The Student Room Group

What Course is best?

Hey there!
I am currently in Year 12 studying for my A-Levels (Geography, Psychology, and Sport Lv3 BTEC). In the future, I hope to become a primary school teacher focusing on ages y4+. Throughout my school life, I have always wanted to teach - originally secondary geography, but after work experience in primary I decided primary was more me :smile: - and was set on taking a 3-year geography degree and then onto a PGCE year to achieve QTS. However, in a recent talk I was asked the question ''Think of your Course, can you see yourself doing this for three+ years'' and to be brutally honest I cannot see myself doing geography for three years straight. And so I'm left at a crossroads as to what degree to choose? I wanted to get a degree in a subject and then PGCE so that I have a backup degree if life throws a curveball and so avoided Primary Teaching Degrees. But now I'm stuck id love to hear from anyone that did any Geography / Psychology / Sports degrees or even PGCE / Primary Teaching and how you found your courses and the journey to teaching! Thankyou for any help/advice!:u:
Original post by hughesy61_
Hey there!
I am currently in Year 12 studying for my A-Levels (Geography, Psychology, and Sport Lv3 BTEC). In the future, I hope to become a primary school teacher focusing on ages y4+. Throughout my school life, I have always wanted to teach - originally secondary geography, but after work experience in primary I decided primary was more me :smile: - and was set on taking a 3-year geography degree and then onto a PGCE year to achieve QTS. However, in a recent talk I was asked the question ''Think of your Course, can you see yourself doing this for three+ years'' and to be brutally honest I cannot see myself doing geography for three years straight. And so I'm left at a crossroads as to what degree to choose? I wanted to get a degree in a subject and then PGCE so that I have a backup degree if life throws a curveball and so avoided Primary Teaching Degrees. But now I'm stuck id love to hear from anyone that did any Geography / Psychology / Sports degrees or even PGCE / Primary Teaching and how you found your courses and the journey to teaching! Thankyou for any help/advice!:u:

If you are 100% certain that primary teaching is the only thing you want to do, go for BA/BEd in Primary Education.
But if you have other interests or want more options, go for a degree then a PGCE.

I personally did the latter route; I qualified last year as a primary teacher :smile:
Hey there!

Hi!

I can completely understand where you are coming from and it's true, if you want to last the three years of you degree, you have to make sure it's something that you are interested in. If you are 100% certain you would want to be a primary school teacher then do a degree in Primary Education - that's what I did. My degree allowed me to understand what teaching is about, the history of education, child psychology and development, special educational needs... The list goes on. I also had the opportunity to undertake placements which solidified my career aspirations too. I have just finished my degree and will be starting my PGCE in September, but don't think that the course means you can only be a primary school teacher. It can lead you down multiple pathways in psychology, sociology and early childhood work.

If you have any questions about the degree, ask away!

Mel - CU Scarborough Student Ambassador
Hey there!

Hi @hughesy61_,

It is great to hear you are looking to go in to teaching in the future. There is already lots of great advice on this thread.

There is no set route to get in to teaching, like previously said you could do an undergraduate primary education with QTS degree, if you know you would like to be a primary teacher, you wouldn't then need to complete a PGCE course afterwards. There are lots of skills and knowledge you learn from doing a degree, which will be transferrable to many sectors. Many graduate schemes don't look for a particular degree subject when recruiting.

If you are looking at completing an undergraduate degree first and then wish to complete a PGCE afterwards, then I would certainly encourage you to think about what subjects you enjoy. You might want to consider an education based degree if you are having second thoughts about studying geography. You clearly have an interest in education and a professional education degree could help prepare you for a PGCE afterwards. Similarly, a social science degree in a subject like childhood studies would allow you to explore childhood and youth in its social, political and cultural contexts, which may be of interest and again help prepare you for a PGCE afterwards

I hope this helps and good look with your research!

Pippa
Course Enquiries Team

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending