Pupils with high temperature should not sit exams, new guidance states

Watch this thread
Evil Homer
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
The Guidance

"Guidance published by the Joint Council for Qualifications has clarified advice for schools and pupils with exams this year.

It states pupils should continue to follow the wider UKHSA guidance on Covid. That means schools should advise pupils under 18 years old who are unwell and have a high temperature to stay at home.

Those pupils can go back into school “when they no longer have a high temperature”.

Those who have mild symptoms, such as a runny nose or sore throat, but are otherwise well, should be advised to attend school to sit exams.

Pupils who live with someone who has Covid should attend school as usual.

The guidance adds: “Where a candidate still wishes to attend an examination, despite having symptoms (e.g. a high temperature) or a positive COVID-19 test the centre should encourage the candidate to follow the UKHSA’s guidance.”

Special Consideration

Pupils who miss exams will become eligible for “special consideration”.

New rules for this year, due to the “exceptional circumstances”, mean grades will still be awarded where pupils have completed the assessment for “at least one whole component within the specification”.

However, A-level students will not get a grade for biology, chemistry, geology or physics by only completing the practical skills endorsement. GCSE pupils won’t get a grade for only completing the spoken language endorsement.

A grade will not be issued where no exams or assessments have been completed.

The government has set a minimum of ten days between the first and last exam in each GCSE and A-level this year to reduce the chance an unwell pupil will miss them all.

I thought the article in Schools Week was a really good overview of the current results regarding GCSE and A-level exams and illness this year.

Do you have any questions or concerns that we can help answer?

From Schools Week
Talkative Toad
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 months ago
You don't even have to legally self isolate if you have COVID anyway so part me doesn't understand why they done this and what if you're 18+ in sixth form and feel ill because of COVID, will you still be allowed to get a grade despite missing an exam?
Evil Homer
Rep:
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by Talkative Toad)
You don't even have to legally self isolate if you have COVID anyway so part me doesn't understand why they done this and what if you're 18+ in sixth form and feel ill because of COVID, will you still be allowed to get a grade despite missing an exam?
You will still be able to receive a grade if you are unable to make it to one exam due to illness. Schools will have to go through normal process to verify that illness.
Talkative Toad
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Evil Homer)
You will still be able to receive a grade if you are unable to make it to one exam due to illness. Schools will have to go through normal process to verify that illness.
I see then.
mnot
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
Dont see the point in this advice; 'we' are effectively treating sars-covid-2 like any other endemic respiratory infection at this point, the reality is the latest variant is a highly transmissible variant with very mild effects and unless you are a hermit you will be exposed to it at some point in time.

I dont remember at school ever getting advice to stay away from school for exams (if anything the advice was you should make it if at all possible, only if you physically cant then you shouldn't...), I think we should be trying to make an effort to get back to run things as normal as possible, I know its only advice, but it just seems unnecessary to me (only two weeks ago something like 7% of people in the UK currently had covid, its already in every school as we speak & it has already ran through every school over & over again).
Last edited by mnot; 2 months ago
CatInTheCorner
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by mnot)
unless you are a hermit you will be exposed to it at some point in time.
:cry2:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (34)
27.2%
As I expected (41)
32.8%
Harder (43)
34.4%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (7)
5.6%

Watched Threads