The Student Room Group

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Sex

Does sex completely drain your energy if you have chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) ? Will you be in extra pain or exhaustion compared to healthy people?

Is it also possible that you were feeling great and had no symptoms before sex but then after you completely lost all energy and started getting symptoms again?

Does it completely drain you and is it more painful to have sex if you have moderate CFS?

I’m just curious because I’m concerned and worried.
Everyone is different, so no single answer.

Sex is a physical act that uses energy. Follow that up with surges of dopamine, and it's a normal effect to feel sleepy and tired afterwards (especially if doing it right).

If chronically fatigued it may well reduce your libido.
Original post by Strawbaru
Does sex completely drain your energy if you have chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) ? Will you be in extra pain or exhaustion compared to healthy people?

Is it also possible that you were feeling great and had no symptoms before sex but then after you completely lost all energy and started getting symptoms again?

Does it completely drain you and is it more painful to have sex if you have moderate CFS?

I’m just curious because I’m concerned and worried.

Hi there,

We're sorry to hear you're feeling concerned and worried. If you want to talk about chronic fatigue syndrome and sex, we would recommend using our Find a Service Tool: https://www.brook.org.uk/find-a-service/ to find a sexual health clinic or GP near you to discuss this with. They also may be able to refer you for Sex and Relationships counselling if you need further support. Sex should feel comfortable and pleasurable - you can take sexual activity at a pace you find comfortable and communicate your health needs with your partners if you feel safe to do so.

Francesca

Quick Reply

Latest