Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lessthanthree)
    here's some controversy for you:

I think convicted killers should be used for drug testing and disease research ...stuff like that. We could liberate the monkeys and use the real deal.
    OOOOOOOOOOH!
    I used to believe in the death penalty,I don't think I do now but things like this do make me question my beliefs

ReputationRep:
    Like I said.

Rampton - home to the most sickening, degenarate, murderous psychos

HAS A PLASMA TV, BAR, AND BUNNIES!!!!
    I'm not disputing the facilities, I'm just emphasising that really it isn't a pleasant environment!

ReputationRep:
    Like I said.

Rampton - home to the most sickening, degenarate, murderous psychos

HAS A PLASMA TV, BAR, AND BUNNIES!!!!
    some lovely people in HMP Maze...but then this wonderful "peace process" that everyone loves so much deemed them suitable to walk the streets.

disgrace

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    I'm not disputing the facilities, I'm just emphasising that really it isn't a pleasant environment!
    too pleasant.

(Original post by blissy)
    your susposed to be in prison as punishment. not as a holiday camp, with large TV's etc

ReputationRep:
    it's sure as hell a better environment than they deserve. It's like butlins.
    But I'm not talking about the facilities. I'm talking about the other inmates. I agree that facilites like that are a bit too luxurious, but people forget that you're living in a place with lots of other people who are truly bizarre, distrubed, unpredictable and sometimes violent.

ReputationRep:
    If I could praise one thing about America,their justice system is far more appropriate than ours in terms of the conditions prisoners are kept in and the length of sentence they receive!You wouldn't see child rapists etc freed on bail in 3 years over there!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by technik)
    things like this cement my view that we need a death penalty. some people just need removed
    Ridiculous argument. We really need to consider what kind of society we're trying to create - one where we sink to the level of "removing people" - would be, in my opinion, a much worse one.

(Original post by Tonight Matthew)
    Ridiculous argument. We really need to consider what kind of society we're trying to create - one where we sink to the level of "removing people" - would be, in my opinion, a much worse one.
    IMO, removing people like that is the best thing to do. we need to prove to people that they cant get away with murder

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by technik)
    better than your tax being spent to keep him alive and then on benefits for the rest of his life when he cant get a job
    Do you know how much it costs to secure a death penalty (in the US)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andrew2022)
    IMO, removing people like that is the best thing to do. we need to prove to people that they cant get away with murder
    Uh? He hasn't got away with murder. He's gone to prison.

And moreover - you really think that someone prepared to act in such a sick way has any real respect for human life in the first place that the risk of losing his would be a real detterent?

ReputationRep:
    Nice point!The thought of just 'removing' people like that just sets off alarm bells in my head.

Do you know how much it costs to secure a death penalty (in the US)?
    id imagine a bit less than looking after them for the rest of their lives

(Original post by *alicia*)
    Nice point!The thought of just 'removing' people like that just sets off alarm bells in my head.
    so its OK to remove innocent people who were murdered?

ReputationRep:
    id imagine a bit less than looking after them for the rest of their lives
    Wrong. Do some research - time and time again, studies show that securing a death penalty costs more than keeping them in prison for the rest of their life.

ReputationRep:
    No - where did I say that? I didn't.

ReputationRep:
    No I didn't say that! :confused: Obviously I'm not condoning murder,but to me the death penalty just seems WRONG.Obviously I might feel different if someone close to me was murdered but I just don't like the whole idea of it.Something inside me tells me it's a crime almost as bad as the murder in the first place.A prison sentence in a tough american jail for example is probably harsher than death by lethal injection,and ther's also no evidence that it acts as a deterrent.

ReputationRep:
    What?

ReputationRep:
    What?
    LessThanThree thinks we should test on prisoners instead of animals.Y'know cures for disease and stuff

ReputationRep:
    well, if you had read the thread's earlier pages you would have come accross my opinion on what should be done to murders.
    Oh okay. I'm not sure whether the notion of testing on prisoners instead of animals is even worthy of being dismissed.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.