Geography tectonics question help?

Watch this thread
delinabg
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Does anyone know why volcanoes at constructive plate margins are of lower magnitude? Not really sure how to explain it
JA03
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 months ago
A-Level Geography student over here.

Constructive margin = divergent plate boundary
Volcanoes at divergent plate boundaries tend to be shield volcanoes which are made of layers of lava. It is of a lower magnitude because it is a much shallower volcano than a composite volcano as well as the lava running out of it is very runny and fast flowing (it's basaltic if you're an a-level student) and they happen more frequently and because they happen more frequently, the lava doesn't form a crater (which turns into volcanic bombs)
Give an example if you're in doubt! I believe there is a shield volcano in Iceland so always have an example on the ready!
Hope this helps!

Just remember:
Runnier lava
Shallower volcano
More frequent quiet eruptions
delinabg
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by JA03)
A-Level Geography student over here.

Constructive margin = divergent plate boundary
Volcanoes at divergent plate boundaries tend to be shield volcanoes which are made of layers of lava. It is of a lower magnitude because it is a much shallower volcano than a composite volcano as well as the lava running out of it is very runny and fast flowing (it's basaltic if you're an a-level student) and they happen more frequently and because they happen more frequently, the lava doesn't form a crater (which turns into volcanic bombs)
Give an example if you're in doubt! I believe there is a shield volcano in Iceland so always have an example on the ready!
Hope this helps!

Just remember:
Runnier lava
Shallower volcano
More frequent quiet eruptions
That was so helpful thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (21)
27.63%
As I expected (23)
30.26%
Harder (28)
36.84%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (4)
5.26%

Watched Threads