The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Studying at Warwick?

I’m stuck between studying at Warwick and bath, Warwick is Russel group and Bath isn’t but Bath has a year in industry for my course. What are the pros and cons of studying at Warwick?
Original post by C14ud1a
I’m stuck between studying at Warwick and bath, Warwick is Russel group and Bath isn’t but Bath has a year in industry for my course. What are the pros and cons of studying at Warwick?

Depends. Both universities have to publish on their webpages certain information (and newspapers carry these in their league tables, too)

1. Entry Requirements (higher isn't always an equal measure of quality, just popularity)
2. Progression/Continuation (how many as a % of students pass 1st year into second year - when students fail, it's almost always in their first year - low progression rates start to wave a red flag).
3. NSS (National Student Survey rates) - what's the Overall Satisfaction (pre Pandemic - students hated the pandemic and lashed out at all their universities) of your chosen subject at each university?
4. Graduate Outcomes (as a % how many students graduating walk into a graduate level job within a year? - low = bad; high = good)

5. What is the academic standing of the staff in the dept - do they publish academic work every year (at least one academic paper a year?) check out the department (for your chosen course) and check out the staff "who we are" or similar named, and check the tab that says "research" - it'll list the research there. Why is this important? good researchers tend to make the best, most up to date and innovative teachers at university level.

Good luck!
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
Original post by Advice Man
Depends. Both universities have to publish on their webpages certain information (and newspapers carry these in their league tables, too)

1. Entry Requirements (higher isn't always an equal measure of quality, just popularity)
2. Progression/Continuation (how many as a % of students pass 1st year into second year - when students fail, it's almost always in their first year - low progression rates start to wave a red flag).
3. NSS (National Student Survey rates) - what's the Overall Satisfaction (pre Pandemic - students hated the pandemic and lashed out at all their universities) of your chosen subject at each university?
4. Graduate Outcomes (as a % how many students graduating walk into a graduate level job within a year? - low = bad; high = good)

5. What is the academic standing of the staff in the dept - do they publish academic work every year (at least one academic paper a year?) check out the department (for your chosen course) and check out the staff "who we are" or similar named, and check the tab that says "research" - it'll list the research there. Why is this important? good researchers tend to make the best, most up to date and innovative teachers at university level.

Good luck!

Thank you so much I will definitely look into those more.
Original post by C14ud1a

The subject lead mentioned this (the course I applied for doesn’t have a year in industry either). They said that actually it can be quite disruptive to gaining a degree. Instead they have a ton of internships for short term placements especially over the summer.. They have masses of links to industry too and these re really valuable in gaining work either short term or post degree.
So maybe industry work for a year isn’t as useful as you’d think really.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending