The Student Room Group
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website

Film at Kent

Thinking of taking a place at Kent to do Film, I've just been to the open day and my overwhelming feeling was that the uni was quite dull and small. I've heard the nightlife isn't amazing either. I dropped out of Psychology at Exeter last year because the degree wasn't right, although everything else about the uni I loved. I'm wondering if I'm missing the mark a bit on Kent, or if I'm a just bit biased by Exeter. Should I think about clearing? I know that warwick and exeter also have great film courses.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by db660
Thinking of taking a place at Kent to do Film, I've just been to the open day and my overwhelming feeling was that the uni was quite dull and small. I've heard the nightlife isn't amazing either. I dropped out of Psychology at Exeter last year because the degree wasn't right, although everything else about the uni I loved. I'm wondering if I'm missing the mark a bit on Kent, or if I'm a just bit biased by Exeter. Should I think about clearing? I know that warwick and exeter also have great film courses.

Hey @db660!

I'm sorry you got this impression from the University of Kent, that's really surprising!

I have a close friend who studies film here, so if you have any specific questions about the course I can get him to weigh in.
Film at the University of Kent is quite an exciting course, and it shows with our course being ranked 6th in the UK in The Guardian University Guide 2021. You also have two options, one of a year abroad and another of a placement year which are excellent at helping you stand out as a graduate when you finish your degree. Our film students become part of a wide professional network, thanks to our excellent links with other film bodies. These include: Arts Council England, British Film Institute (BFI), Independent Cinema Office, Screen Archive South East and Kent Film.

Our Canterbury-campus us quite vibrant, and perhaps it did not feel this way since many students have returned home for exam season. On a typical day, you'll see hundreds of students walking about with many pop-up events happening daily. We have nearly 300 societies, so there is something for everyone, and these communities are always hosting large events for their groups, such as days out and taking over one of our on-campus clubs for a themed night.

In terms on nightlife, I believe we have an exciting and diverse scene. On campus there are several clubs, and multiple bars - each night hosting something different. My personal favourite K-Bar is a great social spot with a huge outside area which is amazing in the Spring/Summer. They also do make-your-own pitchers which are great fun. When you go into town, there are pubs and bars on every corner, including two Wetherspoons. You could probably go a whole month visiting a new place every day! (I have a guide on my favourites here). I would particularly recommend Cherry Tree who have an extremely famous (and alcoholic) cocktail which I can't repeat the name here... In terms of clubs in town, there are several, all with different themes. Such as Tokyo Tearooms who offer a great space for LGBTQ+ people, to Club Chemistry who have three floors dedicated to different genres, and The Cuban who have an incredible D&B scene.

I hope this information has helped. But if you have any specific course questions, or more about Kent, I'd be happy to help you :smile:

Nathan
UKC Rep
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending