The Student Room Group

a level depression

Hi, I am taking the CAIE A levels (biology, maths, and chemistry). I want to get an AAA and I am struggling with math, plus I have my exams starting on May 4th which is like after 14 days; exactly two weeks. I am really stressed and panicking most of the time. I can't sleep well because of my anxiety and I feel demotivated because everyone tells me that it's so hard to get an AAA. I don't mind getting an AAB (B in math) but I really do need 3 A's. I applied for a scholarship my country sponsored and was offered places at two medical schools in Ireland and two in Scotland, but they need the marks I listed above. Do you think a student can succeed in two weeks? If I push myself until the last minute before the exam, would it help? also, I have like a week break before my last math paper which is the last paper in may so I am planning to practice p3 in that week and focus on it more because right now I am focusing on p1,p5, and p6 since I got no time left for them alone. I had depression before as a consequence of my family problems and I couldn't study at that time. I did finish the syllabus in 2 months only for the three subjects and I have two weeks to focus on flashcards and past papers. I am in great need of that scholarship because my parents wouldn't pay me any collage fees if i don't get that scholarship and then I wouldn't get to study at all. what should I do? I can't tell my parents even because they are already judging me and telling me that I can't do it. I have always been a top student in my school and I did really great in my IGCSE but they always say the same thing and that I wouldn't make it through my A levels. any tips, please?
Original post by ranin
Hi, I am taking the CAIE A levels (biology, maths, and chemistry). I want to get an AAA and I am struggling with math, plus I have my exams starting on May 4th which is like after 14 days; exactly two weeks. I am really stressed and panicking most of the time. I can't sleep well because of my anxiety and I feel demotivated because everyone tells me that it's so hard to get an AAA. I don't mind getting an AAB (B in math) but I really do need 3 A's. I applied for a scholarship my country sponsored and was offered places at two medical schools in Ireland and two in Scotland, but they need the marks I listed above. Do you think a student can succeed in two weeks? If I push myself until the last minute before the exam, would it help? also, I have like a week break before my last math paper which is the last paper in may so I am planning to practice p3 in that week and focus on it more because right now I am focusing on p1,p5, and p6 since I got no time left for them alone. I had depression before as a consequence of my family problems and I couldn't study at that time. I did finish the syllabus in 2 months only for the three subjects and I have two weeks to focus on flashcards and past papers. I am in great need of that scholarship because my parents wouldn't pay me any collage fees if i don't get that scholarship and then I wouldn't get to study at all. what should I do? I can't tell my parents even because they are already judging me and telling me that I can't do it. I have always been a top student in my school and I did really great in my IGCSE but they always say the same thing and that I wouldn't make it through my A levels. any tips, please?

Hi, can you contact a doctor about the depression? Your health is the most important thing, please take care of that first. Contact the universities and explain, ask if you're allowed extenuating circumstances or anything of the like. In terms of practical studying advice, you can do anything you set your mind to, if you've earnt a scholarship, you're clearly bright and capable. Try the study forums for more tips, and good luck :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by CatInTheCorner
Hi, can you contact a doctor about the depression? Your health is the most important thing, please take care of that first. Contact the universities and explain, ask if you're allowed extenuating circumstances or anything of the like. In terms of practical studying advice, you can do anything you set your mind to, if you've earnt a scholarship, you're clearly bright and capable. Try the study forums for more tips, and good luck :smile:

I am planning to go to a therapist after my alevels. but currently, I am aiming to ace my levels first cause if I get the scholarship then I would have a different life to experience may be better and I wouldn't have to deal with my parents' fights
Original post by ranin
I am planning to go to a therapist after my alevels. but currently, I am aiming to ace my levels first cause if I get the scholarship then I would have a different life to experience may be better and I wouldn't have to deal with my parents' fights

Fair enough, but if you're able to see a doctor now I would, you might find it makes studying easier if you're getting support. Why don't you call a mental health helpline? Are you able to avoid your parents and their fighting, can you stay with a friend?
Reply 4
Fair enough, but if you're able to see a doctor now I would, you might find it makes studying easier if you're getting support. Why don't you call a mental health helpline? Are you able to avoid your parents and their fighting, can you stay with a friend?

no, they are quite strict, they wouldn't let me out of the house and I don't have siblings so I usually stay in my room but I can still hear them fighting downstairs. I just want to finish everything as fast as possible cause I have been depressed for way too long, tried to commit suicide years ago but I survived and had a doctor's consultant whereas my parents thought that I was being dramatic. well, nowadays suicide just doesn't sound right cause why will I end my life for someone who won't even care about it. I hope that I do make it through my A-levels have my own life and build new better memories for my own sack. "be proud of myself"
Original post by ranin
no, they are quite strict, they wouldn't let me out of the house and I don't have siblings so I usually stay in my room but I can still hear them fighting downstairs. I just want to finish everything as fast as possible cause I have been depressed for way too long, tried to commit suicide years ago but I survived and had a doctor's consultant whereas my parents thought that I was being dramatic. well, nowadays suicide just doesn't sound right cause why will I end my life for someone who won't even care about it. I hope that I do make it through my A-levels have my own life and build new better memories for my own sack. "be proud of myself"

You are not being dramatic, and I am so sorry about your home situation. Please call a helpline if you feel like doing something, or if you feel depressed. Contact the universities, the student support team will be able to discuss your options with you :smile:
Reply 6
You are not being dramatic, and I am so sorry about your home situation. Please call a helpline if you feel like doing something, or if you feel depressed. Contact the universities, the student support team will be able to discuss your options with you :smile:

i will, thank you very much for replying
Original post by ranin
i will, thank you very much for replying

Anytime, :h:

Quick Reply

Latest