How do you know if an element exists diatomically for Edexcel iGCSE?

Watch this thread
OMDawg88
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I am doing a practice paper and just incorrectly answered a question in which I had to write the chemical equation to make ammonia. I did not know that nitrogen is a diatomic molecule, and it did not say in the question.
How do you know if an element exists diatomically? I know that hydrogen, oxygen, halogens and some others do, but is there a rule?
TriplexA
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by OMDawg88)
I am doing a practice paper and just incorrectly answered a question in which I had to write the chemical equation to make ammonia. I did not know that nitrogen is a diatomic molecule, and it did not say in the question.
How do you know if an element exists diatomically? I know that hydrogen, oxygen, halogens and some others do, but is there a rule?
Group 7 elements are usually diatomic i.e. Cl2, Br2, I2
SagaciousSag
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
Hydrogen, oxygen, Group 7 and nitrogen are the ones you need to know. Nitrogen has a triple covalent bond.
OMDawg88
Rep:
(Original post by TriplexA)
Group 7 elements are usually diatomic i.e. Cl2, Br2, I2
Yes (halogens as I said) but so is nitrogen, oxygen etc. Is there a rule or do I just memorise them? Thanks for answering.
OMDawg88
Rep:
Ok thanks. I'll just learn them.

(Original post by SagaciousSag)
Hydrogen, oxygen, Group 7 and nitrogen are the ones you need to know. Nitrogen has a triple covalent bond.
melancollege
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
Yes (halogens as I said) but so is nitrogen, oxygen etc. Is there a rule or do I just memorise them? Thanks for answering.
There are rules and explanations as to why certain ones are diatomic, but it's honestly easier just to learn them for GCSE as the explanations are no easier to learn at this level
bl0bf1sh
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
a webpage (amongst many) giving a decent overview:
https://chemistrytalk.org/diatomic-elements/

it's something you just remember
JA03
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
There’s no general rule, you just have to remember that H, N, O, Cl, F, Br and I are all diatomic.

edit: its all the main halogens i.e iodine, bromine, chlorine, fluorine. then remember its nitrogen, oxygen and hydrogen too. it almost makes an upside down L shape on the periodic table if that helps.
Last edited by JA03; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (27)
27.55%
As I expected (29)
29.59%
Harder (35)
35.71%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (7)
7.14%

Watched Threads