Sociology A Level

Watch this thread
pineapplez
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hiiiii! I'm currently self-studying Biology A level and Chemistry A level. I need to choose a third A-level, that I can self-study, in just one year. So I need an A-level with minimal content, and that is easy to study independently. Is Sociology a good choice? Can you help me think of other ideas please? Thanks guys!
student2025
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by pineapplez)
Hiiiii! I'm currently self-studying Biology A level and Chemistry A level. I need to choose a third A-level, that I can self-study, in just one year. So I need an A-level with minimal content, and that is easy to study independently. Is Sociology a good choice? Can you help me think of other ideas please? Thanks guys!
if you're doing biology and chemistry then psychology would be easier than sociology for you
sociology has a lot of content and is essay based and sometimes complex to understand whereas psychology is an easier and more interesting topic to learn by yourself
also the questions in the psychology exam are structured in a similar way to biology and chemistry so you would be better off picking psychology instead
pineapplez
Rep:
(Original post by student2025)
if you're doing biology and chemistry then psychology would be easier than sociology for you
sociology has a lot of content and is essay based and sometimes complex to understand whereas psychology is an easier and more interesting topic to learn by yourself
also the questions in the psychology exam are structured in a similar way to biology and chemistry so you would be better off picking psychology instead
cool! thanks for your help! will look into that. Do you think psychology has less content than sociology? Also, is psychology not more facts to learn, whilst sociology is more common sense?
LawApplicant03
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
Sociology does not have minimal content. Sociology to some degree is common sense but honestly, it is a misconception that is all you need. You need factual evidence, man off the street answers doesn't get you the marks. You have to learn a lot of facts, sociological facts. Its very content heavy.
Lucy
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
i study psychology, criminology and sociology, out of all of them, sociology probably has the most content ? The modules are longer and there are lots of key figures, stats and writing you need to do.

As someone else suggested, psychology is probably the easiest in relation to your subjects, and just interesting in general. Idk what exam board you cover but there is quite a lot of content, for example, 20 studies you need to know,, however if you like the subject, reading through them might be fun I wish you luck as to what you choose!!
pineapplez
Rep:
Ok thanks for your help guys! Am looking into psychology, like you're suggesting. Are there any other, even completely unrelated A-levels, that might be on the easier side?
student2025
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
cool! thanks for your help! will look into that. Do you think psychology has less content than sociology? Also, is psychology not more facts to learn, whilst sociology is more common sense?
Although some elements can be common sense you need key terminology and evidence which comes from sociologists e.g. in aqa sociology paper 1, a question could be - outline why there are class differences in education: the common sense answer would be that middle class children tend to use better vocabulary and be more well spoken than working class children however this would only get you half the marks. To answer the question you would say something along the lines of - Bernstein argues that middle class children use the elaborated code at home whilst the working classes use the restricted code. As exams tend to be written in this elaborated code, m/c children have an advantage allowing them to do better in exams.
Sociology as you can see is easy to pass because you can get half the marks by using common sense however if you want to get a grade above C then you need to know the content

Psychology is easier when it comes to knowledge because its easier to remember the content and there's less psychologist names. The only thing that's somewhat difficult is evaluation because you need to remember key research but this is easier to remember than the case studies in sociology.

Another way to compare both subjects would be research methods - a topic that comes up in both psychology and sociology and RM is easier in psychology than sociology

Hope that helps

i do both subjects and i think i would agree that psychology is overall an easier and more interesting subject but obviously someone else may disagree with this opinion.
samcarolinx
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
i think you should do psychology because its more scientific and will be easier for you if your also doing chem and bio.
Lucy
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
Ok thanks for your help guys! Am looking into psychology, like you're suggesting. Are there any other, even completely unrelated A-levels, that might be on the easier side?
criminology could be good!! you get two exams with ur folder, and two exams without
it’s similar to sociology if u like that, but slightly easier
pineapplez
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Lucy <3)
criminology could be good!! you get two exams with ur folder, and two exams without
it’s similar to sociology if u like that, but slightly easier
sounds like a really good idea! Thank you. I've looked it up and i can't find criminology offered as an A level. Have you taken the course? Does it give equal ucas points to an A level?
Last edited by pineapplez; 1 month ago
pineapplez
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by student2025)
Although some elements can be common sense you need key terminology and evidence which comes from sociologists e.g. in aqa sociology paper 1, a question could be - outline why there are class differences in education: the common sense answer would be that middle class children tend to use better vocabulary and be more well spoken than working class children however this would only get you half the marks. To answer the question you would say something along the lines of - Bernstein argues that middle class children use the elaborated code at home whilst the working classes use the restricted code. As exams tend to be written in this elaborated code, m/c children have an advantage allowing them to do better in exams.
Sociology as you can see is easy to pass because you can get half the marks by using common sense however if you want to get a grade above C then you need to know the content

Psychology is easier when it comes to knowledge because its easier to remember the content and there's less psychologist names. The only thing that's somewhat difficult is evaluation because you need to remember key research but this is easier to remember than the case studies in sociology.

Another way to compare both subjects would be research methods - a topic that comes up in both psychology and sociology and RM is easier in psychology than sociology

Hope that helps

i do both subjects and i think i would agree that psychology is overall an easier and more interesting subject but obviously someone else may disagree with this opinion.
Thank you so so much for a really in depth, easy to understand, answer. I really appreciate yyour help
Lucy
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
sounds like a really good idea! Thank you. I've looked it up and i can't find criminology offered as an A level. Have you taken the course? Does it give equal ucas points to an A level?
sorry for late reply, but yeah! I’m pretty sure it does
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (13)
29.55%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (17)
38.64%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
4.55%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (2)
4.55%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (3)
6.82%
I’m starting to consider my university options (6)
13.64%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (0)
0%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
2.27%

Watched Threads