Personal statement extracurricular

Watch this thread
Leafy_59
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I am planning to apply to study medicine this year.
However I am having a hard time finding something to write about extracurriculars in my personal statement.
I spend all my free time studying, reading and playing minecraft.
I have no sporting or musical activites.
From what I know, reading is not necessary extracurricular though I will be mentioning books, and I believe gaming is not necessary taken in a positive manner by admission tutors, and work experience/volunteering is separate to extracurriculars in a medical application.
Please can someone give me advice on what I can write about ;-;
(For reference, I am planning to apply to Cambridge, Imperial, Edinburgh and Manchester.)
booklover1313
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
Extracurricular activities aren't that important for a personal statement. Maybe only 1-2 lines about something like dedication or time management skills, but it's not as important for UK universities. You will need to talk about your work experience/volunteering, and then any super-curricular activities, so maybe if you read some books written by doctors, or went to a symposium on medical ethics etc.
What work experience do you have?
Things related to medicine should make up the bulk of your personal statement, so I wouldn't necessarily mention gaming anyway.
Leafy_59
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by booklover1313)
Extracurricular activities aren't that important for a personal statement. Maybe only 1-2 lines about something like dedication or time management skills, but it's not as important for UK universities. You will need to talk about your work experience/volunteering, and then any super-curricular activities, so maybe if you read some books written by doctors, or went to a symposium on medical ethics etc.
What work experience do you have?
Things related to medicine should make up the bulk of your personal statement, so I wouldn't necessarily mention gaming anyway.
Thank you so much for you help.
I belive I have enough work experience and volunteering that would take up majority of my personal statement. (e.g. volunteering at ward, first-aiding, two weeks in hospital, several other days in NHS services).
I was just worried since all of the personal statement examples I have looked at mentioned some form of obvious extracurriculars, like music, sports, coding, chess etc.
AliceKS
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Leafy_59)
However I am having a hard time finding something to write about extracurriculars in my personal statement.
From what I know, reading is not necessary extracurricular though I will be mentioning books, and I believe gaming is not necessary taken in a positive manner by admission tutors, and work experience/volunteering is separate to extracurriculars in a medical application.
(For reference, I am planning to apply to Cambridge, Imperial, Edinburgh and Manchester.)
ecolier
booklover1313
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Thank you so much for you help.
I belive I have enough work experience and volunteering that would take up majority of my personal statement. (e.g. volunteering at ward, first-aiding, two weeks in hospital, several other days in NHS services).
I was just worried since all of the personal statement examples I have looked at mentioned some form of obvious extracurriculars, like music, sports, coding, chess etc.
Do you do anything in school, like help run a science club or tutor kids in younger years? Or DOfE?
Can you think of some skills that gaming has taught you? Maybe resilience or logical thinking, or how to make good decisions under pressure? Things like that could be linked to medicine?
If you were really desperate, it's not too late to take up a hobby like chess, but you ideally want your personal statement to be genuine. Ultimately if you were to include extra curricular stuff, it would really be for only 1-2 lines, and won't form part of the selection criteria. They will be much more interested in your volunteering on the ward and motivations for studying medicine etc.
When you get round to writing it, you will probably find that you go over the word and line count, so your problem will be with getting rid of things, and any mention of extra stuff will be the first to get cut out or down.
AliceKS
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
i know in my personal statement, extracurriculars were 3 lines at the end before my conclusion. as others have said talk about your wex and volunteering and you'll be surprised at how little space you have!!
just a side note but please don't pick med schools on league tables and prestige, wait until you have your ucat score at least as Edinburgh has a very high ucat cutoff for English students (<3000) and Cambridge and imperial are both bmat unis so you need to see if thats a risk you want to take as the bmat is taken after you submit your UCAS so you apply blind to whether you have a good enough score to get you to interview. while it is good that you're getting your personal statement done/are thinking about it, it's also good to focus on school and getting good grades and making revision resources for year 12 content so you dont have to think about. then revise for ucat 6-8 weeks before and use the which med school thread to apply so you have the best chance of getting 4 interviews rather than getting an average ucat and bmat and getting 1 interview with the med schools you have chosen
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
As above, don't pick med schools based on reputation.

Personal statements aren't important for the unis you mentioned, they will most likely just screen for red flags (e.g. "I am doing medicine for the money"). Manchester may be more work-experience heavy, but they will ask you to complete a separate NAI form.

Extracurriculars are that important any more also, unless you are applying to UCL.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How confident are you that you'll achieve the grades you need to get into your firm uni?

I think I've exceeded the grades for my university offer (22)
17.46%
I think I've met the grades for my university offer (31)
24.6%
I think I've missed the grades for my university offer (68)
53.97%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (5)
3.97%

Watched Threads