History GCSE vs Geography GCSE

Watch this thread
Static1
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hey,
I have to choose my options for my GCSE's between History or Geography. (I am in year 9)
I do OCR B Geography and Edexcel History. In history, we do: Crime and Punishment, Russia and the Soviet Union and Cold war, and Henry VIII

History:
- I'm very good at history
- I find it very interesting and fun
-BUT, I HAVE HEARD THAT IT IS VERY CONTENT HEAVY AND A DIFFICULT SUBJECT (AND YOU HAVE TO APPLY KNOWLEDGE TO EXAM STYLE QUESTIONS)

Geography:
-It is apparently easier
- I'm decent at Geography (in history i get 100% but in Geography i got 64% in my 1st test, and in my 2nd one I got 80%)

I am aiming for 9s
I dont want to do either history or geography for A Levels (I want to do medicine to Chem, bio and maths)
I am a more science and maths person, but i am decent in essay based subjects like English Literature.

I HAVE TO CHOOSE MY SUBJECT IN LESS THAN A WEEK, SO PLEASE RESPOND ASAP PLEASE!!
Last edited by Static1; 2 months ago
lofilofi
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 months ago
Hi! I had a similar problem choosing my gcses except I was better in geography but found history wayyyyy more interesting. I chose geography in the end and got a 9. I think if you're not considering either for A-Levels then do history because you find it more interesting AND you're currently doing better in it. Don't trust when people say geography is easier because to each their own! Good luck )
Justapersonalive
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
Well I’d say do the one you enjoy more. I do history edxcel exam board now and even though they cut out a unit it is very content heavy and quite difficult. Though my general advice is do what you love, it’s really hard to stay motivated to do something you generally don’t like as much. I don’t regret picking history, don’t let the fact that it is difficult put you off as someone aiming for all 9s I’m sure you’ll be fine.
Last edited by Justapersonalive; 2 months ago
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Static1)
Hey,
I have to choose my options for my GCSE's between History or Geography. (I am in year 9)
I do OCR B Geography and Edexcel History. In history, we do: Crime and Punishment, Russia and the Soviet Union and Cold war, and Henry VIII

History:
-BUT, I HAVE HEARD THAT IT IS VERY CONTENT HEAVY AND A DIFFICULT SUBJECT (AND YOU HAVE TO APPLY KNOWLEDGE TO EXAM STYLE QUESTIONS)

Geography:
-It is apparently easier
- I'm decent at Geography (in history i get 100% but in Geography i got 64% in my 1st test, and in my 2nd one I got 80%)

I am aiming for 9s
I dont want to do either history or geography for A Levels (I want to do medicine to Chem, bio and maths)
I am a more science and maths person, but i am decent in essay based subjects like English Literature.

I HAVE TO CHOOSE MY SUBJECT IN LESS THAN A WEEK, SO PLEASE RESPOND ASAP PLEASE!!
Why have you got to chose one of them? Aren't there other subjects?

I'd look at the specifications and the style of exam paper to decide which loos most interesting.
tanis manos
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
Hey,

History:

Geography:
-It is apparently easier

I am aiming for 9s

Do history its not hard and if u enjoy now it will be better at gcse
adeola101
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
.;(
pretendisaidhi
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
Hey,

History:

Geography:
-It is apparently easier

I am aiming for 9s

I'm so sorry this answer is so long XD I just have a lot to say, especially because my sister recently chose her gcse options too.

For some context, I'm a year 11 student predicted all 9s doing all humanities. I do OCR B for Geo and OCR A for history.
I'd say whilst I've found the history course a lot more interesting than geography which frankly is kinda boring, I am definitely struggling with history right now because of how much content we have. I have two thick textbooks for history and questions can be on literally one line from the book. We have a gazillion different types of questions to learn the structure for (18 markers, 24 markers, 8 markers, 20 markers, 25 markers, etc. etc.) and yeah I'm seriously dying. In comparison to RPE, geography and even English, history is the hardest humanity I take and definitely the subject I spend the most time revising.

Geography is definitely a subject I find easier to wing since a lot of it is basic maths, like finding averages and drawing graphs and things. Geography can come quite naturally sometimes in that you can take an educated guess, especially for Paper 3. The content is wayyy wayyy wayyy less than history and not too difficult even though topics like distinctive landscapes are a bit of a bore.

In terms of skills, I'd definitely say history is more demanding than geography. Learning huge chunks of content and essay writing can be good skills to master at gcse if you're going to go on to do A levels like Classics, English or Law. Since you're doing medicine though, I'd say Geography may be a better fit tbh. Not only is it less demanding, but the content overlaps a lot with biology and chemistry at gcse (e.g: climate change, nutrient cycling and the ecosystem stuff). I'd say only do history if you really are interested in it and intend to do it later on, or if you're planning to do essay subjects at A level and uni and so need the head start in mastering those skills essential for humanities. At gcse, competitive courses like medicine don't really care which subjects you took so long you get good grades tbh.

