The Student Room Group
No I'm pretty sure you can buy them from a shop rather than ordering them.
Reply 2
is there such thing as a young person or student oystercard? if ur 17 do u jus have to by the adult rate oyster card?
Hmm I'm not sure about that one. I have a student railcard which gets me discount on trains/tube but I don't know about the Oyster card. Have you looked on the TFL website?
Asian cutie
hey, ive read loads n loads about oyster cards, but im stilil not sure if i want to get an oyster card for a bus, do i jus got to a shop that sells them and buy one? or do i have to order it??

I'm assuming you've been here then - http://www.oystercard.com/? That has pretty much everything you'd need to know I think...
Reply 5
yeah, it didnt really clear it up
Reply 6
careful, they are being used to track users..big brother
Reply 7
Oh well, your on hundreds of CCTV camera's a day anyway and I dont really see the issue anyway...
All an oyster card is is instead of giving you a paper bit to show the driver/put in the ticket barrier when you buy a travelcard, they give you a piece of blue plastic which you put on the yellow readers on busses/tube barriers. Nout special, but it does speed things up 'cause you've just gotta slap it on the reader rather than wait for the driver to read the date/the machine to spit it back out.

I think if you buy a monthly travelcard, you'll get it on oyster card anyway now - part of the scheme to speed up rush hour I think.

I don't think you can get them for weekly travelcards or less, but I'm not sure.

They also do pre-paid things where you put a certain amount on your card for a journey, and then just put it on the yellow reader at the start and end of your journey, but this seems a bit odd, 'cause what if you make more journies than you intend?

Anyway, hope that helped.

If you've got any more questions, go to a tube station, that'll answer your questions for you.

Edit: Oh yeah - if you're a student at a uni in london, you can get 30% off your travel, if you apply for a £5 discount card. The forms should be available at your SU, and it'll take about 2 weeks to come through the post to you.
Reply 9
For now, get a 16-17 photocard and get child bus passes.

Weekly is £4 and monthly is £15.40
I think they are planning on bringing in a student version soon.
Reply 11
They have a student version. You have to apply at a tube station for one I think. The rules are on their site
Reply 12
just get child tickets and pray for the best...
train/tube/bus is SO ridiculously expensive for a crap service
grr...

Latest

Trending

Trending