The Student Room Group

English Literature Coursework

My school is doing a coursework unit where we are supposed to read 4 books of our own (I did The Time Machine, The Power, Children of Men and Never Let me Go) to compare to Handmaids Tale. I was just wondering if anyone has potential themes which link towards each book and a question since I don't know much about the Handmaids tale. I was originally thinking social division between Handmaids tale and The Time Machine however I am not sure.
Hello,
I'm not aware of your 4 book choices however I study The Handmaid's Tale at A-Level literature. I 100% agree that something like Marxism theory would work for The Handmaid's Tale, looking at class divide within the Gilead Regime and the power divide. Hope this helps!
Thanks for the reply,
I appreciate your help with this, could you please tell me how Marxism theory links to Handmaids Tale since I am unsure about this
Original post by HasanKhan8321
Thanks for the reply,
I appreciate your help with this, could you please tell me how Marxism theory links to Handmaids Tale since I am unsure about this

I would personally go with the analysis of societal construct and how that influences power. However, I'm not sure if this will work with your other texts as I haven't read them. Although if it does work then I think it would be beneficial to look at the chapters in which the implementation of the Gilead regime is described (eg... freezing the bank accounts).

Side note: you could also take the Marxist perspective of how the authors experiences and beliefs will influence a text (eg... Atwood was inspired by the puritan society, themes of environmental toxic waste leads us to think of Chernobyll).

Really sorry if this doesn't work, I really hope it helps to generate some ideas🤞 Good luck!! I found Literature coursework particularly difficult.
Thanks,
I am slowly getting to know what you are talking about. Are we allowed to compare differences between texts or is it only similarities within course work.

I was thinking of doing the title linking with how society is controlled within texts which is vague but I was planning to do different sub headings within my coursework such as technology etc but would I be allowed to do this?
Thanks,
I am slowly getting to know what you are talking about. Are we allowed to compare differences between texts or is it only similarities within course work.

I was thinking of doing the title linking with how society is controlled within texts which is vague but I was planning to do different sub headings within my coursework such as technology etc but would I be allowed to do this?

I have no idea. Apologies! My best guess would be to make sure you know your examination board and then look up the specification online. (Eg... mine was AQA A Level Literature NEA- exam board would be AQA)

Hopefully this helps, I only know of excel as another exam board for this.
My school is doing a coursework unit where we are supposed to read 4 books of our own (I did The Time Machine, The Power, Children of Men and Never Let me Go) to compare to Handmaids Tale. I was just wondering if anyone has potential themes which link towards each book and a question since I don't know much about the Handmaids tale. I was originally thinking social division between Handmaids tale and The Time Machine however I am not sure.

My set text was Frankenstein but I read both THT and NLMG!

They are both great choices and have many links such as othering, suffering, suppression, and political agendas (NLMG set in thatchers Britain vs the extreme political thinkings in Atwood's - influenced by dictators? such as the Nazis perhaps.), science and tech and many more.

For AQA they like you to use a critic in your question (this is completely made up and not an actual critic - find some online)
It has been said that both The Handmaids Tale and Never Let Me Go present a clear 'distinction between them and us'. In the light of this comment compare and contrast the ways in which The Handmaid Tale and Never Let Me Go present othering.
OR - the critic can talk about one book...
It has been said that Never Let Me Go is a product of 'political tensions and suffering in 80s England'. In the light of this comment present how the two chosen texts explore suffering and political ideologies.

If you need help finding examples from Never Let Me Go to support your points lmk :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest