The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Imperial VS UCL physics, which should I firm? Please help

Okay as you can probably tell I overthink a lot but I can't for the life of me make a good decision.

1. Imperial undoubtedly has a better reputation than UCL. Of course my parents won't force me but I know deep down they'd want me to pick Imperial over UCL.
2. Some websites, eg https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/imperial-college-london-i50/courses/physics-msci-hon-2022-ae8994c7738e suggest that UCL graduates earn the same amount as Imperial physics graduates.
3. The course at UCL is easier
4. It's a lot harder to get into Imperial compared to UCL (70% acceptance rate at UCL but Its only 10% this year for Imperial) and ofcourse the opportunities will be better at Imperial.
5. The social life will be better at UCL. I want o have a good time at uni and not be stuck in my room 24/7. I want to have some fun at uni too.
6. I feel like it's a fluke that I got in and I'm kinda scared I won't be able to handle the workload. I'm not a full physics geek unlike some of the people on the imperial whatsapp chat etc.

Pls pls pls help 😭😥
@Sinnoh can no doubt give some insight into the course at Imperial.

However in general:

a) the course won't be necessarily easier at UCL - you cover basically all the same material in any physics degree in the UK due to IOP accreditation requirements, aside from optional modules

b) social life at both unis will be the same and dependent on you. Even at Oxbridge people go out partying regularly so I don't know why you would assume London students (at any London uni) would not, unless they chose not to or did not make the effort themselves while wanting to.
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
I think you're mixing up offer rates and acceptance rates. There might be 10 applicants per place but that's not the same as 10 applicants per offer. More offers are given than for which they have places available.

A lot of the workload is 'up to you'. You don't need to do every problem sheet and every past paper, nobody's going to chase you up on it (barring lab reports and assessed problem sheets) but you should definitely do more than the bare minimum if you want a half-decent grade. This is true for virtually any course at any university. The workload has decreased since a few years ago; fewer assessed problem sheets in first year, modules are more evenly spread out across the years and you do on average 1 less option in 3rd and 4th than you used to. No, they haven't made the modules more substantial to compensate.
First term is somewhat relaxed if you've done further maths, but best not get complacent.

You are not the only person out of the roughly 3000 incoming first-years who will be wanting to go out and have a decent social life. In fact you will be in the majority, and there will be plenty of opportunities. For me it's been quite rare that I'd sacrifice an outing to catch up on work, or even do much in the evening.

As for your last point... Yeah, some people are just a lot more into it than you are. You go from top of your school to being pretty average, but the people who seem to live and breathe physics aren't the average. I can also tell you that the proportion of people saying that they want to go into research decreases a lot between first and third year!
Original post by Htx_x346
Okay as you can probably tell I overthink a lot but I can't for the life of me make a good decision.

1. Imperial undoubtedly has a better reputation than UCL. Of course my parents won't force me but I know deep down they'd want me to pick Imperial over UCL.
2. Some websites, eg https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/imperial-college-london-i50/courses/physics-msci-hon-2022-ae8994c7738e suggest that UCL graduates earn the same amount as Imperial physics graduates.
4. It's a lot harder to get into Imperial compared to UCL (70% acceptance rate at UCL but Its only 10% this year for Imperial) and ofcourse the opportunities will be better at Imperial.
5. The social life will be better at UCL. I want o have a good time at uni and not be stuck in my room 24/7. I want to have some fun at uni too.
6. I feel like it's a fluke that I got in and I'm kinda scared I won't be able to handle the workload. I'm not a full physics geek unlike some of the people on the imperial whatsapp chat etc.

Pls pls pls help 😭😥

Why can't one have a good time at Imperial ? What makes you think all Imperial students are stuck in their room 24/7?
Original post by Htx_x346

Pls pls pls help 😭😥

Hi did you apply for physics with aboard or physics with theoretical?

Quick Reply

Latest