The Student Room Group

is it safe to take stuffed toys to uni?

idc whether people think its weird or not, but im a little worried whether it could potentially get lost. im autsitic and i have a stuffed rabbit that helps calm me down when everything gets a bit too much sensory-wise, the worn texture and familiarity makes me feel safe. i just dont want it to get nicked or messed with or lost, and my mum actually went out of her way to tell me i shouldnt bring any sentimental objects with me. would it be alright?
Reply 1
Yeah its fine as long as it stays in your room or at least house. Things that typically get lost are things everyone has the same of such as forks, not personalised plushies/ pillows etc. I dont know about if you take it around outside though.
id bring a safe so u can store it securely, some wont judge u, some will, its human nature, i personally dont see anything wrong with it at all
Hi @bigtallray when I give advice to people on what they should bring from home to university halls I actually encourage bringing sentimental items, as they are comforting and can make the place you are staying at feel more like home. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that, especially as it plays such an important role in your life. Your room is your room, no one can go in there without your permission/you being there too. You will have two keys, one to get into the main accommodation area, and another specifically for your room, so if it is in your room then it will be safe. As for getting lost, I doubt you would misplace something so important to you. Perhaps designate a space in your room for it, and after using it put it back there, that way it definitely won't get lost. If you need it when you are out, just make sure it's in a bag you can fully close to make sure it won't fall out, but I doubt anyone would steal it, and if it's on your person or in your room then no one should be able to mess with it.

I hope this helps you feel less worried :smile:

- Rosie
It should be fine, at least in first year while you're in halls, since usually halls rooms have locking doors (that are on card access or similar), so people can't get in there while you aren't there except the facilities staff (who won't care or be interested in that and will just be doing their jobs to check fire alarms or similar). After you move out of halls and into private rented accommodation with others, you probably won't have a lockable door. However hopefully you will have found people to move in with who are respectful of each others spaces and belongings and won't go into your room without you present anyway.

In terms of keeping track of it and not having it become lost, the above suggestion of having a particular location for it would probably help. That said halls rooms aren't that big and there's a limit on how much stuff you can manage to bring with you anyway so I imagine it'd be hard to lose stuff, at least in the long term (you might misplace it in the short term if your room gets a bit messy but since there is only so much space it wouldn't be hard to find stuff once you tidy and/or are packing up to move out).
Original post by bigtallray
idc whether people think its weird or not, but im a little worried whether it could potentially get lost. im autsitic and i have a stuffed rabbit that helps calm me down when everything gets a bit too much sensory-wise, the worn texture and familiarity makes me feel safe. i just dont want it to get nicked or messed with or lost, and my mum actually went out of her way to tell me i shouldnt bring any sentimental objects with me. would it be alright?

Hey,

It should be fine, but I recommend that you keep it safe within your room etc. to minimise the chances of it getting lost. I have my teddy from when I was little with me at uni :smile:

All the best,
Sara

Hi @bigtallray

It should be ok, students are welcome to bring all kinds of memento's and items that make them feel safe and/or remind them of home. University is a big step for a lot of people, so anything that makes that transition easier for you would be a great idea. On top of that, in first year University accommodation should have locking doors, so as long as you make sure to keep your door locked, then anything you bring with you and leave in your room should be perfectly safe.

Longer term, in second/third year, if you're living in private accommodation with some friends, then they should be understanding of your needs and everyone should be respectful of each others property.

Anything that will make you feel more at home I think is worth bringing with you :smile:

I hope this helps!
Tom
Reply 7

It's definitely not weird, I have three I brought in my first year and now have in second year. I'd say as long as it stays in your room you'll be fine, especially if your room has a locking door. Even if it doesn't, I'd just make clear to your flatmates that either your room is off-limits, or the rabbit itself is extremely important to you; most people are surprisingly nice about stuff like that (in my experience at least).
Get an NFC tag and stick it to the plushie.
Hi!
Lots of people will bring a childhood teddy to uni, so your rabbit will be in good company! You'll have one key to get into your flat, and then you can always lock your bedroom. It sounds like it might be very helpful to have it at uni with you, but maybe just keep it in your room in a set place to keep it super safe! If you're still not sure, you could always buy a duplicate, or find a similar one or a fabric that has a similar sensory sensation, perhaps even a soft hoodie that you could wear!

Latest

Trending

Trending