed that it triggereed the onset of an autoikmmune disease. I raised it with the health and safety officer and she laughed at me in 2020. She didnt take it seriously and I found that errors had been made in the documentation of the incident.
I raised it with the director at the time and got a written response.
I am considering raising it for the devastating impact its had on my life as a result of it, and the university should be held accountable

consult a no win no fee personal injury solicitor
Reply 9
Original post by Ciel.
consult a no win no fee personal injury solicitor

The problem is is that the three-year limit has passed so I can’t take any legal action
Reply 10
The problem is is that the three-year limit has passed so I can’t take any legal action

but your post says 2020?
edit: sorry just saw the thread title..
also, it's not always 3 years from the date of injury. it can be 3 years from the date of knowledge of your injury (e.g. if it later turned out to be way more serious).
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Ciel.
but your post says 2020?
edit: sorry just saw the thread title..
also, it's not always 3 years from the date of injury. it can be 3 years from the date of knowledge of your injury (e.g. if it later turned out to be way more serious).

Yeah its three years past that so bad
It’s too late to take this any further with the uni. The staff involved may no longer be there and they are unlikely to maintain records about sprained ankles for that long.
Original post by Admit-One
It’s too late to take this any further with the uni. The staff involved may no longer be there and they are unlikely to maintain records about sprained ankles for that long.

The staff still working there are some of them. I still have the apology letter from the director
The staff still working there are some of them. I still have the apology letter from the director

I can’t give you legal advice. The fact that you received an apology does not mean that you have a case against them. You would presumably need strong evidence that the injury caused you long term harm. I would speak to a legal professional.

So what exactly do you want then?
Original post by black tea
So what exactly do you want then?

I don't know. I feel the university got away with a lot
I don't know. I feel the university got away with a lot

You got a written apology and for all we know, the member of staff was already disciplined about it. Time to let this one go.
Original post by Admit-One
You got a written apology and for all we know, the member of staff was already disciplined about it. Time to let this one go.

It was half-assed and the university had other problems..
It was half-assed and the university had other problems..

8 years ago it may well have had problems.

What do you want them to do about it now?

Quick Reply

Latest