The Student Room Group

University January Intake Questions

I have recently got an offer for the january intake on a children's nursing course. I'm wondering what it's like starting in January compared to starting in September and if everyone there will have already made friends. When I apply for accomodation will it be with people that have already been living there for a few months and already know each other?
Jan intake is relatively new in the UK. You will join with a group of students who are all Jan intake so should be able to find 'study buddies' easily and find people you could move out with in year 2. If you do go into student accommodation then yes, you will be bumping up against students who started in Sept and are settled.

The Jan intake cohort is a little strange - it will mean you miss out on a long summer break. Look at the Edge Hill Nursing timetable for Jan intake semester dates https://www.edgehill.ac.uk/registry/term-dates/term-dates-2022-2023/

2021-22 Term Dates
Term 1 = 31-01-22 to 15-04-22
Term 2 = 02-05-22 to 19-08-22
Term 3 = 29-08-22 to 18-11-22

2022-23 Term Dates
Term 1 = 23-01-23 to 21-04-23
Term 2 = 08-05-23 to 18-08-23
Term 3 = 11-09-23 to 24-11-23
Original post by hannahbellexox
I have recently got an offer for the january intake on a children's nursing course. I'm wondering what it's like starting in January compared to starting in September and if everyone there will have already made friends. When I apply for accomodation will it be with people that have already been living there for a few months and already know each other?

Hi @hannahbellexox

Congratulations on your children's nursing offer!

As Mike said in the previous reply, at Edge Hill you will be part of your own cohort. You will start with everyone else offered a place on the January intake, therefore you won't be behind in any subject knowledge or in making friends. You'll have welcome week and the opportunity to make friends with your new cohort, who are all just starting uni too. The only difference between September intakes and January intakes in the month you start.

In terms of accommodation, you may be placed in a vacant room in a flat that has been living there in September, but January intake students can be housed together too. Once you find out your accommodation you may wish to find Facebook groups to 'meet' your future flatmates before you officially move in, Edge Hill run these and I am sure your university will probably run them too. It's a great way to make friends before you move in, and it helps with the nerves already knowing a bit about the people you will be living with.

I hope this helps, best of luck with your course! :smile:

Grace
BA History
MA Nineteenth Century Studies (History and English Literature)

Quick Reply

Latest