This discussion is closed.
Checking for Spies
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Tonight Matthew)
Oh okay. I'm not sure whether the notion of testing on prisoners instead of animals is even worthy of being dismissed.
Lol
Again it just seems a little WRONG to me......
Tonight Matthew
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by lessthanthree)
and why is that? Apart from it being a violation of the current human rights acts [as is the death penalty here, so we're discussing future options]..what's your problem?
Because I don't believe that a human has a right to test on someone in the same way that I don't believe that a human has a right to murder someone.
technik
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Do you know how much it costs to secure a death penalty (in the US)?
is this is the USA? i think not. so hush
Tonight Matthew
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by technik)
is this is the USA? i think not. so hush
Um, but considering that we don't have the death penalty here, it was necessary to use the US as a point to compare from. If you look at other countries that have the death penalty, the US are most probably the closest to us in socio-economic/cultural terms, and so the best to draw a comparison from.

A comparison which actually pretty much negates your "keeping them alive is far too expensive" argument.

"So hush".. or at least think before you reply in the future.
Tonight Matthew
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
that doesn't make the suggestion unworthy of even being dismissed, now does it. No.
I didn't say it was - I said I wasn't sure whether it was even worthy of being dismissed. I'm still not sure, as in my opinion (for the reason I gave), it's an absolutely ridiculous suggestion.

Are you going to reply to my reason for thinking it's so ridiculous or not?
Tonight Matthew
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
well there's not much I can say to it really, since you're gung-ho for the human rights..and I think being a murderer pretty much negates your rights.

I'm not the most forgiving person in the world, as you might imagine. SO on that point, we'll have to aree to disagree.

I have always thought it a good idea, because it enables them to pay back a debt to society, aid in medical advances, and give more relevant testing results than if animals were being used. Just think, they might save an innocent life in the end. It's cruel, yes..but so are they.

that's all, really.
Alright. About your point that commiting a murder 'pretty much negates your rights'.. if someone, in prison for example, murders a prisoner in there for murder themselves - should they be punished?
MorbidAngel
Report 14 years ago
ooooh toughie.

I think they should be punished.

But I don't know why...because the other murderer was [in my eyes] a lowlife. I think it's more the act of killing that deserves retribution, not who the victim is. But then there's a horrible little part of me, which things "ah, one less drain on society"

So it's a hung jury with me on that'n.

But it probably wouldn't happen if my plan were in plae, because they wouldn't be in a position to interact with one another..they'd probably all have to be isolated due to whatever infections they had and schtuff.
i agree with u
Tonight Matthew
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Please answer yes or no; should someone who murders a murderer be punished?

Because after all - if you say 'no' - you're saying that murder is fine.. but then again, you're also saying murder should be punished by death.

Consistency?
vickyrkenya
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
They should put them to work. Labour stuff within the prisons, why the heck should everyone else have to work an eight hour day while they just lounge around.
Tonight Matthew
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
What about if someone murdered their abusive husband, but they went down for first degree? Would they get tested on or not?
technik
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Um, but considering that we don't have the death penalty here, it was necessary to use the US as a point to compare from. If you look at other countries that have the death penalty, the US are most probably the closest to us in socio-economic/cultural terms, and so the best to draw a comparison from.

A comparison which actually pretty much negates your "keeping them alive is far too expensive" argument.

"So hush".. or at least think before you reply in the future.
the american legal system is far different from our own. comparisons will be flawed.
Ghost
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Please answer yes or no; should someone who murders a murderer be punished?

Because after all - if you say 'no' - you're saying that murder is fine.. but then again, you're also saying murder should be punished by death.

Consistency?
Yes, they should be punished. Vigilantes cannot be allowed to exist. People taking the law into their own hands is not a good thing, leave it up to those in the justice system to issue the death sentence.
naymeee
Badges: 0
Report 14 years ago
in my opinion murderers who pre-meditate should be the ones to be tested on, not for example the wife for killing her abusive husband etc.some people commit such sick crimes and i would much rather see them suffer than animals.i dont think us humans are that great anyway.if we couldnt communicate, hurting each other would mean even less-thats why many people dont give a damn about torturing animals-just because they cant hear them begging for mercy.its so ignorant but hey, thats some humans for you..
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (135)
62.79%
No I haven't decided yet (46)
21.4%
Yes but I might change my mind (34)
15.81%

Watched Threads