2016ismith
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hi, my school is starting to do preparation for EPQs. I know they don’t help with Medicine applicants (except for something to talk about in an interview) but I’m starting to worry about if I don’t get into med school and need a plan b. If I were to do a degree in biomed or chemistry or something not medical, will an row be helpful?
McGinger
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 months ago
Many Unis give an alternative lower grade A level offer 'plus EPQ grade A' etc - and it is obvious evidence of you 'studying beyond the A level syllabus' so it you can manage the time, its worth doing.

Good short online course about doing an EPQ here - https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/epq-success
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by 2016ismith)
Hi, my school is starting to do preparation for EPQs. I know they don’t help with Medicine applicants (except for something to talk about in an interview) but I’m starting to worry about if I don’t get into med school and need a plan b. If I were to do a degree in biomed or chemistry or something not medical, will an row be helpful?
An EPQ could result in a one grade lower offer but there is no guarantee of that as it depends on the Uni and course. Personally I think I would focus on getting the highest grades you can in A levels and to the extent that you have any free time, use it to focus on medicine related activities that would give you better things to talk about in an interview than an EPQ.
2016ismith
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Ok, thank you. This is really helpful. Yeah I think I do just need to focus on getting the best grades and other attributes to the medicine application
mike23mike
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
You are incorrect, an A in a relevant EPQ will lower your required grade at universities like Lancaster and Sheffield and Keele for medicine.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (34)
26.77%
As I expected (43)
33.86%
Harder (43)
33.86%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (7)
5.51%

Watched Threads