The Student Room Group

Rational theory- politics

Does anyone know what this is? I take US politics and in the advanced info it states that we need to know rational theory but I have no idea what that is and how it correlates to certain aspects of the course.

If anyone could tell me what it is and/or outline different aspects of the course that it relates to eg examples of it that would be much appreciated
Reply 1
What level of politics? A levels or uni?

I’d assume A levels so essentially rational choice theory is in the name. People making the most utilitarian decisions they can.

The rational choice model is the idea that the majority of voters don’t have a strong political alignment and will vote based off of judgements made from factors relevant to them as a voter.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 2
Original post by brjf
What level of politics? A levels or uni?

I’d assume A levels so essentially rational choice theory is in the name. People making the most utilitarian decisions they can.

The rational choice model is the idea that the majority of voters don’t have a strong political alignment and will vote based off of judgements made from factors relevant to them as a voter.

Yeah for A-Levels.

I understand how rational choice theory is basically how voters vote to maximise their own utility as much as possible but I don't understand how I would talk about rational theory in regards to the President or Pressure Groups or Federalism for example
Reply 3
Original post by Layla1712
Yeah for A-Levels.

I understand how rational choice theory is basically how voters vote to maximise their own utility as much as possible but I don't understand how I would talk about rational theory in regards to the President or Pressure Groups or Federalism for example

Well use a certain issue and apply it and analyse it.

Could be issues around healthcare, guns etc
Reply 4
Original post by Layla1712
Yeah for A-Levels.

honestly same im so confused

Quick Reply

Latest