Newham Collegiate Sixth form

Watch this thread
jazmin768
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
does anyone go NCS? if so please let me know any tips on how to get in, it’s my dream sixth form :/ but i’m not quite sure if i’ll live up to the expectations
Jaan_7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by jazmin768)
does anyone go NCS? if so please let me know any tips on how to get in, it’s my dream sixth form :/ but i’m not quite sure if i’ll live up to the expectations
Hi Jazmin,

I currently go to the NCS and I’m in year 12 doing biology, chemistry and philosophy.

To give you tips to get in, it’s mostly about the grades.

1) Firstly, check the website of NCS to find out what the grade boundaries are for the subjects you want to take. (Ideally you would want an 8 or 9 in the subject you want to take).

2) Understand what grades you need to get for other subjects in order to get in. For example, to enter you need a minimum grade 7 for maths and english.

3) Understand that you would need a minimum 62 points in your top 8 GCSE grades in order to get in.

Information about the grades is here and on the website:

https://sixthform.london/wp-content/...ents-21-22.pdf

I’m assuming you are doing your GCSE this year.

If NCS are accepting people on the day of the GCSE results, where you have to physically go to the sixth form this year, you want to make sure you go early, because there will be a very big line.

If however, they are accepting people online, then that’s different and might include a personal statement.

Again, check how NCS are recruiting people this year on their website.

To answer your second part, the jump from GCSE to A level is big, but not impossible. If you start working hard early, you will be ahead and will be doing good.

Working hard means:

Being organised
Doing homework properly
Focusing in class
Revising

It’s not possible to ‘always’ do these things, but the more you do it, the more advantage you have.

Living up to the expectation won’t be too hard if you get in. In a few months you will get into a routine and the learning and stuff will seem normal for you.

Hopefully I answered some of your questions.

Reply if you have any other questions you want me to clarify.
Last edited by Jaan_7; 1 month ago
Huzam001
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Jaan_7)
Hi Jazmin,

I currently go to the NCS and I’m in year 12 doing biology, chemistry and philosophy.

1) Firstly, check the website of NCS to find out what the grade boundaries are for the subjects you want to take. (Ideally you would want an 8 or 9 in the subject you want to take).

2) Understand what grades you need to get for other subjects in order to get in. For example, to enter you need a minimum grade 7 for maths and english.

3) Understand that you would need a minimum 62 points in your top 8 GCSE grades in order to get in.

If NCS are accepting people on the day of the GCSE results, where you have to physically go to the sixth form this year, you want to make sure you go early, because there will be a very big line.

If however, they are accepting people online, then that’s different and might include a personal statement.

To answer your second part, the jump from GCSE to A level is big, but not impossible. If you start working hard early, you will be ahead and will be doing good.

Working hard means:

Being organised
Doing homework properly
Focusing in class
Revising

It’s not possible to ‘always’ do these things, but the more you do it, the more advantage you have.

Living up to the expectation won’t be too hard if you get in. In a few months you will get into a routine and the learning and stuff will seem normal for you.

YOOOO you go NCS too? Finally I found someone else on this website niiicceeee I’m year 12 too btw
Last edited by Huzam001; 1 month ago
Jaan_7
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Huzam001)
YOOOO you go NCS too? Finally I found someone else on this website niiicceeee I’m year 12 too btw
Yeah 😂😂

what’s your name ??
Huzam001
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Yeah 😂😂

what’s your name ??
Lol no way I’m saying my name here.

Why don’t you pm me we can talk there?
jazmin768
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi Jazmin,

Working hard means:

Being organised
Doing homework properly
Focusing in class
Revising

thank you so much for the help, overall have you liked your experience there so far?
Jaan_7
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by jazmin768)
thank you so much for the help, overall have you liked your experience there so far?
No worries, sorry for the late reply.

It’s overall good. With every sixth form journey, there are always ups and downs.

People assume it’s hard to cope with the competitive atmosphere at ncs, but to be honest if you got the grades and got in, you will most likely keep up, and it will feel normal and not competitive at all (only exams will).

If you work hard from the very beginning and stay organised and on top of things from the start, then you can cruise along the whole year without too much stress.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (3)
60%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (1)
20%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (1)
20%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (0)
0%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (0)
0%
I’m starting to consider my university options (0)
0%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (0)
0%
I’m not planning on going to university (0)
0%

Watched Threads