The Student Room Group
College Building - City, University of London
City University
London
Visit website

social/uni life at City Uni

Hi, I've received a conditional offer to study criminology and sociology at City Uni in September but I was just wondering if anyone knows what the social aspect at city is like? Are there freshers events? what's the night life like for students who go to city? is it easy to make friends there?
Thanks x
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, I've received a conditional offer to study criminology and sociology at City Uni in September but I was just wondering if anyone knows what the social aspect at city is like? Are there freshers events? what's the night life like for students who go to city? is it easy to make friends there?
Thanks x

commenting because I'm also wondering about those things
College Building - City, University of London
City University
London
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by jxnna01
hi i’ve firmed city but still unsure about the nightlife and making friends which is worrying me 😭

Hi I just firmed city too for business and management....what course are you going to be taking?
Original post by momo66
Hi I just firmed city too for business and management....what course are you going to be taking?

i'm thinking of firming city for business and management too!!
I was thinking of firming City as well to study criminology
In my experience as a 3rd year student, dont come to City if youre expecting much on the social aspect. People are quite insular, foreign students tend to stick to people from their own country. Also, the percentage of students who commute to uni is higher than the average so many students will already have their own circle of friends from before uni so they will put in less efforts. The societies are a bit meh aswell
Obviously thats just my personal experience so it wont apply to all. Other students will disagree but thats just my view. The teaching support etc is pretty good and i have no complaints about that
Id be happy to answer any questions you guys have. Do a quote reply so i see ur questions
Reply 8
Original post by od5465
Obviously thats just my personal experience so it wont apply to all. Other students will disagree but thats just my view. The teaching support etc is pretty good and i have no complaints about that

I really think it depends on the individual....maybe if we make an effort a good social life isn't too hard
Reply 9
Original post by od5465
Id be happy to answer any questions you guys have. Do a quote reply so i see ur questions

What's the accomodation like? And which one is mostly for business students.
And does it make any difference that the uni is in the centre of london?
Original post by od5465

It's good to hear that the teaching suport is good.....wasn't sure what to expect
this uni has terrible social life , especially after covid they have made alot of things 'hybrid' (mostly online lol.)
Original post by od5465
In my experience as a 3rd year student, dont come to City if youre expecting much on the social aspect. People are quite insular, foreign students tend to stick to people from their own country. Also, the percentage of students who commute to uni is higher than the average so many students will already have their own circle of friends from before uni so they will put in less efforts. The societies are a bit meh aswell

Agreed.
Reply 13
Original post by jxnna01
hi i’ve firmed city but still unsure about the nightlife and making friends which is worrying me 😭

omg same!! i've accepted city as my first choice but the only thing worrying me is making friends, what course are you taking?
Original post by Anonymous
Thanks x

Hello, I hope you are well! My name is Abida and I am an official Economics Student Representative at City, University of London.

Firstly, congratulations on receiving an offer to join us at City, University of London! This is a great achievement and we look forward to hopefully welcoming you on-campus in future.

The social aspect at City UoL is great! Firstly, we have a Freshers Welcome Week in the first week before you start university, so you will have plenty of opportunities to meet new people through the various activities they have going on both on-site and off-site. For example, I remember when I had my Freshers Week, we had a Boat Party. You will also have a Societies Fair where you can join up to any societies of your interest. Here, through society events, you can make friends with those of similar interest to you. We even have our very own CityBar on-campus too. Moreover, as the university is in the heart of London, there are plenty of restaurants nearby and opportunities for night life.

Please let me know if you had any general questions about studying at City, University of London and I would be happy to answer any questions. I wish you all the very best in your future studies!

Kindest regards,
Abida
Official Economics Student Representative
City, University of London
Same!
Reply 16
same here
Original post by k13d
omg same!! i've accepted city as my first choice but the only thing worrying me is making friends, what course are you taking?
Reply 17
Do you have any advice in terms of accommodation? I have read the reviews for the halls provided by the uni and they are all awful lol. Should I go with private accommodation elsewhere?
Original post by od5465

Quick Reply