The Student Room Group

Self-teaching A-Level Further Mathematics in One Month Blog

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JJPSWFC
I really like(d) Khan Academy videos for Further Maths because later on some of the topics can be a bit hard to wrap your head around and Khan Academy definitely does at least up to the early undergrad level, not sure after that because I'm still a first-year student but good luck!

Khan Academy should be avoided - it's not geared to the UK and has some terminology issues.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by RSADH
Thank you, so far exam solutions has been great but for the harder topics I will try out Khan Academy.

Please don't - there are far better UK websites
Original post by Muttley79
Khan Academy should be avoided - it's not geared to the UK and has some terminology issues.

Original post by Muttley79
Please don't - there are far better UK websites

Maybe you could give some suggestions:smile:
Original post by _Rusty_
Maybe you could give some suggestions:smile:

Yes I've given most of them many many times; ones not mentioned previously on this thread:

Dr Frost: https://www.drfrostmaths.com/sow.php?year=A%20Level%202017&term=Main

AMSP: https://amsp.org.uk/students/a-level-further/resources

TLMaths: https://sites.google.com/view/tlmaths/home/a-level-further-maths
Reply 24

Thank you so much!!
Reply 25
Update:

For every topic on the advanced info for paper 1 (and more), I completed every textbook question and past paper question available.

The core paper 1 I sat today went well! I think I got around 50 marks out of 75, but I really could have got close to full marks on that paper, but I spent too long on the second order differential equations question.

The only questions I dropped marks on I think was the final differential equations question and the method of differences question. The final differential equations question, I was stuck on a) for a while because I had done the normal method but wasn't getting the PI they stated. I kept checking over it wondering why it wasn't right when I did the method right. Spent too long on this part because I knew I could solve it, but it was only 3 marks. I really should have moved on to part c etc. Then I realised that I had to multiply it by t and apply the special case, but I ran out of time and couldn't finish all parts of the question. I had enough time to complete b) and scored full marks on that but I couldn't complete c) and d) So, I only completed half of this question, and then had to miss the methods of differences question because I ran out of time (I skipped the method of differences question because these questions are usually easy so was going to come back to it after completing the hard q's). A bit annoyed because I could have easily got near full marks because I had practiced so many second order differential equations questions and was getting full marks on them. Really, I should have just moved on but that's a lesson learned for future papers.

I think a mistake I made in prep (well not a mistake) but not practicing when to move on. During prep I would keep attempting a problem until I get it right. Maybe I should bring a stopwatch to the exam or something so I can track time.

I'm real proud of myself for getting this far and during the next two weeks I am going to work 10x harder to hopefully smash paper 2!
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 26
Update:

My next exam is on the 8th June, which is the final core paper. I have Loci in the Argand diagram left which I am going to complete tomorrow, and then I have completed Core 1 and Core 2 fully (every textbook question , past paper question etc). So far I must have done around 250+ hours on Further Maths stuff. My last exam is on the 23rd June so I am nearly finished!!
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 27
This. This is just so so amazing, I cannot believe you smashed further maths in just 2 months!!! Honestly I also wanna thank you as I was inspired by your effort and it spurred me on to do well in my maths a level mock, and I got an A! I think I can get an A* now!!
Reply 28
Original post by NHA125
This. This is just so so amazing, I cannot believe you smashed further maths in just 2 months!!! Honestly I also wanna thank you as I was inspired by your effort and it spurred me on to do well in my maths a level mock, and I got an A! I think I can get an A* now!!

Hey congrats! I remember in first year, I got A's too and then in the second year, I got 6A*'s in my 6 assessments across the year. Considering I only did A Level Maths and that you will be doing Further Maths too, you have got that A*!
Super good luck for tomorrow’s exam!!
Reply 30
Original post by flaurie
Super good luck for tomorrow’s exam!!

Thanks so much!
Reply 31
Finished Core 1 and Core 2. Honestly, I can't believe I have made it this far without giving up!
Reply 32
Exam smashed today! Think I got 60/75 which should be an A/A*
(edited 1 year ago)
Grade boundaries are not decided until all papers are marked - this year it's impossible to predict.
Original post by RSADH
Exam smashed today! Think I got 60/75 which is an A/A*
thats funny cos i was in a similar situation. i had to complete core maths 1, decision 1 and further mechanics 1 over the summer in year 12. I only picked up further maths in september 2021 and recently sat the 2 core papers. I hope your exams went well and wish you all the best.
Reply 35
Original post by XITounsi841
thats funny cos i was in a similar situation. i had to complete core maths 1, decision 1 and further mechanics 1 over the summer in year 12. I only picked up further maths in september 2021 and recently sat the 2 core papers. I hope your exams went well and wish you all the best.

Damn, congrats for making it to nearly the end. Thank you, wishing you the best in your remaining papers too! Hope to see you at LSE :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 36
Time to update the thread :smile:

I sat my third exam on the 15th June, which was Further Pure 1. I self taught the content for it in 5 days, and I did around 10 hours per day. I got through every past paper question, and textbook question for Conic Sections 1, Conic Sections 2, Inequalities, Hospital's rule, Numerical first-order differential equations and Reducible differential equations (topics listed in the advanced information). I didn't have enough time to cover vectors, so I unfortunately had to miss two vectors questions in my exam. However, I am confident I scored around 55/75.

My last paper is on the 23rd June and it is on Decision 1 (apparently the so called 'easy' option). Will update the thread on the 23rd, detailing what I have done from the 15th to the exam.

I'm going to put my all into the final days and hopefully smash the final paper!

I also confirmed my answers with unofficial mark schemes posted on YouTube and have listed my 'scores' below:

Paper 1 - 59/75
Paper 2 - 60/75
Paper 3 - 55/75
Paper 4 (still to be sat) - /75
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 37
It's currently 4am right now, and I have been studying since 12pm. Topics in decision maths take so long to cover I have only done two topics today :frown:. I have studied 11 hours today and if this was Pure I would have covered 4 topics by now. 2 days left till I am done with maths until university :smile:

Time to go to sleep, tomorrow is a new day (to do some more maths).
Reply 38
Final paper update:

I sat my last paper (Decision 1) on the 23rd June. I was really tired in the exam, I had 5 hours sleep because I spent most of the night recapping everything I had covered in the past week (major regret because I knew everything lol), but the exam went well! Hopefully, if I got all the questions I believe I got correct, correct then I think I should be able to get an A grade overall.

I believe on this paper I scored 50-60/75.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by RSADH
Final paper update:

I sat my last paper (Decision 1) on the 23rd June. I was really tired in the exam, I had 5 hours sleep because I spent most of the night recapping everything I had covered in the past week (major regret because I knew everything lol), but the exam went well! Hopefully, if I got all the questions I believe I got correct, correct then I think I should be able to get an A grade overall

Congratulations! That is super impressive, and the amount of dedication you have to have to go from the start to an A in 2 months is unbelievable. Even if in the worst case scenario, you get a B, that is outstanding and so inspiring. Well done on your efforts! :thumbsup:

Quick Reply

Latest