This discussion is closed.
manps
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Hi, would be grateful for help with this question

In trying to get honest answers to awkward questions, for example "Do you find Statistics interesting?” randomised responses are often asked for. Individuals are asked to toss a fair coin; if a head shows they answer the question "Do you find Statistics interesting?", but if a tail shows they answer another question "Were you born on a Sunday?”Assuming that one is equally likely to be born on each of the seven days of the week and
that the proportion of individuals finding statistics interesting is p, determine the probability of a positive response from a randomly chosen individual. If a (large) class of students resulted in 25 % of them giving positive responses, estimate the proportion who find statistics interesting.
[email protected]
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I've probably interpretted this question incorrectly but...are you saying
1. You toss a coin
2. P(Heads)=1/2
Heads->Do you find stats interesting? P(yes)=p and P(no)=1-P do not.
3. P(Tails)=1/2
Tails->Were you born on a sunday? P(mon)=1/7 P(tues)=1/7 .....
=> Chance of tossing a coin and getting a "yes I like stats" response=1/2 x p = p/2
Large sample, 50% of them had the stats question, and 50% of them gave a "yes I like stats" response. So, *half* of the sample who answered the stats question liked stats, therefore because its a large sample, you can take p to equal a half.
manps
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
thanks for that answer, im not sure exactly what the question was asking. That is that exact Q from my class exercises.

Many thanks for your help. I do have one other question but i'll start a new thread for that. :tsr:
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (1)
11.11%
No (8)
88.89%

Watched Threads