I mean, history does have some advantages aside from those additional skills I've previously mentioned like essay writing. It overlaps now and again with English, tho it depends what books you do and my history content covers a load of topics that are relevant to today which I find really interesting (e.g: I do international relations and the cold war, which strongly links to the current situation in Ukraine. In Migration 1000-2010, we also cover the immigration debate, so if you're into politics, you'll find it interesting).

I'm also decent at essay subjects like English Lit, but be aware that essays for history are very different to history essays. History essays are literally just regurgitating facts in certain structures, maybe with a bit of evaluating or extra insight, whereas English essays don't necessarily have a structure and you're more free to tackle the question in any way you want. Whilst I was decent at both history and geography in lower school, I definitely struggle more in history than geography now because of the jump honestly. The grade boundaries for history, like most humanities, can be quite harsh. Geography is not as bad as history tho in terms of grade boundaries, though I'm lucky because my school has always been strong in humanities so the teachers really support us well.

If you take both subjects, good luck because it's a lot of work. Interesting, but difficult to balance everything. If you're like me and your school demands you take 10-12 subjects, definitely think twice before doing both. I'm doing 11 + AS rn and I am barely functioning even with reduced content. I doubt you guys are gonna get reduced content as well. Will your school let you drop/switch subjects once you start year 10? If you really can't decide maybe trial them and see what happens?
Last edited by pretendisaidhi; 2 months ago
Static1
Rep:
(Original post by lofilofi)
Hi! I had a similar problem choosing my gcses except I was better in geography but found history wayyyyy more interesting. I chose geography in the end and got a 9. I think if you're not considering either for A-Levels then do history because you find it more interesting AND you're currently doing better in it. Don't trust when people say geography is easier because to each their own! Good luck )
hey, tysm for your advice. so ur suggesting to choose the one i'm currently doing better at? (History?) Also, I checked paper 1, 2 and 3 for both history and geography. we have covered most of history paper 1, but a relatively small amount of geography paper 1.
Last edited by Static1; 2 months ago
Static1
Rep:
(Original post by Justapersonalive)
Well I’d say do the one you enjoy more. I do history edxcel exam board now and even though they cut out a unit it is very content heavy and quite difficult. Though my general advice is do what you love, it’s really hard to stay motivated to do something you generally don’t like as much. I don’t regret picking history, don’t let the fact that it is difficult put you off as someone aiming for all 9s I’m sure you’ll be fine.
Thx. do you mind me asking what grade you currently are at for history?
Static1
Rep:
both are interesting in their own way. however, we have covered most of paper 1 his, compared to paper 1 geography. also, i have thought about my other 2 decisions: triple science and business. but i was very torn apart between history and geography, hence why I am asking here

(Original post by Muttley79)
Why have you got to chose one of them? Aren't there other subjects?

I'd look at the specifications and the style of exam paper to decide which loos most interesting.
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
both are interesting in their own way. however, we have covered most of paper 1 his, compared to paper 1 geography. also, i have thought about my other 2 decisions: triple science and business. but i was very torn apart between history and geography, hence why I am asking here
OK - I thought you meant your school was making you do one of them. It's personal preference and ther's also all the case studies to learn for Geography.
Static1
Rep:
(Original post by pretendisaidhi)
I'm so sorry this answer is so long XD I just have a lot to say, especially because my sister recently chose her gcse options too.

For some context, I'm a year 11 student predicted all 9s doing all humanities. I do OCR B for Geo and OCR A for history.
I'd say whilst I've found the history course a lot more interesting than geography which frankly is kinda boring, I am definitely struggling with history right now because of how much content we have. I have two thick textbooks for history and questions can be on literally one line from the book. We have a gazillion different types of questions to learn the structure for (18 markers, 24 markers, 8 markers, 20 markers, 25 markers, etc. etc.) and yeah I'm seriously dying. In comparison to RPE, geography and even English, history is the hardest humanity I take and definitely the subject I spend the most time revising.

Geography is definitely a subject I find easier to wing since a lot of it is basic maths, like finding averages and drawing graphs and things. Geography can come quite naturally sometimes in that you can take an educated guess, especially for Paper 3. The content is wayyy wayyy wayyy less than history and not too difficult even though topics like distinctive landscapes are a bit of a bore.

In terms of skills, I'd definitely say history is more demanding than geography. Learning huge chunks of content and essay writing can be good skills to master at gcse if you're going to go on to do A levels like Classics, English or Law. Since you're doing medicine though, I'd say Geography may be a better fit tbh. Not only is it less demanding, but the content overlaps a lot with biology and chemistry at gcse (e.g: climate change, nutrient cycling and the ecosystem stuff). I'd say only do history if you really are interested in it and intend to do it later on, or if you're planning to do essay subjects at A level and uni and so need the head start in mastering those skills essential for humanities. At gcse, competitive courses like medicine don't really care which subjects you took so long you get good grades tbh.

I mean, history does have some advantages aside from those additional skills I've previously mentioned like essay writing. It overlaps now and again with English, tho it depends what books you do and my history content covers a load of topics that are relevant to today which I find really interesting (e.g: I do international relations and the cold war, which strongly links to the current situation in Ukraine. In Migration 1000-2010, we also cover the immigration debate, so if you're into politics, you'll find it interesting).

I'm also decent at essay subjects like English Lit, but be aware that essays for history are very different to history essays. History essays are literally just regurgitating facts in certain structures, maybe with a bit of evaluating or extra insight, whereas English essays don't necessarily have a structure and you're more free to tackle the question in any way you want. Whilst I was decent at both history and geography in lower school, I definitely struggle more in history than geography now because of the jump honestly. The grade boundaries for history, like most humanities, can be quite harsh. Geography is not as bad as history tho in terms of grade boundaries, though I'm lucky because my school has always been strong in humanities so the teachers really support us well.

If you take both subjects, good luck because it's a lot of work. Interesting, but difficult to balance everything. If you're like me and your school demands you take 10-12 subjects, definitely think twice before doing both. I'm doing 11 + AS rn and I am barely functioning even with reduced content. I doubt you guys are gonna get reduced content as well. Will your school let you drop/switch subjects once you start year 10? If you really can't decide maybe trial them and see what happens?
thank you for that informative reply. in y9, we started all our gcses already. this was our trial year to see which one we like better etc. plus, i doubt my school will let me drop any subject in y10. I am also doing around 10 gcses i think. May I ask which one you are performing better at? and what grades you are getting in each of them?
Justapersonalive
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
Thx. do you mind me asking what grade you currently are at for history?
Sure , I’m currently on an 8/9 based on my last mocks I’d say about a solid 9 now.
Last edited by Justapersonalive; 2 months ago
pretendisaidhi
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
thank you for that informative reply. in y9, we started all our gcses already. this was our trial year to see which one we like better etc. plus, i doubt my school will let me drop any subject in y10. I am also doing around 10 gcses i think. May I ask which one you are performing better at? and what grades you are getting in each of them?
I get 9s in both. I just find that in order to maintain my 9 for history, I need to spend more time on it in comparison to geography.
Amishu Arora
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 2 months ago

How are you doing AS in y11? Did you do some GCSEs early?
Amishu Arora
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Justapersonalive)
Sure , I’m currently on an 8/9 based on my last mocks I’d say about a solid 9 now.
Legendary stuff 🐐
Amishu Arora
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
I get 9s in both. I just find that in order to maintain my 9 for history, I need to spend more time on it in comparison to geography.
Would you reckon I should pick geography? It's mainly about content memorisation for me tbh (and I'm decent at that). I do have the exam technique for history, and we will probably learn it whilst going through y10 and y11. Plus, it said in my school transitions page that history had a better department and they put lots of effort into teaching studentsName:  IMG_20220420_160155.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  174.8 KB(btw, I am Static1, just using my sibling's account)
Attached files
Last edited by Amishu Arora; 2 months ago
pretendisaidhi
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Amishu Arora)
How are you doing AS in y11? Did you do some GCSEs early?
No it's a qualification called FSMQ. It's AS level maths. I'm doing it instead of doing further maths gcse.
pretendisaidhi
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Amishu Arora)
Would you reckon I should pick geography? It's mainly about content memorisation for me tbh (and I'm decent at that). I do have the exam technique for history, and we will probably learn it whilst going through y10 and y11. Plus, it said in my school transitions page that history had a better department and they put lots of effort into teaching studentsName:  IMG_20220420_160155.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  174.8 KB(btw, I am Static1, just using my sibling's account)
I think even though history is harder, ultimately do whatever you enjoy more. It's easier to revise if you actually like it. From the sounds of it, you're more interested in history than geography, so it's really up to you There's pros and cons of taking both so
salosalo
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Hey,

History:

Geography:
-It is apparently easier

I am aiming for 9s

Hi there!
I'm currently a Year 10 History student. I knew immediately that I wanted to take History for a multitude of reasons.

Firstly, it's a strategically helpful pick because there's a lot of writing, sure, but virtually every GCSE requires so much writing. The time pressure will help to accelerate your writing speed, which is awesome in conjunction to English and other essay-based subjects.

Secondly, your ability to construct arguments will improve and make you a more convincing person. It really plays out like a debate on paper and it's fun to experience your perception and viewpoints developing as a result. History makes you look at things with an angle you've never thought of.

Likewise, it is very intriguing to see historic failures play out in the present day. History is an excellent pick for people who want to go into Law for that reason.

Your mathematical incline would probably be more suited to the graph-reading of Geography, but I ensure you that the critical thinking and excitement of GCSE History makes it a worthwhile pick. Plus, if you're that good with numbers then date remembrance must be easy sailing :rolleyes:

Those are a few reasons why I took it. I had enjoyed history significantly more than the other humanities as well and it's convenient that you can fit all the content on a timeline. I would take it at A-Levels but all my choices are Computer Science centric spare English lol

I hope this helps you make your choice! Have fun and don't stress about what you ultimately choose in the end.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (42)
26.25%
As I expected (52)
32.5%
Harder (59)
36.88%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (7)
4.38%

Watched Threads