The Student Room Group

Film studies vs creative writing

I know that I want to do English lit at uni, but I keep changing my mind between doing it with creative writing or film (and possibly television) studies.

I really like creative writing, but I don’t tend to have a constant motivation for it. I want to improve as a writer, and I feel like doing creative writing at uni would do that.

However, I have an interest in film that hasn’t really wavered. I love watching video essays that critically analyse movies and TV shows, and I love analysing films and TV shows for myself. I’d love to develop my critical thinking skills when it comes to watching media.

What would you recommend? How should I decide?
Reply 1
My brother did film for postgraduate and advertising for a masters. He's working in a warehouse now and been in and out of jobs for the past 10 years. My advice from what I've seen from everyone around me, do a degree for a job thats guaranteed at the end. If you do english lit you could do pgce and be a teacher afterwards.
Original post by nm.1324
My brother did film for postgraduate and advertising for a masters. He's working in a warehouse now and been in and out of jobs for the past 10 years. My advice from what I've seen from everyone around me, do a degree for a job thats guaranteed at the end. If you do english lit you could do pgce and be a teacher afterwards.

i’m actually planning on going into teaching as a realistic career path. i’m set on doing english lit, but i’d prefer to do it with either film (and television if possible) studies or creative writing.
Original post by bowlingforsoph
I know that I want to do English lit at uni, but I keep changing my mind between doing it with creative writing or film (and possibly television) studies.

I really like creative writing, but I don’t tend to have a constant motivation for it. I want to improve as a writer, and I feel like doing creative writing at uni would do that.

However, I have an interest in film that hasn’t really wavered. I love watching video essays that critically analyse movies and TV shows, and I love analysing films and TV shows for myself. I’d love to develop my critical thinking skills when it comes to watching media.

Hi @bowlingforsoph!

If you're interested in both film and creative writing, maybe look for a university that integrates those departments, works closely between the disciplines, and that has staff working across all three disciplines.

At Keele, for example, we offer degree programmes in both English and Creative Writing and English and Film Studies, and have academics on staff who are interested in the relationship between literature, film, and the creative process. Students on our single honours English Literature pathway may also get the option to chose modules from within other, related disciplines (depending on module availability), plus there are modules that reflect staff interests and incorporate film studies (for example, there's currently a Film Noir module, plus a module on Postmodernism: Fiction, Film, and Theory). There's more information about how that looks - and the options currently available - at https://www.keele.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/undergraduatecourses/englishliterature/. Other universities may have similar setups.

Ultimately it's about finding a course and a university that sounds interesting and exciting to you, and that gives you the options to pursue your interests. If you really love film, will fully integrating that into your degree programme make your degree more enjoyable and engaging? If so, then go for it! Or would you prefer to study mainly literature with occasional film/creative modules? In which case, a literature programme with some relevant optional modules may be the better choice. Worse case scenario, there are usually options to change/tailor your pathway during the first year if the programme you initially choose isn't quite right for you.

Another option might be to look at whether there are opportunities for you to get involved in film and creative projects through clubs and societies at university, or through extra-curricular activities run within the department. Using Keele as an example again, we have Keele Hall Readings (https://keelehallreadings.wordpress.com/) where students can hear writers sharing their work - and also have opportunities to share their own work at Open Mic sessions. There's also an active drama society and a student newspaper, both of whom are always on the lookout for writers, and there are several community art collectives on campus who use both written and visual mediums to work creatively with the local community.

Hope that helps!

Amy Louise :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)

Hi there @bowlingforsoph, how are you? :smile:

In the end, the decision comes down to what you think you will enjoy the most!

When I was deciding on my university course, I was torn between English Literature or Creative Writing. In the end, I went for Creative Writing. This was because I had spent some time thinking about what I really wanted to spend three years studying. I was familiar with English Literature, having studied it at school, but I always had a passion for writing my own material, and my gut told me to explore that passion!

Here I am, five years later, about to finish my postgraduate degree in Creative Writing. :wink:

My one piece of advice would be to never choose a course purely because of its career prospects. If you are passionate enough about your subject, and have a flair for it, then opportunities will present themselves naturally to you without you having to worry! If you pick the wrong course then it will be a long three years at university.

Best of luck with your decision, and I hope this has helped!

Konnie :smile:
Hello! I’m a current 3rd-year at the university of kent studying literature and language!

Choosing your degree can definitely be a challenge but I do have some tips that could possibly help you narrow down your choice!

Look at the modules offered in each course and see what you would be more interested in! Maybe the idea of writing a book sounds more fun to you then a module in film criticism.

If you would like to see the modules kent offers you can here:

Literature and creative writing: https://www.kent.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/132/english-literature-and-creative-writing

Literature and film: https://www.kent.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/366/english-literature-and-film#tab--stage3

It is also important to go to open days and speak to current students ! They’ll give you an insight into the how the degree is ran and be able to answer any questions you may have!

Finally look into career prospects! Would you enjoy going into the film industry or into something with creative writing! If your unsure of where to look you can use this website as a tool to see all the jobs available with your degree! https://www.sortyourfuture.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQjw06OTBhC_ARIsAAU1yOVmYk4IAePX--lJAqvnTeSoa5u070YFbnsAAlqQEQaRRgTSv-oNeXQaArJ8EALw_wcB

Don’t forget that university’s will also have societies! And I know here at Kent being part of the drama society you can also write, direct or be apart of production!

I hope this helps!
- Dale UKC rep!
Reply 6
i’m actually planning on going into teaching as a realistic career path. i’m set on doing english lit, but i’d prefer to do it with either film (and television if possible) studies or creative writing.

aah i misunderstood what you said before. this isnt my area then lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending