The Student Room Group

DBS Barring referral

Can anyone please help?

I was undertaking a care manager role for approximately 6 months after only practising social care for around 18 months and without relevant training.

I made one mistake and made a sexual gesture with a service user towards a member of staff. The service user presents a crude nature and it was just generally the flow of the conversation. The resident was not harmed and was not distressed in anyway. I realise that in my role as a manager that is was inappropriate and I thought I'd paid the price by losing the job I loved with the people I loved. However I've now been referred to the barring service and I am worried sick. I made one mistake and now I feel like a monster and an abuser and have completely shut myself off from my family and friends as I feeling like I've let everyone down. If anyone has any information to help me I'd be so appreciative x
Original post by lsl860709
Can anyone please help?

I was undertaking a care manager role for approximately 6 months after only practising social care for around 18 months and without relevant training.

I made one mistake and made a sexual gesture with a service user towards a member of staff. The service user presents a crude nature and it was just generally the flow of the conversation. The resident was not harmed and was not distressed in anyway. I realise that in my role as a manager that is was inappropriate and I thought I'd paid the price by losing the job I loved with the people I loved. However I've now been referred to the barring service and I am worried sick. I made one mistake and now I feel like a monster and an abuser and have completely shut myself off from my family and friends as I feeling like I've let everyone down. If anyone has any information to help me I'd be so appreciative x

That must be a very stressful situation for you to be in! But there is nothing more you can do at the moment, so worrying about it only means you are going through it twice, although it's very hard not to worry. I would just say be honest about what happened and learn from your mistake.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/information-for-individuals-that-have-been-referred-to-dbs

I found this website that may be helpful x
You need a lawyer. You really, really need a lawyer.

I’ve worked in care and treating people as actual proper non-infantilised human beings sometimes means engaging in chat that isn’t entirely comfortable. I know this. You know this. Your service user probably knows this. You might need a lawyer to explain this.

Get off the Internet and get a lawyer.

Quick Reply

Latest