The Student Room Group

Physics topics to share

Currently doing the EPQ and no topics of particular interest come to mind. Any intriguing ideas? What are some cool phenomena you've observed/ heard of/ read about? Some research ideas? Experiments?

Share any thoughts!
What subject are you doing at the moment? I think it best to play to these subjects. Then I can think of a few topics
(edited 1 year ago)
I do Math, Chem, Further Maths, and Physics. I aspire to be studying physics at uni, so I would want to do a project on physics.
Reply 3
Ive never done an epq. But i can provide ideas.
But the one thing that i found interesting was ‘Special relativity (which is a scientific theory regarding the relationship between space and time) and ‘Robert Millikan's oil-drop experiment’ (where he was able to determine the electric charge on each drop, and found that all of the drops had charges that were simple multiples of a single number 1.6x10^-19 C, the charge of an electron). I found these topics quite interesting.
But again ive never done an epq, so I’m not sure how it works. Here’s just two ideas :smile:
Hope this helps.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by 2022 g
Ive never done an epq. But i can provide ideas.
But the one thing that i found interesting was ‘Special relativity (which is a scientific theory regarding the relationship between space and time) and ‘Robert Millikan's oil-drop experiment’ (where he was able to determine the electric charge on each drop, and found that all of the drops had charges that were simple multiples of a single number 1.6x10^-19 C, the charge of an electron). I found these topics quite interesting.
But again ive never done an epq, so I’m not sure how it works. Here’s just two ideas :smile:
Hope this helps.

That's great thx:five:

I actually do remember the oil drop experiment because I did an SAT reading passage on it... I think he had gone into a feud with this other scientist who challenged his results due to the fact that he omitted a few pieces of data. It's quite interesting. I'll look into it:^_^:
Reply 5
Original post by randall7731
That's great thx:five:

I actually do remember the oil drop experiment because I did an SAT reading passage on it... I think he had gone into a feud with this other scientist who challenged his results due to the fact that he omitted a few pieces of data. It's quite interesting. I'll look into it:^_^:

No worries bro:h:

Goodluck!
(edited 1 year ago)
Fingers crossed:crossedf:
I found this website that can broaden you ideas. These have examplar epq`s to do with physics https://libguides.tts.edu.sg/EPQ/Physics
Original post by volatile_13
I found this website that can broaden you ideas. These have examplar epq`s to do with physics https://libguides.tts.edu.sg/EPQ/Physics

Wow man, that's actually extremely helpful. :yy::yy::yy:

It's just that I can't seem to open the documents.:tongue: Hmm. Minor issue. They'll serve as great examples of topics.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by randall7731
Wow man, that's actually extremely helpful. :yy::yy::yy:

It's just that I can't seem to open the documents.:tongue: Hmm. Minor issue. They'll serve as great examples of topics.

Hi sorry. I just realised that. You need to request the file from the website I think

Quick Reply

Latest