The Student Room Group

LSE vs. Leiden U vs. IHEID for IR

Hello! I have been admitted to the MSc of International Relations and Diplomacy (MIRD) program for Leiden University, as well as the Graduate Institute of Geneva (IHEID) for MA in International Relations/Political Science. I am currently waitlisted for LSE's MSc in Conflict Studies program (at this point I have not a ton of hope that I will be admitted but fingers are crossed!). If I gain admission into the LSE program, I will likely go to that program over the other two. If I don't however, I am having difficulty choosing between the Leiden U and the IHEID program.

Both are 2-year programs (whereas LSE is 1 year). Leiden is a relatively newer program than IHEID's program, and I assume less well known? Although would love anyone's perspective on the prestige factor of both schools- which is I think is likely important career-wise. I am not particularly tied to living/working in North America or Europe- meaning I would generally like the flexibility of working in either place. I am not sure if American companies/orgs are as familiar with Leiden U as with IHEID - but again would love any commentary on this.

In terms of the program's content, both are similar and check the boxes of learning quantitative skills for research and having a dissertation completed at the end of each program. The only main difference is that Leiden seems a bit more practically focused on diplomatic training (with the Clingendael institute), and IHEID is more academic leaning. In terms of alumni/post-grad career trajectory, I have a hunch that IHEID students have more opportunities than Leiden based on information on both programs' websites. However, I would love to be proven wrong. Additionally, in Geneva, I would be able to practice my French for the two years that I am there. The price of both programs likely evens out because of living expenses in Geneva being so high, yet having lower tuition than Leiden- and lower living expenses in the Hague where the program would be. I am welcome to any and all advice/questions! Thanks.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 1
Which one did you end up choosing? I'd love to hear as I plan on applying to all three schools for similar programs, and am also not tied to Europe but I'd like to work there a bit before maybe heading back to the US.
Original post by christaps13
Which one did you end up choosing? I'd love to hear as I plan on applying to all three schools for similar programs, and am also not tied to Europe but I'd like to work there a bit before maybe heading back to the US.
Hi, I was wondering if you did end up applying to those and if you did, which did you choose and why?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending