How much revision are you doing right now?

Watch this thread
Poll: How much revision are you doing right now?
10-20 hours a week (305)
39.56%
5-10 hours a week (169)
21.92%
Less than 5 hours a week (137)
17.77%
I haven't started (128)
16.6%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (32)
4.15%
BlinkyBill
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
If you're in Year 11 or 13, the exam season is fairly on the horizon now. Some of you might have been revising for a while, but maybe some of you are struggling with the motivation to get started.

So how much revision are you doing right now?

If you need some inspiration, we've got some tips to kick start your revision, and there's loads of other students chatting in our revision and study tips forum.

We'll be here to help as much as possible in the lead up and during exams, including the return of our exam discussions and unofficial markschemes.
Find your A-level exam discussions
Find your GCSE exam discussions
Last edited by BlinkyBill; 2 months ago

sarahbery
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 months ago
i'm revising way to much (15 hours a week). i don't mean to, but i just find myself doing it. i like studying, it's not draining for me. and anyways, it's not like i have a choice, my parents are kinda strict. it's so nice to have immigrant parents
iL1L
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
I don't know for sure but I am also juggling a great deal of IB work at the same time
Butler974g
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
Tooooo much
jjzsilva
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
4 hours a day, 6 days a week

only cause its the easter holidays tho

on a normal school day now i do whatever we do in lessons + 2 hours a day and then a 4 hour day on sunday
M_io
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
Up until now, I've been revising around 4 hours a day. From today onwards, I'm planning to wake up early and revise for around 10 hours with breaks in between. There's still a lot of content to go through and I don't even know if I'm going to end up taking the exams due to personal medical circumstances but whatever. I don't want to end up regretting anything later on.
Manning507y
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
I do around 10 hours a week rn
botetohotomoto
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
liars!
mystudentlife
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
After reading this thread I’ve realised I’m not doing enough, especially these past few days I’ve done notjing
Last edited by mystudentlife; 2 months ago
iL1L
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by M_io)
Up until now, I've been revising around 4 hours a day. From today onwards, I'm planning to wake up early and revise for around 10 hours with breaks in between. There's still a lot of content to go through and I don't even know if I'm going to end up taking the exams due to personal medical circumstances but whatever. I don't want to end up regretting anything later on.
How will you manage that?
harlz_chalamet
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by botetohotomoto)
liars!
you think they're actually doing more or less ??

i say more
M_io
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Il1L)
How will you manage that?
Well, for example, today I woke up at 5:00 am after around 7 hours of sleep. I ate breakfast and so my revision commenced at 5:30 am.
5:30-8:30 am - revision
15 min break+snack
8:45-12:00pm - revision
15 min break+snack
12:15-4:15pm -revision

Then I have dinner and that's it. Sometimes it's more spaced out but this is my general timetable. I have a surprisingly good attention span which I am so grateful for as I know many people struggle to revise for long periods of time. I also have previous experience doing this for the first ever mocks I sat in year 10 and it worked out pretty well. The only thing I regret is not starting earlier.
M_io
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by sarahbery)
i'm revising way to much (15 hours a week). i don't mean to, but i just find myself doing it. i like studying, it's not draining for me. and anyways, it's not like i have a choice, my parents are kinda strict. it's so nice to have immigrant parents
I think that the more you revise the better. I bet you'll end up doing really well, good luck!!!!!
botetohotomoto
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by M_io)
Well, for example, today I woke up at 5:00 am after around 7 hours of sleep. I ate breakfast and so my revision commenced at 5:30 am.
5:30-8:30 am - revision
15 min break+snack
8:45-12:00pm - revision
15 min break+snack
12:15-4:15pm -revision

Then I have dinner and that's it. Sometimes it's more spaced out but this is my general timetable. I have a surprisingly good attention span which I am so grateful for as I know many people struggle to revise for long periods of time. I also have previous experience doing this for the first ever mocks I sat in year 10 and it worked out pretty well. The only thing I regret is not starting earlier.
wow that sounds like such a good system u have going. Do u manage to keep to that schedule or do u ever not feel like it? What time u go to bed to wake up so early? lol
M_io
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by botetohotomoto)
wow that sounds like such a good system u have going. Do u manage to keep to that schedule or do u ever not feel like it? What time u go to bed to wake up so early?
Well, the last time I practised this schedule was 2 weeks before my first set of mock exams, luckily it was the holidays so I could revise properly. To be honest, though it seems difficult it isn't that bad once you start. I have always disliked revision but my parents made me realise that I'd only be working intensively for those two weeks and then I could relax afterwards with no regrets. Having this mindset along with the drive to want to do well is really helpful. I ended up doing really well for those mocks but I never used this schedule again until now because it was a bit draining, however, since the GCSEs are coming up I've decided to bring this back into practice. If I don't feel like it, I remind myself of how guilty and stressed out I'll feel the next day. You need to find something that motivates you. Is it getting good grades? Impressing your parents? Proving to everyone that you're actually smart? Whatever it is, make sure that it motivates you to do work. I generally try to be in bed by 10 pm cuz that's my curfew LMAO
Flk10
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by M_io)
Well, the last time I practised this schedule was 2 weeks before my first set of mock exams, luckily it was the holidays so I could revise properly. To be honest, though it seems difficult it isn't that bad once you start. I have always disliked revision but my parents made me realise that I'd only be working intensively for those two weeks and then I could relax afterwards with no regrets. Having this mindset along with the drive to want to do well is really helpful. I ended up doing really well for those mocks but I never used this schedule again until now because it was a bit draining, however, since the GCSEs are coming up I've decided to bring this back into practice. If I don't feel like it, I remind myself of how guilty and stressed out I'll feel the next day. You need to find something that motivates you. Is it getting good grades? Impressing your parents? Proving to everyone that you're actually smart? Whatever it is, make sure that it motivates you to do work. I generally try to be in bed by 10 pm cuz that's my curfew LMAO
Well done! That’s a really impressive work ethic. That is exactly the right approach to take imo- you should be working as hard as you can in the few weeks before exams so that you’ll have no regrets.

Do your parents expect you to do 10 hours? How many hours do you do on school nights?
sarahbery
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by M_io)
that's really inspiring, i love that. luckily, i've been revising for my final gcses since summer last year, so studying now is pretty easy
Evil Homer
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by mystudentlife)
After reading this thread I’ve realised I’m not doing enough, especially these past few days I’ve done notjing
It's best not to compare yourself to others too much, different students will be doing such a varied amount of revision.

The most important thing is that you find a way to revise effectively. By all means push yourself and motivate yourself to revise more but remember that you need to look after yourself as well. If you burn out during your revision then you're not going to head into the exam season feeling prepared.

Self care is key!
mystudentlife
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Evil Homer)
It's best not to compare yourself to others too much, different students will be doing such a varied amount of revision.

The most important thing is that you find a way to revise effectively. By all means push yourself and motivate yourself to revise more but remember that you need to look after yourself as well. If you burn out during your revision then you're not going to head into the exam season feeling prepared.

Self care is key!
Thanks, that really helped tbh, often I compare myself to people but I feel like if I don't have those few day breaks in between I would just be so much more stressed..
s.norman182
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
I thought it was per day so i put 5-10 hours oops
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Does school Maths prepare people well enough for the future?

Yes, it gives everyone a good foundation for any future path (48)
30.57%
Somewhat, if your future involves maths/STEM (68)
43.31%
No, it doesn't teach enough practical life skills (39)
24.84%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (2)
1.27%

Watched Threads