The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Experience at Durham as a POC

Hey, I was wondering if anyone was willing to share their experience at Durham uni as a POC (it is currently my top side alongside Notts)
Original post by Anonymous
Hey, I was wondering if anyone was willing to share their experience at Durham uni as a POC (it is currently my top side alongside Notts)

Hi there

Both Lamesha and I are persons of colour- she's been here for 3 years and I for 8 months so we can both share our experiences with you.

Personally I've never faced any discrimination or racism with regards to my skin colour, economic background and nationality. Even though it is normal to find more white students for obvious reasons, persons of colour are fairly common too. Irrespective of their race, I have been able to make friends pretty easily. Almost everyone is very welcoming and makes you feel belonged. There are also associations and societies of POC that you can join. Don't worry- I know Durham has a bad rep for being racist and I agree some incidents have happened but that does not make the University bad as a whole. As long as you find people you feel comfortable with, it should all be pretty smooth sailing!

-Himieka (Official DU Rep)
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by Anonymous

Hi,

Just following on from Himeka. Personally, it was a culture shock and I have faced discrimination in Durham but there is an extremely active EDI Team, BAME Network and Durham People of Colour Association who provide safe spaces and have arranged the creation of an anti-racism training. Please don't let this deter you and know the university is extremely committed to making the university space accessible and inclusive for all.

Hope this was helpful!

-Lamesha (Official DU Rep)

Quick Reply

Latest