The Student Room Group

drama gcse help

I'm Year 11 and usually get high-ish grades in all my subjects but in drama, the most I've got in both my mocks is 4. I was wondering how I could get my grade up to at least a 6 or a 7 at a stretch.(I am doing Edexcel Drama GCSE in about a month but it's just the writing section, we have completed the acting and I didn't do very well)
Original post by imsupercool16
I'm Year 11 and usually get high-ish grades in all my subjects but in drama, the most I've got in both my mocks is 4. I was wondering how I could get my grade up to at least a 6 or a 7 at a stretch.(I am doing Edexcel Drama GCSE in about a month but it's just the writing section, we have completed the acting and I didn't do very well)

I also take drama but am doing eduqas - assuming that the writing section is similar, I have made a story board of the play so that I know it well and have done lots of practice questions. Also watch the bit you will write about in your live theatre review several times and take notes (I would recommend taking notes from 2 key moment). Make sure you learn from marking your exam questions!

Good luck x
tysm will do!! hope u do well in ur drama gcse test :smile:
Reply 3
I'm doing Edexcel drama too - what play are you studying? We did The Crucible.

Hi! Im in year 12 and got a grade 9 in drama! I also did edexcel so if you'd like more info you can PM me :smile:
Original post by Mulefa
I'm doing Edexcel drama too - what play are you studying? We did The Crucible.

hi im taking DNA but for live theatre i have to make notes for peter pan? like i can bring 500 words in with me do u have that too??
tbh im struggling with both i thought for my DNA mock i ddi rlly well but i got 22/45 :s-smilie:
Original post by hijabibubbles
Hi! Im in year 12 and got a grade 9 in drama! I also did edexcel so if you'd like more info you can PM me :smile:

thx but i cant pm cause my account is too new lollll
can u tell me what tips u have for the writing exams bcs ive already flopped my acting and need to get rlly high in them to at least pass drama. i thought id be good at it as i do well in english but it ddint help at all
thx but i cant pm cause my account is too new lollll
can u tell me what tips u have for the writing exams bcs ive already flopped my acting and need to get rlly high in them to at least pass drama. i thought id be good at it as i do well in english but it ddint help at all

Hii! No worries.

Alr so i cant stress this enough: STRUCTURE STRUCTURE STRUCTRE!

FOr the 4 and 6 markers its pretty simple: you do a point then explain. the 4 and 6 markers are pretty similar in the sense that both questions need you to talk about performance skills so you need to be certain you can talk about both vocal and physical skills. Have at least 4 for each so you can use them interchangeably throughout these two questions.

I've checked and seen that we did different texts. i did inspector calls and jane eyre for live theatre so im not sure how strong your design knowledge will be. Ill give you advice based on my note taking methods and hopefully you can apply it to your own texts too.

Costume: make sure you have detailed costume designs for EACH character. We had like 6 MC's so it was quite a lot. make sure your details are linked to the time period and try and incorporate symbols. for example i designed a white tulle gown for sheila birling that she would wear in the beginning to symbolise how she is newly engaged and is excited to get married. But as the play goes on, i'd have her dress become wilted and dirty cause she has a lot of sins. but then towards the end of the acts her dress will be new and it'll have green hints to show how she has shed her passed and asked for forgiveness. the green would have represented a new beginning cause she breaks up with gerald and has a new fresh start. so the little details like that is what got me the marks. ofc make sure to make both the male and females detailed. ooo and for the actual questions when answering them try and incorporate both male and females in your answer. so if the question was to just outline the costume design for a specific exctact of the play then id talk about 2males and 2 females from that extract

Sound: there's not much to say about sound if im being honest, i barekly talked about that sooo i don't think ill be able to help with that

Set design: this made me what to gauge my eyes out. it was horrible. there's so much you can say about this and i felt really overhelemd. the best thing you can do is see if you can find play adaptations for the plays your doing. e.g. there's was an insepctor calls play a few years ago and i found the director notes in terms of what set they chose and just incorporated it.

Lighting: once again, there's so much you can do, i literally just chose a white wash i think with like a spotlight or smth.. i don't really remember that one

Structure:
alr so this is the template structure my teacher made for us :smile:
6 mark: EXAMPLE
Analyse how Vocal skills were used at one key moment in the performance.
In the opening scene, an Old man who goes by the name Arthur Kipps (Matthew Spencer) has been persuaded by a young actor (Stuart Fox) to perform the events of his past to an audience. These events are traumatic for Kipps and he is reluctant to do so.
Kipps reads from his manuscript in a …GIVE EXAMPLE INCLUDING USING DETAILED TERMINOLOGY……………….I felt that this showed not only his poor acting ability but also his reluctance to perform to an audience. He said himself that he only wanted his story to be told to his family and that he was “Not an actor” in an exasperated tone. Kipps vocal skills during this key moment portrayed well his fear about his past experiences but at the same time, the comedic scene lulled me into a false sense of security about what was about to come as. The psychological Thriller that followed was not expected!
The actor then enters from the auditorium and says for Kipps to “Have sympathy for his audience” due to his unbearable, monotone delivery. The actor speaks in a …….GIVE A DIFFERENT EXAMPLE USING DETAILED TERMINOLOGY……..and this reflected his passion for the acting profession and also that …GIVE DIFFERENT ANALYSIS…..
REPEAT THIS FOR A THIRD EXAMPLE.

9 mark: EXAMPLE:
Evaluate how sound was used in the performance to create impact for the audience. (Not a WIB example)
Ivan cutting’s beautifully moving Verbatim performance allowed for the audience to travel back in time to see the story of ‘Dotty’, an elderly women with Dementia unfold. One element that helped with this was the use of sound.
On entering the auditorium, pre recorded music of the 1940’s era was being played from speakers down stage. This immediately set the scene and connoted the play was going to be set in this past era. As an audience member, this really helped me identify with the Tim Howard’s intention of taking his audience back to their their own past memories.
In order to show the flashbacks of Dotty’s childhood in her father’s shop, a diegetic sound effect of a door chime was used when characters entered which suggested the location in which the scene was set. This was particularly effective as it contrasted heavily with the modern sound used in the present day scenes where pre-recorded sat nav instructions were played when Dotty and her Grandson were in the car.
Sound was also used for comic effect in the performance and this was done using animal noises. For example, when Dotty was travelling in the car with her Grandson, there was a loud volume, pre recorded ‘moooooo’ that came from the speakers at the back of the auditorium. This immediately portrayed that whilst in the car, Dotty and her grandson were driving through the Norfolk countryside, which was a place from her childhood. At this point, there was a roar of laughter amongst audience members as it was very unexpected and almost out of place within the play that concentrated on such serious themes like dementia.

ermmm that's as much i can find for now! If i find some more notes stuffed away somewhere ill come back

good luck w everything and message if you need more help!
Original post by hijabibubbles
Hii! No worries.

Alr so i cant stress this enough: STRUCTURE STRUCTURE STRUCTRE!

FOr the 4 and 6 markers its pretty simple: you do a point then explain. the 4 and 6 markers are pretty similar in the sense that both questions need you to talk about performance skills so you need to be certain you can talk about both vocal and physical skills. Have at least 4 for each so you can use them interchangeably throughout these two questions.

I've checked and seen that we did different texts. i did inspector calls and jane eyre for live theatre so im not sure how strong your design knowledge will be. Ill give you advice based on my note taking methods and hopefully you can apply it to your own texts too.

Costume: make sure you have detailed costume designs for EACH character. We had like 6 MC's so it was quite a lot. make sure your details are linked to the time period and try and incorporate symbols. for example i designed a white tulle gown for sheila birling that she would wear in the beginning to symbolise how she is newly engaged and is excited to get married. But as the play goes on, i'd have her dress become wilted and dirty cause she has a lot of sins. but then towards the end of the acts her dress will be new and it'll have green hints to show how she has shed her passed and asked for forgiveness. the green would have represented a new beginning cause she breaks up with gerald and has a new fresh start. so the little details like that is what got me the marks. ofc make sure to make both the male and females detailed. ooo and for the actual questions when answering them try and incorporate both male and females in your answer. so if the question was to just outline the costume design for a specific exctact of the play then id talk about 2males and 2 females from that extract

Sound: there's not much to say about sound if im being honest, i barekly talked about that sooo i don't think ill be able to help with that

Set design: this made me what to gauge my eyes out. it was horrible. there's so much you can say about this and i felt really overhelemd. the best thing you can do is see if you can find play adaptations for the plays your doing. e.g. there's was an insepctor calls play a few years ago and i found the director notes in terms of what set they chose and just incorporated it.

Lighting: once again, there's so much you can do, i literally just chose a white wash i think with like a spotlight or smth.. i don't really remember that one

Structure:
alr so this is the template structure my teacher made for us :smile:
6 mark: EXAMPLE
Analyse how Vocal skills were used at one key moment in the performance.
In the opening scene, an Old man who goes by the name Arthur Kipps (Matthew Spencer) has been persuaded by a young actor (Stuart Fox) to perform the events of his past to an audience. These events are traumatic for Kipps and he is reluctant to do so.
Kipps reads from his manuscript in a …GIVE EXAMPLE INCLUDING USING DETAILED TERMINOLOGY……………….I felt that this showed not only his poor acting ability but also his reluctance to perform to an audience. He said himself that he only wanted his story to be told to his family and that he was “Not an actor” in an exasperated tone. Kipps vocal skills during this key moment portrayed well his fear about his past experiences but at the same time, the comedic scene lulled me into a false sense of security about what was about to come as. The psychological Thriller that followed was not expected!
The actor then enters from the auditorium and says for Kipps to “Have sympathy for his audience” due to his unbearable, monotone delivery. The actor speaks in a …….GIVE A DIFFERENT EXAMPLE USING DETAILED TERMINOLOGY……..and this reflected his passion for the acting profession and also that …GIVE DIFFERENT ANALYSIS…..
REPEAT THIS FOR A THIRD EXAMPLE.

9 mark: EXAMPLE:
Evaluate how sound was used in the performance to create impact for the audience. (Not a WIB example)
Ivan cutting’s beautifully moving Verbatim performance allowed for the audience to travel back in time to see the story of ‘Dotty’, an elderly women with Dementia unfold. One element that helped with this was the use of sound.
On entering the auditorium, pre recorded music of the 1940’s era was being played from speakers down stage. This immediately set the scene and connoted the play was going to be set in this past era. As an audience member, this really helped me identify with the Tim Howard’s intention of taking his audience back to their their own past memories.
In order to show the flashbacks of Dotty’s childhood in her father’s shop, a diegetic sound effect of a door chime was used when characters entered which suggested the location in which the scene was set. This was particularly effective as it contrasted heavily with the modern sound used in the present day scenes where pre-recorded sat nav instructions were played when Dotty and her Grandson were in the car.
Sound was also used for comic effect in the performance and this was done using animal noises. For example, when Dotty was travelling in the car with her Grandson, there was a loud volume, pre recorded ‘moooooo’ that came from the speakers at the back of the auditorium. This immediately portrayed that whilst in the car, Dotty and her grandson were driving through the Norfolk countryside, which was a place from her childhood. At this point, there was a roar of laughter amongst audience members as it was very unexpected and almost out of place within the play that concentrated on such serious themes like dementia.

ermmm that's as much i can find for now! If i find some more notes stuffed away somewhere ill come back

good luck w everything and message if you need more help!

omg tysm this is so helpful
i was off on the day my teacher told me about the structure and mainly the drama exams in general so thx
im gonna revise the peter pan play and have already made some notes on it. also gonna revise lighting as i only know spotlights lol
if i have more questions ill come back for sure

Quick Reply